Analyzing Grayson's First Start in the Bigs

nvpacchi

Sometimes, a young guy just needs a kick in the ass.  But not old guys.  Our asses are fine unkicked.

I think players with big time talent sometimes lose focus and think that they can get by on talent alone.  At the big league level, every pitch has to be on.  Not most, all.  And, if you do miss, miss safe, not over the plate.  Maybe Grayson needed that reminder.  Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Grayson keeps pitching the way he did against Texas, he's not going back down. 

We know this team needs another right-handed reliever so moving Wells to the pen, probably makes the most sense. Wells would immediately be a high leverage guy they need in the 8th inning. While he may want to start, and ultimately may get a chance to start again in the future, he fills a need for this team right now. 

Tony, what if they evaluate Wells as a better starter than Kremer or Bradish?  I'm assuming Gibson and Irvin are safe for now.

Edited by NCRaven

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Tony, what if they evaluate Wells as a better starter than Kremer or Bradish?  I'm assuming Gibson and Irvin are safe for now.

I think because of Well's experience as a reliever he's the most likely candidate. It's a skill to be able to get yourself warmed up fairly quickly as well as learning to pitch on less than 5 days or rest. Neither Kremer or Bradish have that experience. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Sometimes, a young guy just needs a kick in the ass.  But not old guys.  Our asses are fine unkicked.

I think players with big time talent sometimes lose focus and think that they can get by on talent alone.  At the big league level, every pitch has to be on.  Not most, all.  And, if you do miss, miss safe, not over the plate.  Maybe Grayson needed that reminder.  Maybe.

Except his start in Norfolk, after he got his "kick in the ass" looked like his starts in ST.

It's almost like he's just working through some stuff, which happens to young guys and old guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And this, all of this, is why it was stupid to think he wasn't one of the best six options coming out of ST even with his struggles. 

Shame it took an injury.

Hindsight is 2020.  If he got blown up everyone here would be saying how bad of a decision it was to bring him up.  All you have to do is look at the first couple pages of the game thread for that start (myself included).

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think Grayson is going back down. He’s lining up pretty nicely. 

Oakland

@ Washington

Detroit

He’s about to go on a tear  

If Grayson pitches well I don't see how Elias can send him back to Norfolk. The only tricky thing will be managing around the innings limit the team has placed on Grayson this season.

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Hindsight is 2020.  If he got blown up everyone here would be saying how bad of a decision it was to bring him up.  All you have to do is look at the first couple pages of the game thread for that start (myself included).

Who is speaking with hindsight?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And this, all of this, is why it was stupid to think he wasn't one of the best six options coming out of ST even with his struggles. 

Shame it took an injury.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

6 options.  5 starters.   Everyone thought he was one of the 6 best options.

Well, not everyone, since some people wanted to start Voth on Wednesday.   Personally, I was comfortable with the decision to send him down considering the other options and how he was pitching at the time, and I was comfortable with the decision to call him up considering the exact situation at the time.  I had hopes that he would rise to the occasion but I wasn’t sure that he would.   I’m really glad he did, and I think the decision about what to do when Bradish is ready could be much trickier than any of these earlier decisions.   But, we can worry about that when Bradish is ready.  Right now, I just want to see how things go for Grayson and everyone else in the rotation.  

On 4/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think Grayson is going back down. He’s lining up pretty nicely. 

Oakland

@ Washington

Detroit

He’s about to go on a tear  

This is a pretty good reason to let him get these next three starts regardless. Not exactly the murderer's row within the AL East team, so it's a good way to get his feet wet. As long as he doesn't revert back to no/limited command Grayson, he's probably getting AT LEAST these three starts. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

He has zero fastball command right now. The Sheets HR he was totally sitting offspeed since Grayson couldn't get the fastball in the zone. 

The Berger homer was on a fastball in the zone...right down the middle. Very frustrating. Time to send him down and bring back Bradish.