Analyzing Grayson's First Start in the Bigs

nvpacchi

18 minutes ago, Redgrape said:

Obviously Grayson has had some disappointing outings, but wow does he have an impressive pitch arsenal. Fastball, sweeper, and change up all seem to be plus pitches.

I like his slurve better, honestly. 

@RZNJ😉

Anyways, people seem to expect that a rookie pitcher is going to come up and immediately dominate. He's clearly still learning his craft at the MLB level. He's made 3 starts. Patience. The arsenal and tools are very much there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Wow, he's been unbelievably bad...  I know he's young and a rookie and it's only been a few starts, but I never thought he'd be ERA 10.00 runs a game bad...

Could he be hurt??  

If you take a look under the hood he actually settled down and absolutely dominated after the first inning. He also established his change-up quite a bit more and it looked incredible. Better days are ahead. He just needs to get over his 1st inning jitters. I'm sure the rain delay probably didn't help things today.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

If you take a look under the hood he actually settled down and absolutely dominated after the first inning. He also established his change-up quite a bit more and it looked incredible. Better days are ahead. He just needs to get over his 1st inning jitters. I'm sure the rain delay probably didn't help things today.

Don’t expect that guy to actually be rational.

Excellent comeback after the first. His current tendency to be on one inning, off the next, is similar to my memory of a young Jake Arrieta. 

Jake seemed to stay in that mode for years, until figuring it out almost instantly once he wasn't an Oriole. Hopefully Grayson turns that corner sooner. 

• Upvote 2

issuing the first walk of the season to Luis Robert set the tone for what was to come,  but nice to see him buckle down

didn't get to watch the game, but seeing 8 whiffs on the change up is great! now just need to put it together from inning 1.

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who is calling the pitches here?  Adley isn’t putting down fingers. I think it’s our Asst PC. Scrap the analytics. Just establish one pitch. 

No catcher is throwing down fingers anymore fyi. There's a button system in the catchers armband that calls pitches audibly into a headset thing in the pitchers hat. Instituted last year to prevent all the various sign-stealing cheating going on re Houston trash can banging, etc.

And side note on this: I heard an interview the other day where Shohei is the only pitcher that's the opposite. He wears the armband and his catcher where's the headset. He's got way too many variations of pitches and could take upwards of 30 seconds or more for him to get the catcher to call what he wants to throw. He's totally memorized the armband like he's texting without looking.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who is calling the pitches here?  Adley isn’t putting down fingers. I think it’s our Asst PC. Scrap the analytics. Just establish one pitch. 

Do you think  they changed pitch callers after the first?

The issue wasn't what was being called.  They hit hrs off both fastballs and breaking balls in the first.  The problem was that he couldn't throw a strike that wasn't in the center of the plate.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What makes you think analytics are telling him not to throw fastballs?