Delmarva Shorebirds 2023

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It doesn't work for me with work on the weekdays, but heads up also the Shorebirds are a bit closer to any DC types at the Fred Nats next week, including a 1205 Wednesday game in which theoretically 95 congestion could be kind of sort of eluded.

Elijah Green right next to Jackson Holliday on the Age sort, as one would expect.

Elijah better hope that .615 BABIP continues.  13 K’s in 29 PA so far.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Shorebirds stand at 10-7.  With Holliday gone, the top hitters right now are Creed Wlllems (1.350 OPS), Sammy Basallo (.856) and Stiven Acevedo (.782).  Big disappointments to this point are Anderson De Los Santos (.476) and Carter Young (.393).   As a whole, the team leads the Carolina League at 7.35 runs/game and a .779 OPS.  Those numbers will probably drop with Holliday gone.  Their hitting squad is 4th youngest in the league at 20.5 average age.

On the pitching side, Juan Nunez is carrying a 3.78 ERA in 16.1 IP over 4 starts, Moises Chace is at 3.38 on 13.1 IP including 1 start and 3 relief appearances.  Both are limiting the hits but walking way too many guys, and the staff in general is extremely walk-happy, averaging 7.0 BB/9, worst in the league.  The big disappointment so far is Juan De Los Santos, who had a 4.29 ERA at Delmarva last year but has a 12.54 ERA in 3 starts, allowing over 2 hits an inning, while repeating the league .  The team is second-worst in the league in runs/game (6.18) and ERA (5.35).  Their staff is the youngest in the league, averaging 21.2

The Shorebirds’ defense has been good, 3rd in fielding percentage at .972 and leading in CS% at 39%.   

• Upvote 2

The Shorebirds are really fun to watch.  After watching the last few games a couple things have stick out.

1- Willems is a pretty good catcher.  Still has work to do receiving, but is quick and accurate on SB attempts.  It’s great to see the big guy both hitting & playing solid D.

2- Carter Young has been a disappointment so far both in the field and in the box.  I havnt been impressed by his range or arm.  Quite a few balls I thought he should have made the play on.  At bat he looks absolutely lost. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

The Shorebirds are really fun to watch.  After watching the last few games a couple things have stick out.

1- Willems is a pretty good catcher.  Still has work to do receiving, but is quick and accurate on SB attempts.  It’s great to see the big guy both hitting & playing solid D.

2- Carter Young has been a disappointment so far both in the field and in the box.  I havnt been impressed by his range or arm.  Quite a few balls I thought he should have made the play on.  At bat he looks absolutely lost. 

Good to hear about Willems’ defense.  As to Young, it looks like we gambled and lost, if he’s not at least playing good defense.  His hitting has been abysmal, but he could continue to work on that so long as the defense was good.  I’ll be patient, but early returns are very disappointing.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Good to hear about Willems’ defense.  As to Young, it looks like we gambled and lost, if he’s not at least playing good defense.  His hitting has been abysmal, but he could continue to work on that so long as the defense was good.  I’ll be patient, but early returns are very disappointing.  

He had a nasty injury so I’m being patient and giving him benefit of the doubt, but that patience is wearing off. 

Went to the SB's game last night. First of all, it was freezing - but I digress.

Basallo didn't play and the game was fairly anemic. That is until about the 5th inning when Jared Beck came in to pitch for the SB's. Man, he was impressive. Tall (literally 7 feet tall) lanky lefty. 9 K's over 4.2 IP.  Good, smooth, consistent mechanics and he seems to pitch with confidence. They didn't post pitch speeds but I couldn't help but to think about Randy Johnson.  I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Went to the SB's game last night. First of all, it was freezing - but I digress.

Basallo didn't play and the game was fairly anemic. That is until about the 5th inning when Jared Beck came in to pitch for the SB's. Man, he was impressive. Tall (literally 7 feet tall) lanky lefty. 9 K's over 4.2 IP.  Good, smooth, consistent mechanics and he seems to pitch with confidence. They didn't post pitch speeds but I couldn't help but to think about Randy Johnson.  I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

Awesome to hear!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

4 hit day for Carter Young today to get his BA over the Mendoza line and his OPS over .600.  That may not sound like much, but he was under .400 on April 28.  Hopefully this big day will boost his confidence.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Got to watch the Shorebirds Sunday and Basallo definitely showed a good arm in terms of power gunning down a couple runners trying to steal. There was also a bit of zip on some of his throws back to the pitcher.

They were going against Susana who is one of the higher upside guys in the minors who can throw triple digits so Young getting 2 hits off of him is encouraging.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:09 PM, Frobby said:

4 hit day for Carter Young today to get his BA over the Mendoza line and his OPS over .600.  That may not sound like much, but he was under .400 on April 28.  Hopefully this big day will boost his confidence.   

Pretty admirable considering how he started the season.  A lot of people might not have been able to come out of a monster slump like that.   Kind of impressive.  

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty admirable considering how he started the season.  A lot of people might not have been able to come out of a monster slump like that.   Kind of impressive.  

Still a vey long way to go for a college guy in Delmarva with a sub-.700 OPS.  But at least his trajectory is pointing in the right direction now.  

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Still a vey long way to go for a college guy in Delmarva with a sub-.700 OPS.  But at least his trajectory is pointing in the right direction now.  

Young followed up his 4/4 with a 5/5.  If he logs a 6/6 today he might get that OPS over .700 :) I had just about written him off, great to see signs of life. 

33 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Young followed up his 4/4 with a 5/5.  If he logs a 6/6 today he might get that OPS over .700 :) I had just about written him off, great to see signs of life. 

Saw that.  It’s almost thread-worthy, but let him stay hot a longer.  

Young had as many hits in the last two days as he had in the entire month of April (in 74 PA).   

On 4/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, Frobby said:

The Shorebirds stand at 10-7.  With Holliday gone, the top hitters right now are Creed Wlllems (1.350 OPS), Sammy Basallo (.856) and Stiven Acevedo (.782).  Big disappointments to this point are Anderson De Los Santos (.476) and Carter Young (.393).   As a whole, the team leads the Carolina League at 7.35 runs/game and a .779 OPS.  Those numbers will probably drop with Holliday gone.  

Well, yeah.  They’re now at 5.20 runs/game, which still leads the Carolina League by a hair, but their average has dropped by more than 2 runs a game. They’ve averaged 4.12 runs/game since my prior post.  It’ll probably get worse now that Willems and Hodo have been promoted too.  Not much to see here outside of Basallo (now at .798).   Elio Prado (.742) is their only other current player with 100+ PA who is carrying an OPS over .700.   

On 4/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, Frobby said:

On the pitching side, Juan Nunez is carrying a 3.78 ERA in 16.1 IP over 4 starts, Moises Chace is at 3.38 on 13.1 IP including 1 start and 3 relief appearances.  Both are limiting the hits but walking way too many guys, and the staff in general is extremely walk-happy, averaging 7.0 BB/9, worst in the league.  The big disappointment so far is Juan De Los Santos, who had a 4.29 ERA at Delmarva last year but has a 12.54 ERA in 3 starts, allowing over 2 hits an inning, while repeating the league .  The team is second-worst in the league in runs/game (6.18) and ERA (5.35)

Some progress here, as the team walk rate is down from 7.0 to 5.7, and ERA down from 5.35 to 4.42 (9th/12) and runs/game down from 6.18 to 5.10 (9th).  Juan Nunez continues to lead the starters with a 3.45 ERA and 1.17 WHIP, with a solid 11.1 K/9 and not-awful 4.7 BB/9.  19-year old Deivi Cruz is probably the most interesting pitcher on the staff, carrying a 4.33 ERA and 1.472 WHIP with 11.2 K/9 and 6.1 BB/9.   Basically, get the walks down and you might have a pitcher.  In the bullpen, 19-year old Yaqui Rivera has a 1.83 ERA, 1.229 WHIP, 13.7 K/9 and 5.5 BB/9.