Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I get it but he was hot garbage last year and I’m not sure you ignore that because of a really hot 3 week stretch. 

If he was merely ok last year, I would agree but he was terrible.

Now, like I said, if he is still doing this in 2 weeks or so, you have to make the change.

I'm trying to figure out how much you want to discount his bad performance because he was almost 2 years under the league average age.  He's still almost a year under.  Holliday only got a cup of coffee in lo-A and held his own, but as bad as Willems was he did OPS over .800 in August, so he clearly started to figure things out.

Holliday was hitting against high schoolers when Willems was going to bat against pros.  The fact that he failed spectacularly at first shouldn't be held too hard against him IMO, considering his age, and the fact that he has clearly adjusted and improved.

I'm not saying you discount it entirely, but in my eyes he should at least get some benefit of the doubt on his current performance.

Edited by Hallas

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'm trying to figure out how much you want to discount his bad performance because he was almost 2 years under the league average age.  He's still almost a year under.  Holliday only got a cup of coffee in lo-A and held his own, but as bad as Willems was he did OPS over .800 in August, so he clearly started to figure things out.

Holliday was hitting against high schoolers when Willems was going to bat against pros.  The fact that he failed spectacularly at first shouldn't be held too hard against him IMO, considering his age, and the fact that he has clearly adjusted and improved.

I'm not saying you discount it entirely, but in my eyes he should at least get some benefit of the doubt on his current performance.

Holliday is on a completely different level in terms of talent, advanced skills, etc…

Who Willems was playing against last year is irrelevant. He had a 585 OPS and while you point out his August stats, he also ended the year 7-30.

He has to do a lot more to get moving plus I think he’s hurt right now.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday is on a completely different level in terms of talent, advanced skills, etc…

Who Willems was playing against last year is irrelevant. He had a 585 OPS and while you point out his August stats, he also ended the year 7-30.

He has to do a lot more to get moving plus I think he’s hurt right now.

I don't disagree with Holliday's promotion, it's well deserved and you're right that he as loads more talent.  I do think that Holliday was given only a brief chance to fail because he only spent 2 weeks in Delmarva, and I don't think that Willems at this juncture needs to prove more than Holliday.  If he spent another year, or even half a year, languishing in low-A I'd be more inclined to agree with you.  In general I don't think that "talent" or "pedigree" should dictate promotions anyway.

That said, we don't have access to statcast data for the low minors, so if there's something in the batted ball data that says that Willems is doing something worse than Holliday I'd buy that.

Edited by Hallas

Willems absolutely has to prove more.

Holliday was the first pick of the draft. An advanced HS bat that received a large signing bonus.

He went to ST and held his own vs pros.

Obviously the Os agree that Willems has more to prove as well although maybe he is hurt more than we know.

Edited by Sports Guy

Willems hit his 5th HR.  BA .422 OPS 1.349.  I think Basalllo competition is doing him a world of good.  The stroke looks good.  Compact, short, and powerful.  He’s using the whole field. 

.77 BB/K rate up from .20 last season.  Only 41 ABs, but all trends looking good. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Willems hit his 5th HR.  BA .409 OPS 1.337.  I think Basalllo competition is doing him a works of good.  The strike looks good.  Compact, short, and powerful.  He’s using the whole field. 

.77 BB/K rate up from .20 last season.  Only 41 ABs, but all tended looking good. 

Kenny Powers GIF

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Another laser up the middle for a 3 hit game.  The man looks uber confident at the plate.  Love the mojo.  Consider me a fan.  

This deserves an even more appropriate Kenny Powers GIF:
kenny-powers-eastbound-and-down.gif

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/26/2023 at 4:15 PM, Frobby said:

We’re not seriously mentioning Willems in the same breath as Holliday, are we?  I’m glad Willems is off to a good start, but he’d need a couple of really good months before any promotion can be considered.  

Keep dissing Willems.  It’s working.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Keep dissing Willems.  It’s working.

Glad to be of service.  I think what’s making me happiest about Willems so far is that he’s hitting for average.  I knew he had power, so I’m not shocked at him getting hot enough to hit 5 homers in 3 weeks.  But he’s getting a lot of other hits and his K rate is only 18.2%.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Glad to be of service.  I think what’s making me happiest about Willems so far is that he’s hitting for average.  I knew he had power, so I’m not shocked at him getting hot enough to hit 5 homers in 3 weeks.  But he’s getting a lot of other hits and his K rate is only 18.2%.  

He’s been hitting, the k rate is down, and he looks like he knows he’s going to do damage every time he steps on the box.  He’s full of moxy.