Tough Road Ahead

baltfan

Watching the Rays get out to a 9-0 start with a bunch of relievers they turned into very good starters.  Then, watching the Yankees come to town with basically unheralded live arm after live arm starting and then coming out of the pen, it is very concerning the Orioles will never get there.  Hell, even a guy we cut is killing us this series.  I miss the days of the top of division being lousy at development. 

Depressing weekend. 

It is early but this was a good measuring stick that shows we're probably still a long way off from really seriously competing in this division. I mean the Yankees have, what, 3 SP's out and they still out-pitched us. When those guys come back they're going to be able to trade the guys they're using now to get whatever they need at the deadline. Hard to catch-up.  Could be very interesting at trade deadline time for the Orioles, especially if these guys at triple A keep beating the door down. We know Elias won't hesitate to trade some of these vets for more prospects. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, vab said:

It is early but this was a good measuring stick that shows we're probably still a long way off from really seriously competing in this division. I mean the Yankees have, what, 3 SP's out and they still out-pitched us. When those guys come back they're going to be able to trade the guys they're using now to get whatever they need at the deadline. Hard to catch-up.  Could be very interesting at trade deadline time for the Orioles, especially if these guys at triple A keep beating the door down. We know Elias won't hesitate to trade some of these vets for more prospects. 

I think you are right, but enough with the damn prospects.  We have more than enough already. It would seem that young players in the lineup would really benefit from having proven, experienced major league players in the lineup and in the clubhouse to take some of the pressure off of them and to help them navigate through the season.  Imagine the Braves heading into the offseason after 1990 saying: Terry Pendleton.....he would be useless.  We have all of this young talent.  Who needs a veteran who has won divisions and been to the World Series?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

To be clear, a lot of my post was less a commentary on the Orioles and more a commentary on how impressive the Yankees and Rays guys have looked. 

Let’s see how the Rays fare when they’re playing a non-doormat.  That said, it’s not easy to go 9-0, even against doormats.  They’ve taken full advantage of their soft schedule.  

• Upvote 1