The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Only 28,192 for the Jim Palmer ceremony.  I’m surprised, thought it would be higher and it looked better on TV.  Now at 1.857,007 with two games to go.  They’ll clearly finish over 1.9 mm, but maybe not quite as much as thought a few days ago.  

43,000 or so at today's sellout and 31,000 or so tomorrow 1,930,994?

15 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

The Orioles will outdraw the Nats in attendance this season for the first time since 2009, but just barely. I would like to believe we would easily be drawing in the high 30's each game had they stayed in Montreal. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

It’s been 19 years.  Time to let it go.   But, I think you’re probably wrong. 

The O’s drew 2.625 mm in 2005, the first year the Nats were in DC.   The Nats drew 2.73 mm that year.  This year the Nats drew 1.86 mm.  So the O’s will finish about 700 k shy of their Nats-era high, even though the Nats are siphoning away 870 k fewer fans than they did then.  

Bottom line, the O’s hurt their brand a lot between 2005 and 2021, and it will take several more years to repair it fully.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s been 19 years.  Time to let it go.   But, I think you’re probably wrong. 

The O’s drew 2.625 mm in 2005, the first year the Nats were in DC.   The Nats drew 2.73 mm that year.  This year the Nats drew 1.86 mm.  So the O’s will finish about 700 k shy of their Nats-era high, even though the Nats are siphoning away 870 k fewer fans than they did then.  

Bottom line, the O’s hurt their brand a lot between 2005 and 2021, and it will take several more years to repair it fully.   

The losing and poor on field product has hurt, but from 2012-2016 both teams were enjoying an upswing in the standings, with multiple post-season appearances. The Orioles were outdrawn every season during that stretch. This season (and into last season), the Orioles have been enjoying one of their best stretches of baseball in 40 plus years. The Nats on the other hand have been flat out awful since 2020, and yet they are drawing about the same number of fans, this season. If the Orioles were the only game in town, they most certainly would be drawing better.

3 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

The losing and poor on field product has hurt, but from 2012-2016 both teams were enjoying an upswing in the standings, with multiple post-season appearances. The Orioles were outdrawn every season during that stretch. This season (and into last season), the Orioles have been enjoying one of their best stretches of baseball in 40 plus years. The Nats on the other hand have been flat out awful since 2020, and yet they are drawing about the same number of fans, this season. If the Orioles were the only game in town, they most certainly would be drawing better.

Nobody can debate they’d be drawing better if the Nats were not in DC.   I’m just disagreeing that attendance would be averaging in the high 30,000’s.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nobody can debate they’d be drawing better if the Nats were not in DC.   I’m just disagreeing that attendance would be averaging in the high 30,000’s.  

That's why I said I'd like to believe. It's not a slam dunk, but it's not out of the question either. There are lots of baseball fans in the DMV, and I think most would be flocking to Camden Yards right now (sans Nats), especially those from NOVA, Montgomery County, and Southern Maryland, that abandoned the Orioles after the Expos arrived. 

6 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

The Nats are in a very competitive division that, other than the Nats, is not likely to get easier any time soon. Even the Mets, with Cohen's money and better management, will figure it out. You never know, but I don't see the Nats getting to .500 for a while.