Cedric Mullins 2023

interloper

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Personally, I do not like the light show/Omar’s whistle extravaganza when Bautista enters the game.  All that does is rile up the opposing team IMO, and put more pressure on Bautista.

As to the antics of Baker and Cano, they don’t bother me much but the moonwalking by Baker is kind of a poke in the eye to the other team that I don’t like.  I sort of felt like it was spontaneous the first time, but calculated the second time.  (I didn’t see his inning last night — did he pull anything?

He pretty aggressively sprinted off the field. McDonald described it as “high stepping.” I don’t think it was egregious, perhaps it wouldn’t have even been that noticeable if one wasn’t already looking for something from him. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Personally, I do not like the light show/Omar’s whistle extravaganza when Bautista enters the game.  All that does is rile up the opposing team IMO, and put more pressure on Bautista.

As to the antics of Baker and Cano, they don’t bother me much but the moonwalking by Baker is kind of a poke in the eye to the other team that I don’t like.  I sort of felt like it was spontaneous the first time, but calculated the second time.  (I didn’t see his inning last night — did he pull anything?

He sort of high-stepped off the mound to the foul line. I enjoyed it. He is pitching well. 

I agree with you on the Batista entrance. It doesn’t get the stadium fired up. However, Eric Arditti and others on Twitter were begging for it, and they decided to listen.

Edited by Sydnor

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone needs to tell the bullpen about the humility.

Yes, the back end of the bullpen is different--was only thinking about the position players. Thanks for the reminder.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in one of the other threads, I only follow on Gameday and so I miss out on certain aspects of the action, such as reliable normal fielding (wch gets video-highlighted much less often than run-scoring hits, Ks, etc.) and concocted "fun" like the music and light shows.

Edited by LA2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree--I hate how baseball has developed in this regard. I wish the Orioles didn't do it--it's what I hated about going to Marlins games when I lived in Miami or six years: the apparent need the stadium felt to cram every second full of noise, hubbub, dancing in the aisles, blinking lights, and other baseball-irrelevant frippery.

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

FWIW:  My kids love it!  

Maybe depends on the crowd because the times I’ve been it seemed to get the crowd engaged.

My kid loves it too. I’m just being a grumpy old man. I’m probably even downplaying it because I don’t like it.

Over his last 30 games, Cedric has hit .308/.398/.542, raising his overall slash line to .267/.357/.480.  

He looks very dialed in - patient at the plate, not overswinging and a very direct bat path to the ball right now.  He’s pretty much back to his 2021 levels, except with more patience at the plate.  

It’s very exciting to see Cedric performing at such a high level.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Over his last 30 games, Cedric has hit .308/.398/.542, raising his overall slash line to .267/.357/.480.  

He looks very dialed in - patient at the plate, not overswinging and a very direct bat path to the ball right now.  He’s pretty much back to his 2021 levels, except with more patience at the plate.  

It’s very exciting to see Cedric performing at such a high level.  

Case can be made that he has been the most consistent player on the team this year.

He has been hitless in 2 or more games only 3 times this year and only once was it 3 games.  25% of his games played have been multi hit games.

He has a 973 OPS vs lefties. It’s been a great season for him thus far.

Defense has been very good too.

Edited by Sports Guy

I was just thinking to myself as I watch Cedric during the game... If I was starting a MLB team from scratch and I need a Center Fielder, I want Cedric Mullins to be my Center Fielder to build the team around. There's some great Centerfielders in baseball, but I like Cedric above them all.