Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

The Orioles apparently saw something in Povich and Cano.  So far, they look pretty darn good.  Maybe, just maybe, they made a good call.  Hard to understand why you would still be arguing against the trade at this point.  Seems like a good time to let it go to me.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly. Thus my point. Those guys are always available, so to think Cano couldn’t have been obtained in other ways is pretty foolish imo.

To me, it’s your point that is foolish.  We got Lopez for free, developed him into a good reliever, traded him for a package that appears to be more valuable than he is (potentially much more so), and somehow you’re still not satisfied.  

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, it’s your point that is foolish.  We got Lopez for free, developed him into a good reliever, traded him for a package that appears to be more valuable than he is (potentially much more so), and somehow you’re still not satisfied.  

So, to be clear, you are calling for us to trade Cano and Bautista?

And I guess we should look to get rid of Santander too..you know, since he was basically free?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And I guess we should look to get rid of Santander too..you know, since he was basically free?

Stop digging.  You're just embarrassing yourself.

Just admit it.  You had (another) garbage take.

• Haha 1

Just now, Pickles said:

Stop digging.  You're just embarrassing yourself.

Just admit it.  You had (another) garbage take.

His point was that we got Lopez for free, developed him and got a good deal. If that’s your attitude, it should be consistent.

Now maybe you don’t trade them right now because we are winning but perhaps the offseason they should be dealt..if we are going by Frobbys “logic”.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

His point was that we got Lopez for free, developed him and got a good deal. If that’s your attitude, it should be consistent.

Now maybe you don’t trade them right now because we are winning but perhaps the offseason they should be dealt..if we are going by Frobbys “logic”.

That's not his point at all.  You're focusing on that to distract from your point, which is extraordinarily weak.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's not his point at all.  You're focusing on that to distract from your point, which is extraordinarily weak.

I’m fine with my point. I’m not hiding from anything, obviously, or else I wouldn’t mention it.

But those were his words and I’m asking him a question about it. I’m sure he’s glad that a troll is trying to answer for him though. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m fine with my point. I’m not hiding from anything, obviously, or else I wouldn’t mention it.

But those were his words and I’m asking him a question about it. I’m sure he’s glad that a troll is trying to answer for him though. 

Perhaps it's just the context...

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Perhaps it's just the context...

Frobby is the one who brought that up. I’m just asking if his thoughts are consistent with that and wants us to look to move Cano and Bautista in the offseason.

And pickles is only mentioning it because he feels the need to troll me. It’s his thing. He wouldn’t ask anyone else. He has an unhealthy obsession.

Edited by Sports Guy

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Santander comparison is closer, since he is controlled through 2024, like Lopez. 

Bautista and Cano are controlled through 2027 and 2028 respectively so they're not really a match for this scenario. 

Which is one reason why you've seen plenty of speculation around the board about Santander being traded at some point, but not Bautista/Cano. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Fox said:

The Santander comparison is closer, since he is controlled through 2024, like Lopez. 

Bautista and Cano are controlled through 2027 and 2028 respectively so they're not really a match for this scenario. 

Which is one reason why you've seen plenty of speculation around the board about Santander being traded at some point, but not Bautista/Cano. 

This is all fine but that wasn’t the criteria Frobby said. He talked about getting Lopez for very little and then getting a good deal for him and they should have done it because value was high.

So, I’m simply asking if that same philosophy applies here.

We have no idea if their values will ever be higher right?  So, if that’s the case, by Frobbys logic, we should look to move them.

Bautista/Cano aren't really apples to apples with Lopez because of the service time, apart from the more important distinction that Mike Elias isn't going to trim back this roster.

Cano filling Lopez's shoes very well so far will buy him some equity with his core players if he does something interesting with a Santander or Hall.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Bautista/Cano aren't really apples to apples with Lopez because of the service time, apart from the more important distinction that Mike Elias isn't going to trim back this roster.

Cano filling Lopez's shoes very well so far will buy him some equity with his core players if he does something interesting with a Santander or Hall.

I agree they can’t be..but again, that wasn’t Frobby’s point. I’m asking him specifically about his point.

He doesn’t like my take because of that specific point. So, I’m asking if that point still applies to other players.

If you take it another step further, Elias is doing a great job of finding these guys cheaply. So, if someone is going to give you a lot of players for them, don’t you do that and just keep taking relievers in and out of the lineup and capitalize on that?  Almost like a conveyor belt.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree they can’t be..but again, that wasn’t Frobby’s point. I’m asking him specifically about his point.

He doesn’t like my take because of that specific point. So, I’m asking if that point still applies to other players.

If you take it another step further, Elias is doing a great job of finding these guys cheaply. So, if someone is going to give you a lot of players for them, don’t you do that and just keep taking relievers in and out of the lineup and capitalize on that?  Almost like a conveyor belt.

I find that I am typically in your camp or have a similar line of thinking as you but on this one I’m having a hard time finding the logic. Debating the topic is certainly healthy as I believe diverse perspective is VERY important in life. But on this one it seems like we’re just talking in circles until we land on something that supports the thesis. 

I think that what Frobby was suggesting was that because Lopez was essentially free money and that they had what the believes was a viable replacement already on the ML roster in Felix, that Lopez was more expendable than other players in similar situations. I don’t think he was suggesting that the situations with Felix and Cano are equal to Lopez’s situation. At least that isn’t how I read. 

I’m all for being the contrarian but I can’t find the logic in your argument on this one, good buddy. 

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don't just trade every successful relief pitcher. It's going to depend on whether we are contending or not, how far along they are in arbitration, etc. If we are in a retool scenario in a couple years when Bautista and Cano hit arbitration, yeah, you think about trading them. If we are contending, the strategy may be different. The current situation is nowhere near comparable to Lopez '22.