Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

Exactly. Surprising, yes, but it's not a big deal. If he isn't going to be a serviceable part of the future, then let him go. Maybe this means Reimold will be the RH bat off the bench/4th OF.

Throwing away Salazar annoys me because he would have been a valuable pinch hitter with Zaun, Izturis and Pie at the bottom of the lineup. But with him gone, if Montanez doesn't find a spot on the 25, I'll be totally baffled. Wherever Reimold goes I want him playing regularly....which means AAA for now.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this means Chris Gomez has made the team as the backup SS and backup 1B. There was noone else who could do both and since Freel and backup catcher are set...Salazar had no place on the team. Now, if someone gets injured, the story will change quickly. Hopefully he passes through.

When Burres started out solid last year, didn't he have something like 16 straight quality starts over parts of two seasons?

Why would anyone think that? Salazar is a plausible, although definitely below-average MLB 1B. Brazell would be lucky to hit like the late career Tony Bautista - his strikeout and walk numbers look straight out of Cory Snyder's career, and that's in the minors.

Hey don't shoot me - AM was the one that cut Salazar. I've been one of the biggest proponents of giving Oscar a shot with the O's. I'd have loved to see him get a shot at the 3b job in 2010.

But obviously the O's front office felt there were at least 40 other players more valuable to them than Salazar or they wouldn't have made this move. I'm just reading the tea leaves.

He could be traded- similar to how the Red Sox worked out a deal for Pauley when they removed him from their 40-man roster.

Good point! That would make me feel a lot better about this. Perhaps his winter numbers got someone else excited enough about him to take a flyer on him.

Bad (minor) move, IMO. The only reason to get rid of Salazar—a potentially decent right handed batter, either in a platoon situation or as a pinch hitter—is to make room for a younger player.

That won't be the case.

Both Reimold and Montanez have options so they'll end up at Norfolk.

You can look forward to another year of poor bench production. A 3-man bench of Moeller (then Zaun), Gomez and Freel will be prized by Trembley for its scrappiness, but I wouldn't expect much.

Maybe there will be more roster moves and/or maybe the Os will come to their senses with regards to carrying 13 pitchers.

Throwing away Salazar annoys me because he would have been a valuable pinch hitter with Zaun, Izturis and Pie at the bottom of the lineup. But with him gone, if Montanez doesn't find a spot on the 25, I'll be totally baffled. Wherever Reimold goes I want him playing regularly....which means AAA for now.

There isn't currently room for either Montanez or Salazar. If the O's carry 13 pitchers, their roster is full considering they have Freel and must carry a backup catcher and a backup shortstop as well. That's the horrible thing with a 3 man bench.

There isn't currently room for either Montanez or Salazar. If the O's carry 13 pitchers, their roster is full considering they have Freel and must carry a backup catcher and a backup shortstop as well. That's the horrible thing with a 3 man bench.

Well, even if they carry 13 P's for part of the season, that doesn't mean they will do it for the whole season.

The only rationale for doing it is that they're not confident that they can get 6 IP (or close to it) out of 2 or 3 of the SP's.

If events show they can, then the 13th P goes away.

Archived