Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to continue to use hyperbole.

Fact of the matter is you're judging his hitting prowess against lefties prematurely. 38 at bats is laughable.

Long story short about Oscar Salazar:

30 years old, cheap, can hit, has decent patience, can take care of 1B and 3B adequately off the bench. What's not love about a guy like him off the bench? He's a younger Kevin Millar with less patience and costs significantly less.

Same goes for guys like Jon Knott and JR House...

Just because you say it doesn't make it so. If Andy MacPhail and Dave Trembley believed that he could take care of these positions adequately, he would not only have been retained on the 40-man; he would have been installed as the starting 1B -- because, quite clearly, they are 100% convinced that NOBODY on the current roster, Huff included, can take care of 1B adequately. I think I'll trust their judgment on this above that of any OH poster (virtually all of whom think offense only, and then just ASSUME the defense is good enough).

So... this may signal the signing of Wigginton????

Don't understand this. If we do end up signing Wigginton, that means we would have to remove somebody else from the 40-man roster again. Zaun took Salazar's place.

Before the Pie trade, I was all for signing Ty Wigginton. Now, I feel that Pie in LF, Scott at DH/some at 1B and Huff at 1B is a solid way to go.

Wigginton just doesn't make any sense at this point. He most likely will not put up the numbers that Huff or Scott will, and is not a huge defensive upgrade.

The only reason we would still have interest in Wiggy is if we have a potential deal in place with either Huff or Scott.(obviously) I also don't see how either of the two would have much trade value given that there is a 40+ HR hitting DH on the market that's not garnering much attention.

No thanks to Wigginton at this point. Let's give that one-two year deal to Jon Garland.

Just because people disagree with a move doesn't mean they hate MacPhail or want him fired or don't think he is doing a great job.

I happen to think MacPhail is a tremendous GM, who is doing a great job putting our franchise in a position to win.

However, I disagree with this call. Not that I think Salazar is anything too special, just that we had some pitchers that should have been cut before him IMO.

I think MacPhail is doing a great job. Does that mean I have to agree 100% with every move he makes? Of course not.

Nah, Just SOME people on the site really dislike almost every move Andy Mac makes and it gets old after a while. That's all. My rant had nothing to do with liking this move or disliking it. I just don't get how Andy Mac can do NO RIGHT in some people's eyes. It's maddening.

I agree with that.

Man, I'd love to be the O's GM. I'd totally make non-significant moves to the 40 man along these lines, shoot out a press release and then log on to orioleshangout.com and watch the puppets dance.

That'd be a great way to spend a dull Tuesday afternoon. :)

...and dance they have!

Man, I'd love to be the O's GM. I'd totally make non-significant moves to the 40 man along these lines, shoot out a press release and then log on to orioleshangout.com and watch the puppets dance.

Dancing Puppets.

Is that a band?

Should be. But evidently not.

However, there is this guy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5yRfQ7YI14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5yRfQ7YI14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like Oscar Salazar a lot. I see the phrase "career minor leaguer" posted a lot, but from his stats and the reports of those who have watched his play, it seems more like he just figured out how to hit in 2007 and has been crushing the ball ever since. IMO, if he had a shot with the O's, he'd do very well. So I'm disappointed that (in all likelihood, it seems to me) his shot will come with another team.

Still, it's hard to really see this as a bad move on MacPhail's part. Salazar hadn't demonstrated major league ability yet (just potential) and given the likelihood that he simply wouldn't make the team due to the sheer number of pitchers we'll carry, it makes some sense to push him now. The O's FO knows baseball a lot better than I do, and perhaps they think he'll make it through waivers. Perhaps they just don't see him as a potentially valuable piece.

I'm still going to hope that OS makes it through waivers to Norfolk and gets called up when Hayden Penn and Radhames Liz put it together and go 7 innings each in their first five straight starts and we can get rid of the 13th pitcher. Then he can hit .400 with 10 home runs in May. Well, we all have our dreams, right?:rolleyes:

....who also are pretty much AAAA cogs, easily replaceable at any point necessary.

We're talking about bench players, not starters. Did you see how awful the Orioles bench was last year? The year before? The year before?

I can't recall the last time the Orioles had a legitimate bat off the bench.

I like Oscar Salazar a lot. I see the phrase "career minor leaguer" posted a lot, but from his stats and the reports of those who have watched his play, it seems more like he just figured out how to hit in 2007 and has been crushing the ball ever since. IMO, if he had a shot with the O's, he'd do very well. So I'm disappointed that (in all likelihood, it seems to me) his shot will come with another team.

Still, it's hard to really see this as a bad move on MacPhail's part. Salazar hadn't demonstrated major league ability yet (just potential) and given the likelihood that he simply wouldn't make the team due to the sheer number of pitchers we'll carry, it makes some sense to push him now. The O's FO knows baseball a lot better than I do, and perhaps they think he'll make it through waivers. Perhaps they just don't see him as a potentially valuable piece.

I'm still going to hope that OS makes it through waivers to Norfolk and gets called up when Hayden Penn and Radhames Liz put it together and go 7 innings each in their first five straight starts and we can get rid of the 13th pitcher. Then he can hit .400 with 10 home runs in May. Well, we all have our dreams, right?:rolleyes:

I hope (if he gets claimed) that he absolutely crushes the ball for another ball club, and the Orioles get to (yet again) see what an idiotic decision it was.

Archived