Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

If this doesn't tell you that AM is committed to youth, I don't know what will. To a degree, the Bradford trade said the same thing. AM is going to assume a certain amount of risk for youth, as he did with Pie, but he's not going to give up a valuable roster slot to an older player unproven in the majors whose ceiling is probably behind him. You can call him blinkered, as Salazar might have turned out serviceable, but AM apparently isn't going to go off track regarding his youth strategy, as unflexible as that might be. But it's a plan, and we haven't had one in awhile.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We go through this every year, the O's place an OH-favorite through waivers, the masses call for Macphail's(among others) head on a platter, the guy passes through and is re-signed, and the OH posters announce that MacPhail got lucky that his "bonehead" move didn't cost the O's a major talent who turns out to be a AAAA player. Nobody ever thinks that the baseball Execs might just know a thing or two about these players........

We go through this every year, the O's place an OH-favorite through waivers, the masses call for Macphail's(among others) head on a platter, the guy passes through and is re-signed, and the OH posters announce that MacPhail got lucky that his "bonehead" move didn't cost the O's a major talent who turns out to be a AAAA player. Nobody ever thinks that the baseball Execs might just know a thing or two about these players........

Actually, this kind of trauma is something that can only happen here, versus any other message board. And I kind of like it.

First off, I've never been on another board where an amazing percentage of people even KNOW who Salazar is, and then have the information to carry on a fascinating debate on the guy's upside, or lack thereof.

This place provides a unique perspective, and the little flare ups on nearly every transaction is a lot of fun. Whether I agree with a particular move or not myself, it sure is a blast to read the responses.

Ultimately, I'm saving my tantrum for other players and a future player to be named later.

-Don

Guys like House, Knott, Restovich, Salazar are pretty much a dime a dozen and they reach an age where their usefulness is more to get to replacement level than have any upside - and the at-bats are going to go to Pie, Scott and Huff.

I personally would have liked to see what Salazar could do over a few hundred at-bats since these guys rarely get such a chance, but it would have meant little to the organization LT, IMO.

We'll have to see if Salazar is claimed or if AM has a deal for a 1B prospect lined up or if Pie's acquisition and the shifting of Scott to 1b/DH simply makes Salazar's at-bats less necessary.

Guys like House, Knott, Restovich, Salazar are pretty much a dime a dozen and they reach an age where their usefulness is more to get to replacement level than have any upside - and the at-bats are going to go to Pie, Scott and Huff.

I personally would have liked to see what Salazar could do over a few hundred at-bats since these guys rarely get such a chance, but it would have meant little to the organization LT, IMO.

We'll have to see if Salazar is claimed or if AM has a deal for a 1B prospect lined up.

All three of those players will be full time. Salazar could have been a useful bat off the bench when Huff and Mora needed a rest or a PHer was needed.

The Orioles are continuing to have poor benches, and the idea of 13 pitchers makes the bench even worse. Salazar might have had a good chance to make a 4 man bench. I just don't understand why the Orioles don't get that having a good bench is vital to maintaining productivity from the lineup.

It seems like many on this board are too quick to judge a decision made by the (new) front office.

IMO, a season with Andy is like a season of the Wire. Something that happens in episode 3 might not get answered (heck, even mentioned) until 2 or 3 episodes down the line.

Let the man work. The new look Orioles might be the next great thing to fill the void of the Wire ending.

I know Lester can get down with that logic. :)

You are right it is ridiculous.

I have to believe that it would not matter who is in charge.

Or the outcome, some want money spent, just to spend it.

And they have come to believe that they could actually do it better.

I wonder why they do not go and try.

If they would they would realize the differance in fantasy baseball and the real thing.

In two years, none of us--yes, even us--will remember who Oscar Salazar was. MacPhail either has a deal lined up for Salazar, or fully expects him to pass through waivers.

Either way, were really, really nit-picking this one.

And my bet is that some of those 40-man roster pitchers so many here want to DFA are being dangled as trade bait even as I type this...

That career minor leaguer hit pretty darn well for the Orioles. He could have at least been tried out at 3B as a replacement for Mora.

On the other hand Scott Moore no longer has competition for that spot, but he'll be the next one to go when we go with 13 pitchers...

Emphasis on "career minor leaguer". Unless, of course, you're talking about THEE Oscar Salazar? If that's the case...if we're talking about future All-Star Oscar Salazar, then yes...bad move. :rolleyes:

Can anybody pull up Salazar's winter league #'s? Last I heard was that he was slumping after starting off hot.

".

Heading into tonight, Salazar was batting .304 in 14 playoff games with nine extra-base hits (five doubles & four homers), 10 runs scored & 15 RBI. He's walked five times and struck out six times.

At last count, however, he'd also committed four errors.

In 49 regular season contests in VZ, Oscar batted .352 with six homers and 26 RBI. (and five errors)

In two years, none of us--yes, even us--will remember who Oscar Salazar was. MacPhail either has a deal lined up for Salazar, or fully expects him to pass through waivers.

Either way, were really, really nit-picking this one.

And my bet is that some of those 40-man roster pitchers so many here want to DFA are being dangled as trade bait even as I type this...

Unless Salazar catches on somewhere else and posts an .825 OPS this season.

I think MacPhail is banking on him passing through waivers, there still might be a spot for him with us this year.

Granted, I do understand where the AAAA overreactors come from on moves like this. Things need to be done right, down to the smallest things like filling out your 25th man. Details, details, details.

However I think some on here really do take it too far. The odds are way slim that Salazar sticks somewhere else and contributes significantly...just like House, Knott, Terrero, etc...

I think MacPhail is banking on him passing through waivers, there still might be a spot for him with us this year.

Of the many things I don't know, here's one of them...

Do teams get on the phone and work things out ahead of time, so that they already know if he's gonna clear?

Granted, I do understand where the AAAA overreactors come from on moves like this. Things need to be done right, down to the smallest things like filling out your 25th man. Details, details, details.

However I think some on here really do take it too far. The odds are way slim that Salazar sticks somewhere else and contributes significantly...just like House, Knott, Terrero, etc...

You forgot the great Walter Young. He was going to be the next David Ortiz when we released him. Salazar had his moments last year, but is 31 and very challenged defensively.

Archived