Would it be crazy to stretch our Baumann to start in our rotation?

Roy Firestone

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Let's face it, our starters have been mostly underwhelming. I think Baumann, a one time starter has earned the right to be considered a starter. I realize we need solid relief too and he's been one of the few bright sports in the pen..but if given the chance to start he HAS to be better than Kremer ...I dont think this team can go anywhere without a much improved rotation...they should take a look at Baumann...

Probably a bit crazy, but man oh man I've really liked what I've seen from Baumann so far. I think it's more of robbing Peter to save Paul situation though since our bullpen (aside from a few arms) has been pretty shaky. Maybe worth revisting when Givens comes back, depending on how our starters are/or aren't performing. 

Crazy? No. But I don't think it's the right move. I think Baumann has looked great, but I think a large part of that is that he can simplify things in the pen a bit more. The pen is as much a concern for me as the rotation, but I think Bautista and Baumann, and to a lesser extent Coulombe and Cano have been bright spots. I'd rather not rob Peter to pay Paul, particularly when I'm not convinced the success holds up when stretched out and facing lineups 2-3 times through the order.

Overall, I'm not sure our rotation is in complete shambles. It's been a rough start for the starters, for sure, but Gibson at least looks like a decent mid-rotation guy. Wells has been solid. And I was encouraged by Rodriguez's start yesterday (though I did admittedly miss the first 2 innings). I'd like to see what Bradish does in his next few starts. And then you have Irvin who can hopefully find in at AAA, Means who will be back in a couple months, and Kremer who has been bad, but can hopefully turn it around. Plus, the potential for a midseason Hall promotion and/or an addition via trade. 

I'm not sure Baumann would produce better in the rotation than a couple of the other guys we have.

I think we've found his role and am excited to see how he grows in the pen this year.

I wouldn’t rule it out for later in the season if Baumann continues to thrive and some of our starters continue to struggle.   But let’s see where things are in a month or two.  For now, Baumann is gaining confidence and playing a very valuable role.  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Honor and respect are in short supply in the world and on forums these days.  It costs you nothing to disagree with respect instead of jaded snark.  To anyone, but especially to a guy like Roy.

I didn't think @DirtyBird offered "jaded snark" at all. He asked a legitimate question that related to the question @Roy Firestone posed.

My answer to the OP would be yes, it would be crazy to take Baumann out of a role in which he is doing well when he isn't really in the top 8-9 options for the rotation.  

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

Yes it would be a terrible idea. It looks like the short outings allow him to dial up the FB just enough to overlook the fact that it’s very straight. The K:BB rate isn’t great at 8:5 in 9.1 IP. But, he’s making it work so far. Don’t mess with what works. 

How dare you bring facts, data, and intellect to this discussion and make logical sense! Good Day to you, Sir!

Edited by Billy F-Face3

The answer to the OP is yes it would be crazy. We are barely a month removed from him giving up starting and becoming a full time dedicated BP piece. We have like 7-8 dudes who can reasonably start a game right now. And Bauman looks significantly better out of the BP. Why in the world would the reverse what was clearly the right decision?

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As I was saying for years, I believe Baumann's best role is in relief. If his knucklecurve stays consistent, it really gives him that pitch that can get ground balls and miss bats. He's found his role.

Agreed.  He just needs to embrace it the way that Britton did - not that he's Britton except in the sense that he was a starter with stuff that was more suited for a short relief role.

• 2 weeks later...