Spenser Watkins Optioned to Norfolk, Keegan Akin Returns

Billy F-Face3

2 hours ago, joelala said:

Well if he’s pronating his wrist a lot it could theoretically put stress on the lat as his body tries to get the arm back to the midline after pronation, but I’d think this would more affect the smaller muscles in the arm and shoulder.  Again, I think I’m just being paranoid. Very pumped to watch the kid flourish. 

Yeah, tons of possibilities and unknowns with lat issues.  I haven't seen anything that connects the changeup specifically to lat injuries any more than any other pitch type is my main point.  It could be possible though.  I'm sure teams would pay big money to know those types of connections to help with player scouting/development.  So if anyone is looking for a side-hussle...

4 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Anyone else think it is weird that Watkins didn't pitch? With the BP do overused, I was surprised. I guess they were waiting to see if Bradish could make his next start but still seems like a wasted chance to get a fresh arm up. 

I think they will have Spenser play today for Norfolk. Just speculation on my part. 

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah, tons of possibilities and unknowns with lat issues.  I haven't seen anything that connects the changeup specifically to lat injuries any more than any other pitch type is my main point.  It could be possible though.  I'm sure teams would pay big money to know those types of connections to help with player scouting/development.  So if anyone is looking for a side-hussle...

I heard about this idea called an "inverted W" or "M" where pitchers who make that shape with their elbows during their windup have been known to have i juries. Stephen Strasburg and Mark Prior are some that come to mind. 

After I read about that, it made me paranoid when I was watching Spring Training games. I started looking to see if Grayson Rodriguez had an inverted W that might have lead to his injury. I concluded that I don't know enough about it and that I was just being paranoid after learning about the existence of that theory. I don't think Grayson pitches with an inverted W.