We really are in a monster of a division

dystopia

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

There's the angle.     The YES Network guy who has a book coming out on the 25th anniversary of the '98 Yankees had an anecdote how after the slow 1-4 start Torre was mad and called a meeting.   David Cone spoke of the need to find a way to hate your opponent every night.

Adley needs to look at Jordan Lyles Thursday like some of us would look at Eric Hosmer.

I was always a big fan of David Cone and his competitiveness as a pitcher. Too bad he spent a large portion of his career with teams that I despised. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yesterday when I was doing my “look at the Orioles by month” thread, I noticed that Tampa has hit 61 homers in 29 games.  That’s insane!

The Run Production there is like nothing they've ever done so far.     The 150-118 OPS+ lead on 2nd place TEX is bigger than the gap between 2nd place TEX and 23rd place NYY.

Of the 29 games they've played so far, I'd broad brush label 19 of them as not against serious MLB competition.    They swept the Red Sox in 20/21/22/23, who I'm barely refraining from labeling unserious, and lost series to TOR and HOU.

Fingers crossed we get some Best on Best games late...we're doing a decent job with the league's other replacement level units too so far.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be  disappointed but it's better than being under .500 for May.  

Its a pretty brutal schedule for the month especially since Pittsburgh is playing so well. 14-14 would be a solid month.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Also need to take advantage of June, where the team should be above 500 for the month.

Not a lot of “easy games” after the AS break, so build up your wins as early as possible.

Something like 50-52 wins (out of 89 games) heading into the AS game is very doable imo. 

Another scary thing about Tampa: not only are they 23-6, but their run differential says they should be 23-6.   12 of their 23 wins have been by 5+ runs.  

I realize their schedule has been very soft, but what their offense is doing literally makes no sense.  They were 11th in runs scored last year, now they’re 1st by a comfortable margin. They’ve gone from averaging 0.86 homers per game to 2.10 per game, about 50% higher than the next closest team. And every position player on the 26-man roster was with the Rays last year.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Another scary thing about Tampa: not only are they 23-6, but their run differential says they should be 23-6.   12 of their 23 wins have been by 5+ runs.  

I realize their schedule has been very soft, but what their offense is doing literally makes no sense.  They were 11th in runs scored last year, now they’re 1st by a comfortable margin. They’ve gone from averaging 0.86 homers per game to 2.10 per game, about 50% higher than the next closest team. And every position player on the 26-man roster was with the Rays last year.   

How many of those guys were healthy last year?  Franco wasn't, he's a big key to their success.

They're absolutely steamrolling teams.  IIRC, I don't think anyone's within 50-60 runs of their run differential.  

44 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The media is reporting the Yankees are in dire shape (Great News for O's)

https://newsmustbefun.com/2023/05/02/rosenthal-battered-yankees-may-just-trip-and-stumble-their-way-through-the-season/

This is awesome to see.  I don't think they were that great last year but they had a monster season from Judge to help carry them through the hard times.  He's hurt now, although it looks like a relatively minor injury.  Still, he's dinged up early on.

Here's hoping they get so far behind early on that recovering later this summer isn't a possibility for them.  The other good news here is that their farm system is barren (according to that article) so it's not like they can trade prospects for veterans and get a boost.  Also bodes well for the long term that they won't have anyone of significance to call up.

Still, it's the Yankees and they can get right when everyone gets healthy, but their guys always seem to be brittle and I'm not sad about it.  It's a great time when the Red Sox and Yankees are battling it out to stay out of last place.