Stowers 2023

emmett16

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't believe ME-Sig are dictating lineups, just providing advanced performance metrics and suggestions based on today's opponent. Most of the decisions are self evident most days and Hyde gets to decide who to use in RF-DH. The Sig-Bot could see equal future value in Vavra and Stowers for different reasons so the 26th man decision would be a tossup. If Hyde is more willing to play Vavra than Stowers, replace Stowers with O'Hearn as 26th man. I just believe Hyde doesn't like Stowers like Buck and Kim. ME-Sig aren't going to force the issue for the 26th man. IMHO

I can buy that they aren't handing Hyde lineups.

I don't buy that they don't have significant input in allocating playing time in a more general sense.  I think that If they want Stowers to get playing time, they will inform Hyde.

I think Elias is 100% on board with how Hyde has handled Stowers.

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Perhaps they think they increase his trade value by having him put up numbers in AAA. I still think it’s a fielding thing but does seem better than Vavra

He didn’t hit for power in ST, he struggled in limited PA in MLB, and struggle his first 30 ABs in AAA this year.  I think it’s quite obvious they have been working with him on some specific items before letting him go. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can buy that they aren't handing Hyde lineups. I don't buy that they don't have significant input in allocating playing time in a more general sense.  I think that If they want Stowers to get playing time, they will inform Hyde. I think Elias is 100% on board with how Hyde has handled Stowers.

I can agree with all of this, but I don't think ME-Sig value Stowers any more than Vavra so they would give Hyde the option. So since Hyde plays Vavra, they get Stowers more playing time in AAA.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

I still think it’s a fielding thing but does seem better than Vavra

I don't think it's necessarily a fielding thing. He proved in Texas how well he can play the field when he basically turned the Orioles season around with that one great jump to the wall. It was when Tyler Wells came into the game and that Rangers Player hit what looked like was going to be a home run until Stowers made a great play to catch it for the out. That 1 play felt like it changed the entire momentum of the season. After that, Wells was able to settle in and the team has just continued to build off of that momentum.

2 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't believe ME-Sig are dictating lineups, just providing advanced performance metrics and suggestions based on today's opponent. Most of the decisions are self evident most days and Hyde gets to decide who to use in RF-DH. The Sig-Bot could see equal future value in Vavra and Stowers for different reasons so the 26th man decision would be a tossup. If Hyde is more willing to play Vavra than Stowers, replace Stowers with O'Hearn as 26th man. I just believe Hyde doesn't like Stowers like Buck and Kim. ME-Sig aren't going to force the issue for the 26th man. IMHO

When I was at a game last year, I noticed the team in the dugout had their faces buried in paper scouting reports during a pitching change. I think the analytics team gives the coaching staff all types of stuff to use during the game, but how it's put to use is ultimately up to the Manager.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can buy that they aren't handing Hyde lineups.

I don't buy that they don't have significant input in allocating playing time in a more general sense.  I think that If they want Stowers to get playing time, they will inform Hyde.

I think Elias is 100% on board with how Hyde has handled Stowers.

I tend to agree with this. Last season Buck Britton talked about how detailed and in-depth the playing-time plan was last year for AAA lineups, and while that is different because for AAA it's more about player development, they do seem very interested in having a specific plan for playing time and ABs for players. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Evidently they have decided he's not an option, so why didn't they move him before telegraphing that fact to the rest of the league?

Oh wait, we aren't supposed to question their decisions.

Never mind.

You assume they’ve decided he’s not an option, but I don’t.  

Hays, Santander and Mullins were all up and down for a year or two before becoming regulars.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

You assume they’ve decided he’s not an option, but I don’t.  

Hays, Santander and Mullins were all up and down for a year or two before becoming regulars.  

The problem with this reasoning is the teams Hays, Santander, and Mullins were breaking into were terrible. Mullins in particular would have likely never cracked an O’s roster again after the way he struggled in his first season.

I think he’s still looked at as an option. But he’s an option way down the depth chart, considering the guys who were playing over him when he was on the roster this month. There will need to be multiple injuries to starters for him to get a fair chance IMO, considering his performance at Triple A last year wasn’t enough for him to break in this year. Why would it be any different now?

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The problem with this reasoning is the teams Hays, Santander, and Mullins were breaking into were terrible. Mullins in particular would have likely never cracked an O’s roster again after the way he struggled in his first season.

I think he’s still looked at as an option. But he’s an option way down the depth chart, considering the guys who were playing over him when he was on the roster this month. There will need to be multiple injuries to starters for him to get a fair chance IMO, considering his performance at Triple A last year wasn’t enough for him to break in this year. Why would it be any different now?

We will see.  The season is long, and lots of things happen.  

• 2 weeks later...

Stowers is 2 for 30 with 12 K's. In his last 6 games with plate appearances he is 0 for 20 with 8 K's.

SSS or not that is just awful. Time for something else, hopefully sending him to Norfolk and giving Cowser a shot.