Stowers 2023

emmett16

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Both accuracy issues and occasional arm strength issues. His throws are inconsistent.

Thanks.

It sounds like he is the outfield version of Mountcastle when Duquette insisted on having him try to play SS and 3B in the minors.

8 hours ago, panick said:

Thanks.

It sounds like he is the outfield version of Mountcastle when Duquette insisted on having him try to play SS and 3B in the minors.

I wouldn't go that far. Kjerstad can play RF to the point where he would be effective just probably slightly below average. Mountcastle should have never ever been on the left-side of the infield. Every single real evaluator/scout knew that because of his arm. 

Mountcastle ran/runs pretty well and a good development organization would have put him in left field to see if you could get outfield value out of him. But Duquette was convinced he would have "more value" as a SS. Of course he would have more value as a SS but no one, and I mean no one thought he was ever going to play SS at the major league level.

But, back to Stowers in his thread.

Hopefully he's ok and won't have to go through concussion protocols. I'm sure he probably ended up with some stitches. 

Feel bad for him, man. I was actually starting to wonder if he might be a stealthy pick to come up 9/1 because he's been hitting well recently and it would be a nice reward for what has probably been a super frustrating season for him. 

Hope he recovers soon and finishes strong. 

• 4 weeks later...

From the Tides PR after game 2 of the playoffs against the Durham Bulls tonight:

Stowers Powers: Finishing the night only a single shy of the cycle was Kyle Stowers who went 3-for-3 with a run, an RBI and a walk...he had 13 multi-hit games in the regular season and one three-hit performance...he ended the season hot at the plate, batting .303 (10-for-33) with four runs, three doubles, three home runs, seven RBI and three walks while slashing .361/.667/1.028 in the month of September.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if offensive numbers go up in general in AAA at the end of the season. Just about every team adds a pitcher to their roster in the majors, and I'd assume all or most come from AAA, but I'm not sure that's enough alone to account for end of year hot streaks like those by Stowers and Norby.