Stowers 2023

emmett16

On 6/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, Gurgi said:

I honestly still think this kid could be helpful to us.   Hope he gets everything going again quick.  I still think he could hit .250 with 25 bombs and 75 rbi.  

I would not doubt this fall the Orioles move Santander and Hays and open up two spots in the outfield.  Likely Cowser gets one spot and maybe Kerjstad and Stowers battle for the other.  

Kjerstad wins that battle, he's better in every facet. Stowers can definitely start for someone, but he's missed his fleeting opportunity here. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, deward said:

Kjerstad wins that battle, he's better in every facet. Stowers can definitely start for someone, but he's missed his fleeting opportunity here. 

I agree.  I don't think Stowers figures into the Orioles future.  I like him and don't think he got a fair shot in Baltimore, but there are just too many other options to wait for him to come around.  I hope he has a long career, I just don't think it will be with the O's. 

40 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Oppo big fly for Stowers.  He really does generate some easy power to all fields. 

I watched the shot on Milb.  Stowers has a sweet looking swing.   I still think the Orioles might have a decent bat with this kid.   Hope he isnt a throw in in a trade for a rental.  I think he might bloom into quite a power threat at the Major League level.  

He is a decent draft pick from the unreal 2019 draft.  Elias really did well.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Stowers just had an inside the park GRAND SLAM.   He hit a ball to center with the bases loaded.  The fielder was coming in on the ball and went for a diving catch.  It went past him and that was it.  

Terrible decision by Clint Frazier.  Should have been and RBI single. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a tough go of late for Stowers who is slashing just .177/.292/.339/.630 over his last three weeks covering 72 PAs. He's struck out 25 times with 9 walks and 3 HRs over that span.

It's been a tough year for him overall, but I still believe that he will end up an everyday player at the major league level. 

The good news for him is he still hits left-handers as good as right-handers and that will look good on his resume. This year started with him buried on the major league bench where he proved he's not a very good part-time player. When he did get his chance he just was not seeing the ball at all and shortly after going back down to the minors he was put on the IL so you have to wonder if something was bothering him at the major league level.

Defensively I think he's fine in RF though his foot speed was down this year. 

The emergence of Ryan O'Hearn's bat this year really limited his opportunities. With the Orioles needing the DH for Rutschman at least 40 times a year, the question of the future will depend on a few things.

Let's take a look at current outfield depth.

Mullins - CF
Hays - LF/RF
Santander - RF/1B
O'Hearn - RF
McKenna - LF/CF/RF
Hicks - LF/CF/RF (FA at end of year)

Minors:
Cowser - LF/CF/RF
Kjerstad AAA (RF) 
Stowers - AAA (RF/LF)

Without an injury it's doubtful that the Orioles will bring up Stowers in September. Hicks is most likely one addition since they said he's taking live BP now and will most likely be activated when the rosters expand. Cowser has been hitting well in AAA since his demotion and is the best defender between him, Stowers and Kjerstad by a long shot so he could be added as well.

The Orioles will most likely add a bullpen arm like Baker or Baumann as the 3rd player that can added for the expanded roster.

The future?

Stowers is a prime target to be traded this offseason since he's buried behind Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser and Kjerstad and some team could see his potential as an everyday guy. I would be surprised if he's in spring training with the Orioles next year though I don't see Elias just giving him away.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The future?

Stowers is a prime target to be traded this offseason since he's buried behind Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser and Kjerstad and some team could see his potential as an everyday guy. I would be surprised if he's in spring training with the Orioles next year though I don't see Elias just giving him away.

I tend to agree that he's a prime candidate to be traded, but I also agree with your last sentence. IT would be selling low at this point. If Elias values his upside, I think he holds on to Stowers in hopes that a good offseason can get him back on track. If I'm a team talking to the O's, I'd love to get Stowers as a 2/3 piece in a deal in hopes that he blows up.

Stowers' season just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. He started cold. Got injured and never really blew up, even in AAA. It's almost like his previous offseason was a bust. I hope he comes back in January a better player than he is right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's been a tough go of late for Stowers who is slashing just .177/.292/.339/.630 over his last three weeks covering 72 PAs. He's struck out 25 times with 9 walks and 3 HRs over that span.

It's been a tough year for him overall, but I still believe that he will end up an everyday player at the major league level. 

The good news for him is he still hits left-handers as good as right-handers and that will look good on his resume. This year started with him buried on the major league bench where he proved he's not a very good part-time player. When he did get his chance he just was not seeing the ball at all and shortly after going back down to the minors he was put on the IL so you have to wonder if something was bothering him at the major league level.

The emergence of Ryan O'Hearn's bat this year really limited his opportunities. With the Orioles needing the DH for Rutschman at least 40 times a year, the question of the future will depend on a few things.

Mullins - CF
Hays - LF/RF
Santander - RF/1B
O'Hearn - RF
McKenna - LF/CF/RF

Minors:
Cowser - LF/CF/RF
Kjerstad AAA (RF) 
Stowers - AAA (RF/LF)

Without an injury it's doubtful that the Orioles will bring up Stowers in September. Hicks is most likely one addition since they said he's taking live BP now and will most likely be activated when the rosters expand. Cowser has been hitting well in AAA since his demotion and is the best defender between him, Stowers and Kjerstad by a long shot so he could be added as well.

The Orioles will most likely add a bullpen arm like Baker or Baumann as the 3rd player that can added for the expanded roster.

The future?

I realize he's probably slumping, but I find the second statement amusing. It says he hits left-handers as well as he hits right-handers, but the first statement shows he doesn't hit either type of pitcher very well.

12 minutes ago, panick said:

I realize he's probably slumping, but I find the second statement amusing. It says he hits left-handers as well as he hits right-handers, but the first statement shows he doesn't hit either type of pitcher very well.

The statement about hitting right-handers and left-handers equally well is on his overall season numbers vs what would be a small sample size over his slump.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mullins - CF
Hays - LF/RF
Santander - RF/1B
O'Hearn - RF
McKenna - LF/CF/RF

Minors:
Cowser - LF/CF/RF
Kjerstad AAA (RF) 
Stowers - AAA (RF/LF)

The future?

If the bolded is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, Hays will be here next year.