Sunday, April 23: Orioles try to sweep Tigers out of Baltimore

SteveA

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Because it's too early in the season to use your closer like that unless you want him to be gassed come September. Up to you though.

Respectfully disagree.  Every win matters.  If he pitches now, or with a 1-0 lead in the top of the ninth, you are still using him.  I'd rather use him when the game is essentially on the line and you need a strike out.  Case in point, Voth is not a strikeout guy and gives up the sac fly. 

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Agree with everyone who says we should have gotten another inning out of Baumann.   We'd still have Baker now available.

Even in that case there's no guarantee that Hyde wdn't pull Baker too early to get a meaningless lefty-lefty matchup....

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Respectfully disagree.  Every win matters.  If he pitches now, or with a 1-0 lead in the top of the ninth, you are still using him.  I'd rather use him when the game is essentially on the line and you need a strike out.  Case in point, Voth is not a strikeout guy and gives up the sac fly. 

I'm not saying that the game is irrelevant but that you have to manage a 162 game season for the long haul. It is a marathon not a sprint.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I'm not saying that the game is irrelevant but that you have to manage a 162 game season for the long haul. It is a marathon not a sprint.

So are you saying if the Orioles were winning 4-1, you would not use Bautista today for the ninth? 

It is more important for him to pitch with runners on in my opinion to "save" the game than to get a statistical save in a three run game.