Bryan Reynolds signs extension

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty tired of the joke, every time a smaller market team signs a player to an extension, that its too bad the O’s can’t match the mighty [insert name of signing team here].  

Angelos has not said the O’s couldn’t or wouldn’t do extensions.  He’s just said they have to do them “within the system we’re in.”  To my mind, that means we probably won’t see extensions at the super-high end of things.  Could they do an extension like this one, or like Tampa has done with Franco, or like Cleveland has done with Ramirez?   It’s obvious that they can.  Whether they’ll choose to do any, and whether the players want to do them, is a separate question.  

If an ownership group with any MLB organization can’t sign an extension with a player like Adley, then there is no true commitment or competence of ownership .  And yes that may mean an Adley friendly deal but so what? 

No, i believe in my gut that the Angelos boys are selling this team no matter their public proclamations and that maximizing their personal return is the ONLY factor at play in even the tiniest of budget decisions.  Where this team is in 3-5 years, they could care less as long as they extract the most dollars they can. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a little more media friendly at the time.  But that was over 20 years ago, anything that he did back then good or bad, as far as I'm concerned is water under a bridge that's barely visible.

My dad likes to tell a story about how we were at 2,131, Angelos was giving his speech at the ceremony after the game and people booed him.  I don't remember that part, but my dad swears that Angelos paused for a second and glared at the crowd real quick with a "***** you" look, he likes to say.  My dad hates Angelos.

I don’t recall any media friendly Angelos .. he has been a power hungry, media blaming,  insulated control freak from the get go.   He has never been a Jerry Hoffberger or Ed Williams that’s for sure. 
i am with your Dad. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If an ownership group with any MLB organization can’t sign an extension with a player like Adley, then there is no true commitment or competence of ownership .

What if Adley simply doesn’t want to sign here?   What if he’s only willing to do it if he’s the highest paid player in the game?   Do the owners control that?

To be clear, I’m not saying either of those things are the case.  I have no idea.  But it’s not like the owners can unilaterally sign Adley to a contract.  He has to be willing to sign at a number that actually works.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If an ownership group with any MLB organization can’t sign an extension with a player like Adley, then there is no true commitment or competence of ownership .  And yes that may mean an Adley friendly deal but so what? 

No, i believe in my gut that the Angelos boys are selling this team no matter their public proclamations and that maximizing their personal return is the ONLY factor at play in even the tiniest of budget decisions.  Where this team is in 3-5 years, they could care less as long as they extract the most dollars they can. 

Sadly I believe every word of this. I can’t wait until the day when the black cloud is gone and their stench is no longer on our franchise. The residents of this community deserve much better than the garbage that they have given us.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What if Adley simply doesn’t want to sign here?   What if he’s only willing to do it if he’s the highest paid player in the game?   Do the owners control that?

To be clear, I’m not saying either of those things are the case.  I have no idea.  But it’s not like the owners can unilaterally sign Adley to a contract.  He has to be willing to sign at a number that actually works.  

This COULD be the case but most likely isn’t. Like the common denominator in no early extension is the evil Angelos empire and just about every other organization figures out how to do them. I seriously doubt it’s Adley.

• Upvote 1

Reynolds and Mullins seem like an odd comparison to me. Mullins game isn't going to age nearly as well, since it relies so much on speed, and the Oriole's farm system is loaded with OF prospects. The team's focus should be on extending the younger players, not Cedric Mullins. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This COULD be the case but most likely isn’t. Like the common denominator in no early extension is the evil Angelos empire and just about every other organization figures out how to do them. I seriously doubt it’s Adley.

I think it's more likely with Adley than most and could have nothing to do with Baltimore.  As a catcher he's likely got a shorter peak than those at another position.  If he's not risk-averse, willing to bet on himself, and wants to maximize career earnings, the way to do that is to be a FA catcher at age 29.  Not on the wrong side of 30 after signing an extension - even one that only buys out a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

You make him an offer higher than market value ..you make him the highest early contract offer in ML history. 
If he refuses, there are ways to mske that offer known if it is legitimately made. 

But while some may say it is Adley and his agent that will be or is the problem, I will put my money on the problem turning out to be the exact same one this organization has had for the last 3 decades. 

And you know what?  The Angelos clan  owes us! So yeah if John has to put out an over market contract to Adley to prove to fans they even give two cents, they can blame their own track record.   But it is all academic.. they have had and I predict will have zero interest in extending Adley. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I don’t recall any media friendly Angelos .. he has been a power hungry, media blaming,  insulated control freak from the get go.   He has never been a Jerry Hoffberger or Ed Williams that’s for sure. 
i am with your Dad. 

That is incorrect if you are talking about Peter Angelos. He was very cozy with a lot of baseball writers and, for example, frequently gave Tom Boswell quotes. Boswell had an interesting column many years ago detailing Peter Angelos' "divorce" from the media. Angelos tried to me Steinbrenner light and it didn't work out. 

Cot's has the details today - FA years sold at only $15mm, though it seems to me the contract is another of those using a long term to spread out money.    Split about 3/30 for Arb 2023-2025, and 5/75 for FA 2026-2030.

8 years/$106.75M (2023-30), plus 2031 club option

• signed extension with Pittsburgh 4/25/23, replacing final season of previous contract
  • $2M signing bonus
  • 23:$6.75M, 24:$10M, 25:$12M, 26:$14M, 27:$15M, 28:$15M, 29:$15M, 30:$15M, 31:$20M club option ($2M buyout)