Early Trade Target: Ramon Laureano

sportsfan8703

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/laurera01.shtml

He would be a nice compliment to our future LH OF glut. Controllable through 2025 arbitration. Can play CF. 

He’s making $3.5 million this year. I’d say it’s likely that Oakland would some/all of that up depending on the return. 

He’s also out with with a groin strain currently, but rehabbing in AAA. 

Elias can get creative and deal from our milb cache, instead of being “forced” to call up one of the guys in AAA. Outside of Hudson Haskin, we really don’t have a RH OF depth in our system. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/laurera01.shtml

He would be a nice compliment to our future LH OF glut. Controllable through 2025 arbitration. Can play CF. 

He’s making $3.5 million this year. I’d say it’s likely that Oakland would some/all of that up depending on the return. 

He’s also out with with a groin strain currently, but rehabbing in AAA. 

Elias can get creative and deal from our milb cache, instead of being “forced” to call up one of the guys in AAA. Outside of Hudson Haskin, we really don’t have a RH OF depth in our system. 

This feels doesn't feel like a long-term fix for me.   Is it anywhere conceivable that a Westburg or Norby could be converted to outfielders?  I guess if it was, they'd already be getting reps there in Norfolk, but they're not.  So, in my mind, I'd look to trade our young infield depth to a team that is heavy in young outfield depth and look for their most major-league ready guy.

So, while I agree that we might want to balance out our team with a better right-handed outfield presence, I'm not sure Laureano would be my choice at this particular time...maybe two years ago, but not now.

Just my opinion.....

If/when we start making trades, I hope it is for the type of pitching that will contribute to postseason success as opposed to an additional positional player who will make things even more crowded/jumbled. Even if we could find a way to fit him into the lineup, he doesn’t do anything to solve our biggest weakness …. Starting pitching

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I fail to see the logic in this as well. He isn't much of an upgrade on the guys in the majors and would block for the future guys in the minors.

He’s a RH OF with good defense at all three OF positions. He’s a good platoon bat to pair with our LH future OF. 

Ehh, I dunno. We have Cowser, Kjerstad, and Stowers. Not saying Laureano isn't a nice player, but it's hard to see us trading for an outfielder. 

To the OP's credit, he is right-handed and if Hays gets injured the organization is hurting for RH replacement, unless you feel like Westburg can plug that hole. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also not talking about breaking the bank for Laureanao. Names Oakland could choose from would be Vavra +1-2 of  Prieto/Rhodes/Trimble/Williams. Maybe a Haskin or Fabian. 

I mean if that’s the price, sure. But we’d definitely have to take on all of his salary. 

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

It's just another Frazier, someone to get in the way of prospects. No thanks.

The prospects are LH. 

Laureano is a good ball player. Is RH. Great glove. All three OF positions. Our only RH OFs are Hays, McKenna, Haskin AAA, and Fabian AA. That’s our RH OF depth in the whole system. 

If we could trade some spare part IFs like Vavra and Prieto for him, then that is a win-win. A very similar trade to the Irvin deal. 

We just have a need for RH OF. 

MLB - Hays COF, McKenna All three. 

AAA - Haskin All three 

AA - Fabian All three 

We need some RH depth. Laureano is that. Heck, maybe we get creative and can do a bad contract for bad contract swap with a team that has a RH OF they want to unload. Doesn’t have to be Laureano.