AL team to watch: White Sox

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

We joked about the lift off comment this offseason and some people took it the wrong way but overall, the mindset has and should change. My question is, how much is the mindset changing for 2023?  Is he ready to trade real assets for real assets? Or is Elias still in the wait and see mode? 

I think wait and see mode until ASB and whether he decides to go for it will depend on performance between now and then. Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz could all be kicking the door down to end the Stowers/Vavra experiments but there isn't room for all 3 to play regularly unless someone or two get moved off the MLB roster.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Moving this conversation away in a different direction….

Name 3 current MiLers (not named Holliday) that you want the Os to hold onto this deadline. Not necessarily guys that are untouchable but guys you hope don’t get dealt.

For me, Mayo and Basallo are the easy ones. After that, I would be ok with basically anyone but I would rather not deal Ortiz AND Westburg. Would like to make sure we keep one of them.

It’s interesting to me that you’d put Mayo that high on your list.  I don’t think he’s sticking at 3B, and I’ve heard he has some pretty big holes in his swing.  .277/.419/.521 at Bowie as a 21-year old is definitely solid, I can’t deny.  

Honestly, with Holliday out of bounds, there’s nobody else I’d feel terrible about losing if the return was right.  I definitely see the logic of Basallo but he’s miles from proving he’ll be a good major leaguer.   He’s certainly the least redundant of the top prospects.  I’m emotionally prepared for any of Westburg/Ortiz/Norby to be traded.  Cowser has some holes, Kjerstad is limited defensively.   I like all these players but the org could survive losing any of them. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting to me that you’d put Mayo that high on your list.  I don’t think he’s sticking at 3B, and I’ve heard he has some pretty big holes in his swing.  .277/.419/.521 at Bowie as a 21-year old is definitely solid, I can’t deny.  

Honestly, with Holliday out of bounds, there’s nobody else I’d feel terrible about losing if the return was right.  I definitely see the logic of Basallo but he’s miles from proving he’ll be a good major leaguer.   He’s certainly the least redundant of the top prospects.  I’m emotionally prepared for any of Westburg/Ortiz/Norby to be traded.  Cowser has some holes, Kjerstad is limited defensively.   I like all these players but the org could survive losing any of them. 

Mayo is the #2 prospect for me.

900+ OPS in AA and he will be 21 all season.  

I'd hate to lose Mayo because he seems to be one of the few RH +power bat in our minors. Don't know if it's just random chance or planned, but we seem to have drafted a ton of LH bats since Elias started calling the shots. Henderson, Kjerstad, Basallo, Willems, and maybe even Cowser look like they might have 30 HR seasons in their future. Other than Mayo and Westburg we don't have anything like that kind of RH power in our minors. 

42 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I'd hate to lose Mayo because he seems to be one of the few RH +power bat in our minors. Don't know if it's just random chance or planned, but we seem to have drafted a ton of LH bats since Elias started calling the shots. Henderson, Kjerstad, Basallo, Willems, and maybe even Cowser look like they might have 30 HR seasons in their future. Other than Mayo and Westburg we don't have anything like that kind of RH power in our minors. 

There’s Norby, who led our minor leaguers in homers last year with 29.   He’s off to a slow start in the power department this year, though.  Only 3 so far.   Then again, he only hit 5 through the end of May last year before going on a year.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s Norby, who led our minor leaguers in homers last year with 29.   He’s off to a slow start in the power department this year, though.  Only 3 so far.   Then again, he only hit 5 through the end of May last year before going on a year.  

And we have zero idea if he will ever be an asset in the field.

Lots to like about Norby but he’s high on my List of guys to trade.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Me too.   I like him but he’s down the depth chart a ways for me.  

Only about 2 years to the day out from the benchmark of the Jose Quintana trade, Liam Hendriks ala Andrew Miller would be my very favorite White Sock except for one onerous Mike Elias no good very bad provision.    I suppose in the best scenario by July Mike Elias could cold KNOW he wants elite pitching and has a +$15mm for his 2024 roster.     Some of him being a favorite is the simple human stuff where the cancer stays beat another couple months and he charges back to his livelihood.

• 21:$11M, 22:$13M, 23:$14M, 24:$15M club option ($15M buyout)
  • 2024 option is guaranteed with trade
Edited by Just Regular

48 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Only about 2 years to the day out from the benchmark of the Jose Quintana trade, Liam Hendriks ala Andrew Miller would be my very favorite White Sock except for one onerous Mike Elias no good very bad provision.    I suppose in the best scenario by July Mike Elias could cold KNOW he wants elite pitching and has a +$15mm for his 2024 roster.     Some of him being a favorite is the simple human stuff where the cancer stays beat another couple months and he charges back to his livelihood.

I usually skip right over your posts when you write like this. No offense, just saying. Most people don't want to have to decipher what you're trying to say on a sports message board. It's pretty tiresome, and well yeah, I usually just skip it. Have a great day!

53 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I can't see the Orioles spending like that on relief pitching. 

12 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I usually skip right over your posts when you write like this. No offense, just saying. Most people don't want to have to decipher what you're trying to say on a sports message board. It's pretty tiresome, and well yeah, I usually just skip it. Have a great day!

@Just Regularis the TS Eliot/Bob Dylan of the Hangout.  First thing in the morning, first I do the crossword puzzle, then I try to figure out what Just Regular is telling us.  It’s fun!

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You could say the same thing about your #2, Mayo.