That was a big win

Frobby

We should be going all out to win today.  Every pitcher should be available minus the rotation pieces.  Off day tomorrow.  TB is going all out with their bullpen.  

Today is the biggest game of the season so far.  That's the fun thing about winning.  The stakes get higher and higher.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should be going all out to win today.  Every pitcher should be available minus the rotation pieces.  Off day tomorrow.  TB is going all out with their bullpen.  

Today is the biggest game of the season so far.  That's the fun thing about winning.  The stakes get higher and higher.  

Bautista threw 29 pitches yesterday. I can't see him being available. Of course we want to win every game, but we have to have a little perspective and pace for a 162 game season plus the additional games of the post season. There is still A LOT of season left to play. The Orioles team that is facing the Rays now will look different later on in the season with additions/improvements/acclimations yet to come.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still trying to figure out if they are going to recover from that “awful loss” when McKenna dropped the ball.

We won't know if they've recovered from that one until we see if they miss out on a playoff spot by a game at the end of the year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, deward said:

We won't know if they've recovered from that one until we see if they miss out on a playoff spot by a game at the end of the year.

Or we could point to a total lack of timely hitting in the recent three game losing streak.  Or any other single loss during the season.  Blaming a single play by one player in Game 2 of 162 for missing the playoffs by one game is total BS.  Really hope you were just trying to be sarcastic with that take.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Or we could point to a total lack of timely hitting in the recent three game losing streak.  Or any other single loss during the season.  Blaming a single play by one player in Game 2 of 162 for missing the playoffs by one game is total BS.  Really hope you were just trying to be sarcastic with that take.

Yeah, every loss is a potential win that some player or some group of players screwed up. Whether it's bad pitching or lack of offense or not scoring runs with 2nd and 3rd no outs... etc. 

I still see people harping on "our record would be this if not for McKenna" and it's super dumb. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, every loss is a potential win that some player or some group of players screwed up. Whether it's bad pitching or lack of offense or not scoring runs with 2nd and 3rd no outs... etc. 

I still see people harping on "our record would be this if not for McKenna" and it's super dumb. 

Especially since McKenna is a good player for his role.

But like I said when it happened, people will remember that and not all the good he does or the idea that in that game that he made a diving catch that May prevented runs..it’s that one play etched in peoples mind..Ala Cust falling down.

Its just pure ignorance.

I think McKenna is an okay player for his role but certainly hope the same as Jordan Lyles things progress to the point relatively soon that even though he's an okay player, that's not good enough for this MLB roster.

For sure there's a showcasing game being played leading up to the trade deadline, but it will be not ideal if he's part of the AUG-SEP roster.

Maybe McKenna is an okay 4th piece in a package.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still trying to figure out if they are going to recover from that “awful loss” when McKenna dropped the ball.

Did anyone actually say the team couldn’t recover from it?  It was a horrible, frustrating loss.   One I and many others will literally never forget.  But any decent baseball team has to be resilient, because frustrating losses are going to happen.  

I am firmly on the side of logic here in that it's a really bad take to think that McKenna's drop could cost us a playoff spot if we lose out by a game or some other unlikely scenario. Lots of stuff happen in a baseball season. I'm sure we'll snatch a win that looked like a loss a few times as well.

However, that doesn't mean that that specific drop and the sequence of events that followed that directly contributed to a loss will not end up being the most tangible moment of the year that resulted in losing a game

No matter how pragmatic you want to be about it, it was a moment that will stand out at the end of the year if a certain scenario plays out. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think McKenna is an okay player for his role but certainly hope the same as Jordan Lyles things progress to the point relatively soon that even though he's an okay player, that's not good enough for this MLB roster.

For sure there's a showcasing game being played leading up to the trade deadline, but it will be not ideal if he's part of the AUG-SEP roster.

Maybe McKenna is an okay 4th piece in a package.

McKenna has the fourth highest OPS on the team, the fourth highest OBP, and the highest BA. Those numbers are inflated by his rarely having to face RHers, but those numbers are still pretty good for a late-inning defensive replacement/pinch runner.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

McKenna has the fourth highest OPS on the team, the fourth highest OBP, and the highest BA. Those numbers are inflated by his rarely having to face RHers, but those numbers are still pretty good for a late-inning defensive replacement/pinch runner.

He's also 11th on plate appearances with 43.  So you can't really compare him to the players that have double, triple or almost quadruple PA's.  

Regardless, he's been solid for us thus far this year.  

51 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Yes, a lot happens in a 162 game season both good and bad, someone from another team will invariably screw up too.  Timely hitting comes and goes-so many variables, pitching too but that is very different from disregarding fundamentals he has been taught since age 6 which directly led to a loss.  McKenna has played his way into a roster spot, hopefully he learns from it.

I have been critical of all the outfielders recently (especially Stowers) but have to admit that I am criticizing their fundamentals in a vacuum utilizing tools that weren't  available when my heros played-of course in my memory they never committed an error or had a mental lapse!!!