Pirates Series

Moose Milligan

The Jack Suwinski get 22 months ago is starting to pay off nicely.     He doesn't look as impeccable as Vinnie Pasquantino, but does look dangerous.

July 26, 2021

Traded Adam Frazier and cash to the San Diego Padres. Received Michell Miliano (minors), Tucupita Marcano and Jack Suwinski.

Traded Clay Holmes to the New York Yankees. Received Diego Castillo and Hoy Park.

16 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The Jack Suwinski get 22 months ago is starting to pay off nicely.     He doesn't look as impeccable as Vinnie Pasquantino, but does look dangerous.

July 26, 2021

Traded Adam Frazier and cash to the San Diego Padres. Received Michell Miliano (minors), Tucupita Marcano and Jack Suwinski.

Traded Clay Holmes to the New York Yankees. Received Diego Castillo and Hoy Park.

His numbers have some Chris Davis similarities. 

The Os/Pirates WS were before my time, and pretty much all I've known are poor Pitt. teams (and bad Os teams), so if anything I am a bit inclined to root for the Pirates to have a good year (except against the O's of course).  Probably helps that I'm not much of a football fan. 

I'm hoping the offense starts to wake up.  We've faced some good pitching lately, but with this roster construction the most reliable way for this team to win is to score runs, and a lot of them at that.  Hopefully the Pirates' bats will stay cold.  

Some "experts" were lumping the Pirates' hot start with the O's start as overachievers/surprises.  I don't see it (prior to the last 10.  IMO, the last few series prove the O's are a team to contend with.  We still have our questions, but I like the offensive and defensive floor.

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Friday:  Oviedo (5.59 ERA) vs. Bradish

Saturday:  Contreras (4.74 ERA) vs. Wells

Sunday:  Keller (2.72) vs. Gibson

Which Bradish shows up?  I like our odds against Oviedo though.

Contreras has always intrigued me for some reason.  I'm glad Wells is his match up.  

Keller vs. Gibson should be a solid game.

Just need @Roy Firestone to post his concerns about the series to get us on the right track!  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not worried about a let down/trap series because we will have a big weekend crowd. Our young squad will feed off that. Plus, we just faced a lot of top notch pitching, are hitters are ready to break out against some lesser pitchers. 

Fresh bullpen for us. 

Big weekend crowds? Friday will not hit near 20,000 unless a big walkup. Saturday and Sunday look pretty good with a big walkup might hit 30,000 .GIveaway on Sunday . Looks like the splashzone has sold out for all three days. Heard there could be a nice contingent of Pirate fans at the games. Thursday day game against the Angels might out draw all these games. Weather Day.

The Pirates’ bats have gone ice cold, with only McCutchen (.973) and Connor Joe (.756) over .700 this month.  They hit the snot out of the ball in April before falling into their current funk.  So, it’s hard to know what to expect.  

Both Oviedo and Contreras are coming off a couple of very bad starts.  They are better pitchers than their ERAs reflect, but we might be catching them at the right time.  Keller is coming off a complete game shutout and could be tough to beat.  

Their bullpen has been solid on the year (3.52 ERA) but has had a rough time this month (4.83).  

Overall, it seems like a good time to be facing the Pirates.   But as always, you never know.

Edited by Frobby

The length pitchers K-BB standing among Active Roster guys MLB-wide:

(110) Bradish v. (104) Oviedo

(52) Wells v. (123) Roansy

(111) Gibson v. (24) Keller

Relievers, David Bednar is right there with MLB's best of the best entering mid-May.

The top 4 BAL relievers running 38-28-23-17; PIT's leaders at 32-22-20-18.     Dauri Moreta, who I'd never heard of before a few clicks ago, has the True Outcomes badge of SUM of K rate and BB rate >50%.

8 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Meanwhile, who are we rooting for in the Yanks-Rays series? I personally love it when there's upside to the Yankees winning, because I feel like I can't lose either way.

The Rays for me. The only scenario that I can root for the Yankees is if it's the last game of the season and the O's have already won and they need a New York win for help. Even then that's a rough day.