Blue Jays Series

Moose Milligan

In the 70s my mom taught me that the Yankees were the Evil Empire. In 2004 The Red Sox became the Evil Empire's crazy little brother. That being said, this sweep of the Blue Jays in Toronto is extremely satisfying, mostly because Jose Bautista and John Gibbons earned the status of third most disliked team. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In the 70s my mom taught me that the Yankees were the Evil Empire. In 2004 The Red Sox became the Evil Empire's crazy little brother. That being said, this sweep of the Blue Jays in Toronto is extremely satisfying, mostly because Jose Bautista and John Gibbons earned the status of third most disliked team. 

Don't forget what Cito did to Mike Mussina.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

That was more of an individual transgression. Those John Gibbons teams were annoying as hell. 

The Jays eliminated the Orioles from the playoffs at the very end of the 1989 season, and then the Cito thing several years later added fuel to the fire of Jays hate. The Jays were actually the O's main rival for most of the early 90's. I guess that's more ancient history, but disdain for the Jays goes back pretty far for older fans.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

The Jays eliminated the Orioles from the playoffs at the very end of the 1989 season, and then the Cito thing several years later added fuel to the fire of Jays hate. The Jays were actually the O's main rival for most of the early 90's. I guess that's more ancient history, but disdain for the Jays goes back pretty far for older fans.

I can see that. But that team was just super crazy talented. I don't remember anyone on that team that I really despised. 

Amazing we were able to win with a gaping 0-15 in the heart of our order today....  Tells you the team has some depth and can get contributions from multiple different guys in the lineup- the mark of a good team.

7 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Amazing we were able to win with a gaping 0-15 in the heart of our order today....  Tells you the team has some depth and can get contributions from multiple different guys in the lineup- the mark of a good team.

This season is shaping up to be one of those seasons where several "under-the-radar" players are going to have career years at the same time. This kind of thing starts to snowball on itself and watch out. The Orioles management had better get out of the way and just provide what this team needs to keep rolling.

Very satisfying series. In some ways that Jays bother me as they have had some extremely annoying personalities over the years. Manoah is just another example. Say what you will about the Yankees and Red Sox but as veteran teams they are usually professional about beating us. 

Clinching the division in 2014 over the Jays was also a memorable highlight of my fandom. That felt like such an epic way to cap a long long journey. In a way this series felt the same way, a real statement that the rebuild has reached fruition. That it happened against the Jays is icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That series may effect Toronto for a while.  Two extra-inning losses, the managerial gaffe, lots of bullpen spent.  Brutal.

Overrunning 2nd base on that steal, getting picked off at first base in the 10th, the flyball miscommunication leading to a double, and all those RISP they left. 

Good grief jays.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That series may effect Toronto for a while.  Two extra-inning losses, the managerial gaffe, lots of bullpen spent.  Brutal.

I hope it doesn't effect them enough to replace the manager. Schneider may be one of the absolute worst managers in all of baseball. Someone with relatively no baseball acumen could win with this roster.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I hope it doesn't effect them enough to replace the manager. Schneider may be one of the absolute worst managers in all of baseball. Someone with relatively no baseball acumen could win with this roster.

They are only about 130 games past already doing that move.    It might fray Bo and Vlad's confidence in their process a little bit if it happened again so soon.   2.7 years to go in both those cases.