You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

I say this lovingly but I find it hilarious that they managed to mimic the Baltimore/Maryland sports inferiority complex with the narrative of the City Connect. "Everyone thinks we're boring and bad, so we made the jerseys look boring and bad, but underneath we're colorful and cool!" is basically analagous to "We're so unfairly overlooked by the national media because they're obsessed with the fatcats in Boston and NY!" And yes I do see what they're going for in a more serious analogy to the city's reputation.

Visually I'm not a fan of the black pants but I do think the graffiti pattern is cool and that these will look decent on players who do the sleeve cuff and high sock things so you can see that hidden color more. 

On 5/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Garish is an appropriate word, 100%.  

Baltimoreans really love the holy trinity of the state flag, Old Bay and Under Armour.  

Under Armour makes all the zany Maryland flag based UMD unis, and I wonder if that's partially why the Nike-made City Connects went a non-flag direction.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Under Armour makes all the zany Maryland flag based UMD unis, and I wonder if that's partially why the Nike-made City Connects went a non-flag direction.

Nike: let's make sure no one confuses this with an Under Armour jersey.

Mission Accomplished!

Someone said this jersey looks like it was designed by an elementary school kid.  A little kid could never design something so boring.  This reminds me of those Olympic Mascots that are designed to be all inclusive and offend no one and end up looking like a blob w/ legs.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Honestly reviewing them all in that link I think the uni gets a little bit of a bad rap. It’s not great but it’s not the worst on that list. The Giants ones are really awful. Not sure why the Reds would be considered any better than these.  All the Dodgers really did was replace ‘Angeles’ with ‘Dodgers’ basically. 

Obviously these rankings mean literally nothing, just pointing out that these are pretty much on par with the rest (other than the Rockies - those are truly awesome). I also dig the Angels uni which they have ranked pretty low. 

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Also they’re called CITY connect not state connect. That alone might explain the lack of the otherwise seemingly omnipresent flag. 

The flag is the coat of arms of the person the city is named after.  So there is a connection.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I like the patch and the color pop on the cuff of the sleeves though. Not fully in on the jerseys yet but will definitely buy a hat today.

The O's are doing a release party at the stadium today. Eutaw Street is open with Boogs and other food vendors. Going to head over when I get home from work today.

Let us know how the jerseys fit and if they breathe.  

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

I like this quote, which I don’t think is intended to be ironic: “the Orioles did a first with City Connect by creating a look that is more generic than their everyday uniforms and alternates.”   Great, just what we want, generic uniforms!   That’s worth paying a premium for and creating a bunch of media hype!

Honestly, I’ve never cared much about this topic.  When I go to a ballgame, I’m not there for a fashion show.   I’m there to see my team win, whether they’re wearing black, orange, white, army fatigues, Mothers Day pink or whatever.  The whole thing is just a marketing gimmick that is meaningless to me.  Win baseball games!   That’s all I care about.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Honestly reviewing them all in that link I think the uni gets a little bit of a bad rap. It’s not great but it’s not the worst on that list. The Giants ones are really awful. Not sure why the Reds would be considered any better than these.  All the Dodgers really did was replace ‘Angeles’ with ‘Dodgers’ basically. 

Obviously these rankings mean literally nothing, just pointing out that these are pretty much on par with the rest (other than the Rockies - those are truly awesome). I also dig the Angels uni which they have ranked pretty low. 

True, the Dodgers aren’t very different than their regulars and the Braves didn’t make a huge departure from their 70s throwbacks. But in that vein, I think the creativity for ours is lacking here, just from a different perspective. 

I think the Rangers jerseys are easily the worst. 

It’s a City Connect jersey.  They are trying to connect with the city, not the region, not the nation, connect with the City of Baltimore!  Sorry Severna Park, Columbia, Mt. Airy, Monkton and Bel Air if you feel left out. Take some time and watch the video.  Watch it again and even again.  Appreciate the fact that the team that took years to put Baltimore back on their grey jerseys has made a choice to be “all in” for its city here in 2023.   
“Can’t Clip These Wings” is outstanding terminology.  Signifies toughness and ability to overcome adversity.  Again referring to the video, the boy stopping on his bike to look up at the mural on the brick building.  
He looks up from his bike beside a vacant overgrown lot.  This was not created by the visitors bureau.  It’s not New York where the kid would probably get off the subway and climb the stairs to Times Square while Sinatra sings “If you can make it here….” Blah blah blah!  This is Baltimore and as Randy Newman sang about 40 years ago    “man it’s hard, just to live”.  
“Can’t Clip These Wings” is also unifying by not hinting of anything political, no hint of BLM or blue stripe on a flag, no celebration of diversity, no wrapping ourselves in ANY flag.  It’s also genius because of the Ravens.  
Attracting the attention of their fan base should be a priority.  
I haven’t commented on the actual jersey because yes, last weeks leak was certainly disappointing and might be lingering a bit. @MurphDoggyour photo was helpful.   I think I’ve warmed some but I’ve got to put my hands on one before making the investment.  
Just really excited about the message,  it’s been a long time since Oriole Magic and Thank God I’m A Country Boy really resonated as anthems.

Edited by JimGinSP

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

And they didn't even do it right - it should read Los DOYERS! 

These aren't great, but they are way better than the San Fran jerseys and the Wrigleyville jerseys.