Memorial Day and the trade deadline

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My buying list would be:

Ed Rod

Chapman

RH RF vet bat 

All rentals. We don’t have to sell the farm. 

What Chapman are you referring to?

Could you explain in a realistic scenario how the underlined could occur?

Also, what is then your plan for next year, when we will need a front line starter then?

The Twins missing the boat on setting themselves on cruise control has kept the White Sox (closer to first place than the Yankees!) alive.

CHW won't sell if hope for a 83-79 division title is alive.     DET is just as close, but I think Scott Harris is gonna do the Trey Mancini thing even if they are "in" the division race.

I wouldn't be shocked if in the last week of the year the media gets some mileage out of how it will be "better" to be AL6 because the Central champ is weaker than the 4/5 teams.

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

Exactly, like i said, I don't want to trade a top prospect for a rental.  I don't think this is the year to push all of our chips in.  Next year maybe I will feel different.

We don't need to "push all our chips in" to acquire a front line starter that will be with the team for more than just this post season. Some are under contract for multiple years you know? Of course that will factor into the acquisition cost. But we are having a problem fitting the guys now on to our Big League roster, some are even suggesting platoons of top 100 prospects. Where are we going to find the room to add Westburg, Cowser, and Ortiz AND then next year probably adding Kjerstad, Holliday, and Mayo? Oh and don't forget Norby. Where are all of those players going to play?

Which one do you value more winning a WS or potentially multiple ones or holding on to/hoarding ALL of you prospects?

What odds are you giving us in a series this season or next to win 3 postseason series in the AL given the talent disadvantage right now in starting pitching between us and our opponents? Do you not place much value on starting pitching? Do you not believe that it is a significant deciding factor in the postseason?

I'm asking all these questions for a friend...lol

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The Twins missing the boat on setting themselves on cruise control has kept the White Sox (closer to first place than the Yankees!) alive.

CHW won't sell if hope for a 83-79 division title is alive.     DET is just as close, but I think Scott Harris is gonna do the Trey Mancini thing even if they are "in" the division race.

I wouldn't be shocked if in the last week of the year the media gets some mileage out of how it will be "better" to be AL6 because the Central champ is weaker than the 4/5 teams.

Of those Central teams, I can only see the Twins having any realistic shot to win a postseason round because of their staring pitching. DET and CHI would be seriously deceiving themselves by trying to play for a postseason birth. Even if they get in, they don't have the kind of rosters that can go very far.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Wells is currently our best starter (not saying much). I don't understand the rational of taking away anything from what is already a weakness.

Westburg+ could probably land us ERod given his opt-out contract status. Not a bad idea, but I want somebody who can help us next year or we will be right back in the same boat. IMO - it's better to fix the problem than to put a band aid over it.

Someone would have to get dropped from the rotation if we acquired Rodriguez.  Wells has a history (last two years) of wearing down in the 2nd half.  He’s also shown he can be an asset out of the bullpen.  You kill two birds with one stone. 

Band aids are a lot cheaper than stitches.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone would have to get dropped from the rotation if we acquired Rodriguez.  Wells has a history (last two years) of wearing down in the 2nd half.  He’s also shown he can be an asset out of the bullpen.  You kill two birds with one stone. 

Band aids are a lot cheaper than stitches.   

Again, when you are this prospect rich, with this small of a payroll, and this big of a present opportunity; IMO the worst thing that you can do is go cheap.

Replacing Wells with Rodriguez does what for us exactly? We would then have Rodriguez, (I assume Means if healthy), and who to line up in a short postseason series? And out of that group which expected opponent would you say we have the advantage over? Do you really believe that kind of rotation can win 3 postseason series in the AL? And then what would be your plan to fill the gaping hole (after Rodriguez opt-out) next season?

53 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Again, when you are this prospect rich, with this small of a payroll, and this big of a present opportunity; IMO the worst thing that you can do is go cheap.

Replacing Wells with Rodriguez does what for us exactly? We would then have Rodriguez, (I assume Means if healthy), and who to line up in a short postseason series? And out of that group which expected opponent would you say we have the advantage over? Do you really believe that kind of rotation can win 3 postseason series in the AL? And then what would be your plan to fill the gaping hole (after Rodriguez opt-out) next season?

1.   We are a very good team without Rodriguez. I’m not worried about starting next year without him.  We’d have GRod, Bradish, Kremer, Wells, all with one more year of experience plus Irvin.   

2.  You could pay a lot for Cease and possibly wind up with a worse pitcher for the 2023 postseason.  Going cheap doesn’t mean you get a worse pitcher.

3.  With Eduardo Rodriguez, Bradish, GRod, Kremer and a bullpen with Cano, Bautista, Wells, Baker, Baumann, Coulombe, I wouldn’t call us favorites but I’d say we were on equal footing with just about anyone.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Of those Central teams, I can only see the Twins having any realistic shot to win a postseason round because of their staring pitching. DET and CHI would be seriously deceiving themselves by trying to play for a postseason birth. Even if they get in, they don't have the kind of rosters that can go very far.

I said I didn’t like the idea of giving up top prospects for a rental not that I was against acquiring a TOR pitcher. But I hope that rant made you feel better, friend.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.   We are a very good team without Rodriguez. I’m not worried about starting next year without him.  We’d have GRod, Bradish, Kremer, Wells, all with one more year of experience plus Irvin.   

2.  You could pay a lot for Cease and possibly wind up with a worse pitcher for the 2023 postseason.  Going cheap doesn’t mean you get a worse pitcher.

3.  With Eduardo Rodriguez, Bradish, GRod, Kremer and a bullpen with Cano, Bautista, Wells, Baker, Baumann, Coulombe, I wouldn’t call us favorites but I’d say we were on equal footing with just about anyone.

Means?

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I said I didn’t like the idea of giving up top prospects for a rental not that I was against acquiring a TOR pitcher. But I hope that rant made you feel better, friend.

You consider that a rant? You ain't seen nothing yet...lol j/k

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Exactly, like i said, I don't want to trade a top prospect for a rental.  I don't think this is the year to push all of our chips in.  Next year maybe I will feel different.

I don't think "top prospect" and "potentially have value" are the same thing.  I don't think someone down the list should be off limits.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

We don't need to "push all our chips in" to acquire a front line starter that will be with the team for more than just this post season. Some are under contract for multiple years you know? Of course that will factor into the acquisition cost. But we are having a problem fitting the guys now on to our Big League roster, some are even suggesting platoons of top 100 prospects. Where are we going to find the room to add Westburg, Cowser, and Ortiz AND then next year probably adding Kjerstad, Holliday, and Mayo? Oh and don't forget Norby. Where are all of those players going to play? Which one do you value more winning a WS or potentially multiple ones or holding on to/hoarding ALL of you prospects?

Your obsession with spending 2-3 top 100 prospects to acquire a TOR SP NOW is NOT built on a sound foundation IMHO. Today (after Gunnar& GRod) we have 7 prospects in MLB's Top 100. Jackson is off limits. Of the remaining 6, Ortiz is already here and makes Urias redundant (trade bait). The next injury to Santander or Hays brings Cowser up. Santander will not be extended and gets more expensive, redundant (trade bait). Down to 4, Westburg or Ortiz are your next 2B or SS as a bridge to Jackson (depending on Mateo). You are now down to 3, Kjerstad, Hall, and Norby left over in your plethora of Top 100 prospects. HK is being transitioned to 1B and his bat is DH/1B playable next year. Hall will fail as a SP and move to RP. Norby doesn't really have a plus defensive position. Santander, Urias, Norby, and Hall doesn't bring the kind of TOR you desire, with multi-year control. Jackson and Mayo will NOT be here next year, other than a cup of coffee, ME is trying to stagger these guys to have a longer pipeline. ME will want a decision on HK before rushing Mayo or changing his position, as 3B is Gunnar's. The next bunch: Beavers, Wagner, Fabian, etc. are years away.