Wednesday, May 31: Homestand and the month of May end with rubber match vs Guardians

SteveA

Just checked on the game and saw the O's had given up 11 runs in a bullpen game.  I guess the Guardians found the soft underbelly of the bullpen.  I also noticed that Hicks was 2 for 2.  Hot starts by DFA'ed veterans buys them tons of playing time.  The O's could have Willie Mays reincarnated in AAA and he wouldn-t get a call up. 

Just now, dystopia said:

This team is falling apart. 

The last week has been ugly and really exposes our weaknesses.  We need to get some pitching help.  And some guys need to start hitting more reliably.  

Sometimes I think this new thing of having an entire bullpen of one inning pitchers is short sighted.  We really need a guy or two that can go out there and go five or six innings after a starter fails.  I remember tons of guys like that in the 80's.  Do they not do it because they fear straining someones arm?   I remember guys getting tons more innings than they do now.  The secret seems to not pitch max freaking effort every pitch.  I just watched an old game from 1985 and saw Scott McGregor go nine innings allow one run and throw nothing but 88 mph fastballs and sweeping curves.  

I honestly think peak McGregor would probably still pitch to a league average starter today.  

I never want to see Cionel Perez pitch in an Orioles uniform again. Same for Givens. Mountcastle needs to lose playing time to O'Hearn. Vavra needs to be replaced. Gunnar is a platoon player. 

Thanks for 2 good months but I wouldn't be surprised to see us end up around .500 at the end of the season.