Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes… why Lopez is not gone is baffling.

I don't get it either. I know they want to try and fix him over the winter, but why not put Lopez on the IL in that case with a "sore shoulder" and keep Baumann on the team.

Baumann has more value right now and is postseason eligible even if he might not make the roster. The Oriole could probably DFA Lopez without worrying that another team would claim him and reassign him to Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, banks703 said:

This effectively ends Baumann's season with the big club, right? With only nine games remaining, he cannot be recalled without an injury and if they are swapping Big Mike for TWells (instead of the obvious move - to me - of cutting bait on the Jorge Lopez rerun) I'd have to think that they don't think Big Mike is playoff roster worthy. 

I am not surprised to see TWells recalled but that it's for Baumann is surprising to me. 

I would not be surprised to see Baumann on the playoff roster at some point. For one thing, Jorge isn't eligible so we will need someone to take his spot. If Wells is bad down the stretch we could see Baumann back. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't get it either. I know they want to try and fix him over the winter, but why not put Lopez on the IL in that case with a "sore shoulder" and keep Baumann on the team.

Baumann has more value right now and is postseason eligible even if he might not make the roster. The Oriole could probably DFA Lopez without worrying that another team would claim him and reassign him to Norfolk.

Is it worth arguing Lopez over Baumann? They're both totally unreliable and neither should pitch again for the Orioles unless you like watching HR by opposing teams.

Elias probably wants to sign Lopez to a minor league contract over the winter and bring him to ST.   They want him to experience winning the division. Be part of the team.

Baumann will be back for the playoffs probably.

These next three games are the toughest in Cleveland.  After that a day off to rest and then finish the season in front of big crowds at home.   Meanwhile Tampa plays the Blue Jays for 6 who are fighting to make the playoffs.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, baltimoriole said:

Is it worth arguing Lopez over Baumann? They're both totally unreliable and neither should pitch again for the Orioles unless you like watching HR by opposing teams.

Baumann is better and even if he's a vulture you don't get 10 wins in relief if you're absolutely terrible. Lopez cannot be relied on right now in any situation.

Bauamann's splits:

image.thumb.png.6ed1b7407f86d2edff1f1bf53b2530a1.png

Lopez's splits:

image.thumb.png.729a61c5197bcd205f972bcef034c8a6.png

4 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I don't think that's remotely accurate for Big Mike. He was very good until the over usage a few weeks back on that West Coast trip and he hasn't been quite the same since.

If you're suggesting that his recent performance leaves something to be desired, I can agree with that but I don't think that he is totally unreliable. And yes I would certainly prefer Big Mike over Jorge Lopez right now.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, banks703 said:

This effectively ends Baumann's season with the big club, right? With only nine games remaining, he cannot be recalled without an injury and if they are swapping Big Mike for TWells (instead of the obvious move - to me - of cutting bait on the Jorge Lopez rerun) I'd have to think that they don't think Big Mike is playoff roster worthy. 

I am not surprised to see TWells recalled but that it's for Baumann is surprising to me. 

He can come back for the postseason.  But yes, no more regular season unless someone gets hurt.  He’s no worse than a few other guys have been, but no better, either, so I’m not that surprised he was chosen.   

Funny he should mention blood.     Some team-wide pitching results are driven by data analysis simply adding components to the basket of Club performance.     I think Tyler Wells is a good pitcher, and running him out of gas is somewhat of a feature, not a bug.    I don't know how he'll do the next few days or weeks, but I am hopeful he'll be a stronger option than Irvin, McDermott or Povich next spring.     It might be possible to curate a longer quality run if in the first part the workload can be back of rotation instead of front.     Using good pitchers when they are in good form is good practice.

“Yeah, I mean, starting’s kind of in my blood,” he said. “It’s what I’ve done my entire minor league career, and then being up here, I found good success with it. It’s where I feel pretty comfortable, but I always want to do what’s best for the team, and being able to go there and kind of pick them up right now is one of those times.

Lowish leverage but Hyde goes to Wells in the 9th with a four run lead and he looked terrific. Threw two really good changeups and dominated the first two. Got behind the last guy 3-0 but came back and got a weak grounder to end it. I think he just moved up a notch or two in the playoffs bullpen. 

Webb looked real good too. Hyde will have some interesting choices to make.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lowish leverage but Hyde goes to Wells in the 9th with a four run lead and he looked terrific. Threw two really good changeups and dominated the first two. Got behind the last guy 3-0 but came back and got a weak grounder to end it. I think he just moved up a notch or two in the playoffs bullpen. 

Webb looked real good too. Hyde will have some interesting choices to make.

It was only against the lowly Nationals today, but having Webb and Wells as reliable late-inning arms out of the bullpen would give a huge boost to the ability of the O's to go deep in the long slog of the postseason battles.

14 hours ago, LA2 said:

It was only against the lowly Nationals today, but having Webb and Wells as reliable late-inning arms out of the bullpen would give a huge boost to the ability of the O's to go deep in the long slog of the postseason battles.

If Wells can throw like he did last night against much better hitters...we may have a solution to our pen issues...(no one can replace Felix)..especially if you add Gibson and or Kremer as possible pen pieces...