Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Deload to get ready for final push.  Gas tank was on empty.  Will be curious to see how they use him.  I imagine they start him with 1-2 innings and build him back up. 

Or they could just move him to the pen.  A new starter with Wells and Hall going to the bullpen in a couple of weeks could be a big boost.

Edited by NCRaven

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Or they could just move him to the pen.  A new starter with Wells and Hall going to the bullpen in a couple of weeks could be a big boost.

Bullpen = high stress innings & unpredictable workload.  They want to be able to control how & when he works.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Bullpen = high stress innings & unpredictable workload.  They want to be able to control how & when he works.  

If we acquire a quality starter, I think Wells has a clearer patch to a bullpen role than the rotation.

23 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If we acquire a quality starter, I think Wells has a clearer patch to a bullpen role than the rotation.

I agree that when he comes back he will be in a relief role.  They will take their time to get him built back up by roster deadline.  

Wells is at the most innings pitched he’s had, and is struggling right now. This is similar to the Marlins sending down Eury Perez- being cautious of the workload, especially here where you’ve witnessed diminished results. 

With the delay in Means coming back, I’ve thought for the past three weeks they only prepare him to be an opener, so maybe Wells is the bulk guy behind him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tyler Wells has only pitched twice since being sent to Bowie, once on August 5 and once on August 12.  He was optioned on July 30.   Unless I’m missing something, if he’s not recalled this weekend, he will not earn a full year of service time this year, and thus will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2027 season.  I wonder what the plan is for him?

If he pitched the 5th and the 12th I'd assume he probably goes tonight.  They're probably also monitoring him pretty closely to see how he looks.  I've assumed he'll come back up at some point and go to the pen for the remainder of the year.

Hadn't thought about the service time year but that would be a bummer for him I'm sure.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tyler Wells has only pitched twice since being sent to Bowie, once on August 5 and once on August 12.  He was optioned on July 30.   Unless I’m missing something, if he’s not recalled this weekend, he will not earn a full year of service time this year, and thus will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2027 season.  I wonder what the plan is for him?

I don’t want any servocetime manipulation for him, but this appears more likely trying to get him good to help down the stretch.  He wasn’t the same and there isn’t room for him pitching like he was. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So is this viewed as a bad move due to "service time manipulation" or a smart move due to appropriate utilization of valuable assets during a perceived window of opportunity? I see it as the latter. Just my $0.02.

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So is this viewed as a bad move due to "service time manipulation" or a smart move due to appropriate utilization of valuable assets during a perceived window of opportunity? I see it as the latter. Just my $0.02.

I don’t necessarily see it as either.  I don’t know what’s going on with Wells or what the plan is.  I certainly don’t think they “owe” him a roster if they don’t think he’s ready to help the team more than some other pitcher on the roster.  But I don’t know what they’re thinking.  

• Upvote 1