Trade targets: Starters and Bullpen

Matt S

The Padres are the team I would be looking at.  They don’t seem to have a team to compete this year but have some good core players that I think keeps them from doing a full rebuild.  They most likely want to shed some salary though.   I would look at Hader and Snell in a deal.  We should be able to eat 10 million of their remaining 15 million so if we save them some money won’t need to give up prospects high on our list or maybe even Mountcastle as one player as they have got nothing from first base and they could see him as low cost bounce back guy.  Mountcastle, Norby, and another lower level prospect.  

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Oh I definitely am not in favor of trading for injured players. That is unnecessary risk that we don’t need to take.

Agreed. The AL central being so weak might also take Cease off the market. The Sox could get hot and make a run. Plus, they don’t need a full rebuild. They would be contenders in that division next year. So that might take Ed Rod, Cease, and Bieber off the market. 

Is anyone available that much better than what Kremer and Bradish have shown recently?  Cobb?  Heck no. 

What would you give for another Felix Bautista?

Alexis Diaz might be the highest value pitcher, period, if CIN markets him.     It wasn't long after Edwin Diaz blew out his knee in the WBC that storytellers were like, "wouldn't it be great for the Mets to get Alexis to replace Edwin"?

Alexis D. like Andrew Miller is one of the game's best RP, and like Edwin D. has many years left, so CIN could get a ton if they felt their roster doesn't yet need a Relief Ace.

Brothers poetry aside, BAL has a stronger farm than NYM...its just a question of if Elias could stomach the risk of exchanging 3000-6000 PA for 300 IP (if the pitcher doesn't get hurt...) and win the bid.   Pre-arb Alexis Diaz costs talent, not money.

If MLB has another Felix Bautista this summer, its Alexis Diaz.   Like Adley and Felix, he entered 2023 with five years of Club control remaining, so his cheap years align with the Orioles group.     Of course any Arm can detonate any pitch, and it is probably more likely the harder you throw, the greater chance of that happening sometime.

3 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Alex Cobb might be a guy worth considering. Favorable contract getting paid $9m this year, with a club option for next year $10m. I would hope that the cost wouldn't be too high, as the Giants aren't real competitors for anything this year. Maybe we could land Cobb with a package something like Norby & Bencosme.

I'd imagine Cobb would fair a bit better in Camden a second time around.

Please no!  The moment Cobb steps off the plane he will transform into O's Cobb.  He will probably suffer an injury on the ride from the airport or he will pitch like someone who should be in AAA but off course continue getting starts because of his big contract.

55 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Padres are the team I would be looking at.  They don’t seem to have a team to compete this year but have some good core players that I think keeps them from doing a full rebuild.  They most likely want to shed some salary though.   I would look at Hader and Snell in a deal.  We should be able to eat 10 million of their remaining 15 million so if we save them some money won’t need to give up prospects high on our list or maybe even Mountcastle as one player as they have got nothing from first base and they could see him as low cost bounce back guy.  Mountcastle, Norby, and another lower level prospect.  

The O'S should be able to pick up their full salary although I'm not sure Angelos will allow it.  They might require a better package than that.  I'm not sure they would take sub .300 OBP Mountcastle as the headliner.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed. The AL central being so weak might also take Cease off the market. The Sox could get hot and make a run. Plus, they don’t need a full rebuild. They would be contenders in that division next year. So that might take Ed Rod, Cease, and Bieber off the market. 

Is anyone available that much better than what Kremer and Bradish have shown recently?  Cobb?  Heck no. 

I don't know who is and will be available at the deadline. Now is irrelevant compared to then, so I'm not sure your question can be answered right now. I would say if Cobb is available, then yes he is MUCH better than Kremer and Bradish, at least he's having a much better seen to date. If Luzardo is available I would take him in a New York minute over ANYTHING we have now as well. Also, if Stroman is available the same applies to him. I'm confident that better pitches than Kremer and Bradish (#4/5 type starters) will be available at the deadline.

You appear to think WAY MORE of Kremer and Bradish than I.

How long are we staying with the DL Hall as a SP experiment?  For this season, and the future… it’s looking like we should just make Hall a full time reliever and see what we have. I’d rather make that call with Hall versus trading prospects for a guy like Aroldis Chapman. With our current formula for winning, we do need one more premium bullpen arm. 

Chapman is one of the last people on the planet I want walking into our clubhouse.  We don't need a cancer like him.

• Upvote 1

How long are we staying with the DL Hall as a SP experiment?  For this season, and the future… it’s looking like we should just make Hall a full time reliever and see what we have. I’d rather make that call with Hall versus trading prospects for a guy like Aroldis Chapman. With our current formula for winning, we do need one more premium bullpen arm. 

Chapman is one of the last people on the planet I want walking into our clubhouse.  We don't need a cancer like him.

42 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Alexis Diaz might be the highest value pitcher, period, if CIN markets him.     It wasn't long after Edwin Diaz blew out his knee in the WBC that storytellers were like, "wouldn't it be great for the Mets to get Alexis to replace Edwin"?

Alexis D. like Andrew Miller is one of the game's best RP, and like Edwin D. has many years left, so CIN could get a ton if they felt their roster doesn't yet need a Relief Ace.

Brothers poetry aside, BAL has a stronger farm than NYM...its just a question of if Elias could stomach the risk of exchanging 3000-6000 PA for 300 IP (if the pitcher doesn't get hurt...) and win the bid.   Pre-arb Alexis Diaz costs talent, not money.

If MLB has another Felix Bautista this summer, its Alexis Diaz.   Like Adley and Felix, he entered 2023 with five years of Club control remaining, so his cheap years align with the Orioles group.     Of course any Arm can detonate any pitch, and it is probably more likely the harder you throw, the greater chance of that happening sometime.

The reds are probably ready to compete next season so i doubt they will want to move a cost controlled top level back end bullpen guy.  The one thing they would want even if he was available would most likely be pitching prospects as they are built like us with young depth in position players.

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Good question/scenario to pose. I believe that middle relief is a need for us because we really only have 3 reliable relievers. Bautista, Cano, and half of Coulombe and half of Baker...lol

But in seriousness, we need to be leading in games for that even to matter which means our starter has to get through 5/6 and be better than theirs. I don't really like that proposition against elite teams. In the playoffs, you are going to have to win some lower scoring games. I'm not convinced that our starters can hold down the opposition for our relief pitching to even matter. (beyond maybe Wells for 5 innings). We had a SUPER ELITE BP with Miller, Brach, O'Day, and Britton and it didn't really matter in the end. That was because our O couldn't score, this time it will probably be because our starters can't be effective for long enough.

I'm not against BP help whatsoever, but I think an impact starter is needed also. And if I had to rank the two, I would place starting pitcher as the greater need.

44 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't know who is and will be available at the deadline. Now is irrelevant compared to then, so I'm not sure your question can be answered right now. I would say if Cobb is available, then yes he is MUCH better than Kremer and Bradish, at least he's having a much better seen to date. If Luzardo is available I would take him in a New York minute over ANYTHING we have now as well. Also, if Stroman is available the same applies to him. I'm confident that better pitches than Kremer and Bradish (#4/5 type starters) will be available at the deadline.

You appear to think WAY MORE of Kremer and Bradish than I.

I fear that Cobb would be injured within a week after the O's acquired him.

47 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O'S should be able to pick up their full salary although I'm not sure Angelos will allow it.  They might require a better package than that.  I'm not sure they would take sub .300 OBP Mountcastle as the headliner.

Norby is a top 100 prospect Mountcastle is still a guy that will hit 25+ homers while leading the team RBI, Runs, and total bases.  His lack of walks is the thing that kills is OBP which is why it should not be only stat you look at.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

What is Snell really? This isn't 2018 anymore. he's nothing better than the "5 and dive" guys that we already have. We don't need another one IMO. We need a real impact starter. I think we can and should set our sights a lot higher than the Blake Snell of 2023.

5 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Alex Cobb might be a guy worth considering. Favorable contract getting paid $9m this year, with a club option for next year $10m. I would hope that the cost wouldn't be too high, as the Giants aren't real competitors for anything this year. Maybe we could land Cobb with a package something like Norby & Bencosme.

I'd imagine Cobb would fair a bit better in Camden a second time around.

Other than us fans, does Cobb's first time with the O's matter to anyone? Does it matter to our front office? Does it matter to him? Anyone else? Is it just us butt-hurt fans because we paid him big money then and it didn't work out?