Bowie is going to look different (lots of moves)

Legend_Of_Joey

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if Handley has been demoted or they are just moving down for a few games since he’s been out for several weeks.  

My guess is that it's a rehab assignment. Just like they did with Haskin. Bowie seems to be content with Florentino doing alot of catching, so it would seem counter-productive to move Mav there full time.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

My guess is that it's a rehab assignment. Just like they did with Haskin. Bowie seems to be content with Florentino doing alot of catching, so it would seem counter-productive to move Mav there full time.

I don't like second guessing but I will Second your guess...  

I don't know the difference between these transactions that both occurred yesterday "Bowie Baysox sent C Ramon Rodriguez on a rehab assignment to Delmarva Shorebirds." vs "C Maverick Handley assigned to Bowie Baysox from Norfolk Tides."

Both have been on the IL about the same time over the past month.  Perhaps players are assigned if you make a move 1 level  up or down and it is a rehab assignment if you make a 2 level move or more downward?  But then again, on May 30, 2023 the Bowie Baysox sent 3B Toby Welk on a rehab assignment to Delmarva Shorebirds and a week later, June 6th, Bowie Baysox sent 3B Toby Welk on a rehab assignment to Aberdeen IronBirds... so the two moves down language matches but the move up 1 destroys my hypothesis.

The O's  at Aberdeen have Ardoin (0.196 avg in 112 ABs) and Willems (0.167 in 18 ABs since his promotion) that received over $1,000,000 in signing bonuses combined.  O's have to let the $$$ play

In Bowie, they have Florentino (0.115 in 61 AB, 0.345 OPS) and Susnara (0.167 in 30 ABs, 0.494 OPS) playing because Portnoy went down over a month ago and Rodriguez went down about 3 weeks ago.  Kolozsvary was there a short time as well.  Susnara was signed after not having played since September 2021 to fill the holes because of the injuries.

So with O's signing Jose Godoy to AAA and Kolozsvary moved back to Norfolk from Bowie (0.177 in 62 AAA ABs, 0.211 in 19 AA ABs), I think the O's are actually giving Handley a real rehab as after his first 1 week IL stint, he went 2-15 with 10Ks the first week back vs JAX and the following week started 4-10 with 2 Ks vs SYR.  But then dropped back to IL... but for 2 weeks this last time.  I had to look at game logs as MiLB transactions dates are wonky.

I remember a time last year where all 4 catchers on the AAA squad were down because of injury and they had to promote Roberts and Rodriguez to cover with all those injuries.

Catcher truly is the toughest position.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if Handley has been demoted or they are just moving down for a few games since he’s been out for several weeks.  

It's probably more about getting him regular PAs. The Bowie catching situation has been abysmal.

Just watched Easton Lucas pitch for the Tides tonight, relieving Grayson.  Apparently he had a 1.59 ERA at Bowie and an excellent K/BB ratio.

He looked really sharp.  Hoping he'll stand out enough to warrant his own 2023 thread soon.  I otherwise know nothing about him (forgive me if he's been talked about elsewhere to any degree). 

10 hours ago, justD said:

Just watched Easton Lucas pitch for the Tides tonight, relieving Grayson.  Apparently he had a 1.59 ERA at Bowie and an excellent K/BB ratio.

He looked really sharp.  Hoping he'll stand out enough to warrant his own 2023 thread soon.  I otherwise know nothing about him (forgive me if he's been talked about elsewhere to any degree). 

He’s the guy we got when we traded Jonathan Villar after DFAing him.  I remember a lot of people saying he was just a beard for a salary dump.  Villar has been worth 0.4 rWAR since then and hasn’t played this year.  So, if Lucas were to reach the majors and do anything at all, that would be a coup.  He’s 26 years old and we did not protect him in the Rule 5 draft last year.

• Thanks 1