Friday June 16: an afternoon at Wrigley Field

SteveA

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I just dont want us trading real talent for a rental like they did with Boston and Rodrigez.  We never had pitching prospects and they sent probably one of our best for one pitcher who was only on the team for two months.  It was dumb then and if we do the same type of stuff it will be dumb now.  

Whoever we get has to be under control for at least two years.  

The fan refrain:  I want someone good with years of team control left but I don't want to give anything up.

The O's have been drafting one side and neglecting the other.  They will need to trade from that surplus at some point.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The fan refrain:  I want someone good with years of team control left but I don't want to give anything up.

The O's have been drafting one side and neglecting the other.  They will need to trade from that surplus at some point.

I dont mind giving up quality.  You have to.  But I want some control.  That rental trade in 2014 burned me on guys just to make a playoff push.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wanted Bassitt who has been healthy at least and didn't sign for a ton.

Funny how people keep mentioning free agents and not players that would be traded for.

What's the difference? Starting pitchers are fickle creatures mentally and physically. A lot can go wrong, and the O's can little afford to be wrong.

I would much prefer we pay money and be wrong than send non-fungible prospects.