Stark: Os, DBacks and Reds taking advantage of new rules

Sports Guy

Interesting.  I mean obvious, but interesting.  We knew the rules would play to the team speed strength before the season.  

It does help frame why Mateo has a long leash.  And maybe why McCann (and possibly Hicks) was brought in.  Frazier had other factors of why (ie contact rate).  But he’s trending in the wrong direction for a few metrics.  I wonder if they have ways to evaluate decision making (breaks, anticipating the play, etc) to include in post-game reports.

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

Seems better than Ortiz's OPS.

Yep, totally fair comparison, a 31 year old, getting regular at bats who has had an OPS+ between 80 and 86 for the last three seasons and a 24 year old rookie with as many total at bats as Frazier gets in a good week.

I'm sure Frazier has never had a stretch of 32 at bats with an OPS ~460.  Not as if Frazier has had a 484 OPS over the last 28 days.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Frazier is just awful.  He's a lifetime mediocrity, with nothing in his history to suggest a future upside.  Elias blew it on this one, and appears to be too vain to admit it.  

The article was terrific.

I really have a hard time describing a player with 13.2 rWAR as a “lifetime mediocrity.”  257 players debuted in 2016; Frazier ranks 19th in his debut class in rWAR.  If being in the top 8% makes him a “lifetime mediocrity,” what do you call the 238 guys beneath him?

Now, you want to say he’s mediocre now, that’s a different conversation.  But, for what it’s worth, he ranks 73rd in rWAR among 304 position players listed on BB-ref.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, totally fair comparison, a 31 year old, getting regular at bats who has had an OPS+ between 80 and 86 for the last three seasons and a 24 year old rookie with as many total at bats as Frazier gets in a good week.

I'm sure Frazier has never had a stretch of 32 at bats with an OPS ~460.  Not as if Frazier has had a 484 OPS over the last 28 days.

Who said anything about fairness? Did Frazier cheat? Ortiz's offense is costing us runs scored.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There’s no way Ortiz should be judged based on the limited at bats he’s had.  I have no idea how good he’d be in an extended sample, but his current numbers aren’t a fair test.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Who said anything about fairness? Did Frazier cheat? Ortiz's offense is costing us runs scored.

So is Frazier's.  I know stats, and reason, aren't your thing but did you not notice that Frazier's numbers over the last 28 days are super close to the numbers Ortiz has put up?  Over the last week they are even lower.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So is Frazier's.  I know stats, and reason, aren't your thing but did you not notice that Frazier's numbers over the last 28 days are super close to the numbers Ortiz has put up?  Over the last week they are even lower.

The season isn't 28 days old. I take into account the entire season.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

So is Fraziers over the last month.

I mean, do you actually believe the drivel that you post or are you just trolling as part of a schtick?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really have a hard time describing a player with 13.2 rWAR as a “lifetime mediocrity.”  257 players debuted in 2016; Frazier ranks 19th in his debut class in rWAR.  If being in the top 8% makes him a “lifetime mediocrity,” what do you call the 238 guys beneath him?

Now, you want to say he’s mediocre now, that’s a different conversation.  But, for what it’s worth, he ranks 73rd in rWAR among 304 position players listed on BB-ref.  

I've posted my opinion of WAR and been thoroughly flamed as a Luddite.  I call the 238 beneath him shoe salesmen on the wrong career path.  

9 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I've posted my opinion of WAR and been thoroughly flamed as a Luddite.  I call the 238 beneath him shoe salesmen on the wrong career path.  

I mean, Al Bundy did score 4 touchdowns in the city championship game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You heard it from the horse's mouth.  Adam Frazier must play.  His decision making and instincts is OFF THE CHARTS. 

Don't you'll love the immeasurables?

Sadly Frazier's .219/.244/.395 over his last 30 games is all too measurable.  I don't think I'm going to be buying a used car from Mike Elias any time soon.

45 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Is the season only 1 month old?

No and Ortiz hasn’t been “bad” for the whole season either yet you are stupidly acting like he is. So, the sample size of his has been comped to Frazier for the last month as an actual comparison that most intelligent people can see.

Its up to you whether or not you can figure out the comparison and why your argument is complete garbage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No and Ortiz hasn’t been “bad” for the whole season either yet you are stupidly acting like he is. So, the sample size of his has been comped to Frazier for the last month as an actual comparison that most intelligent people can see.

Its up to you whether or not you can figure out the comparison and why your argument is complete garbage.

Frazier has a larger sample size than Ortiz.