When is the best time to call up rookies?

Sports Guy

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

And? Does that change anything I just said? Not sure why you all have such a stick up your ass about Frazier being on the team and have to attack anyone who’s just trying to see the little bit of value that he has. 

I don't want someone that makes a lot of outs as my bench bat.

He's not a good hitter.  When the game is on the line I don't want the guy off the bench to have an 84 OPS+.

And how am I attacking anyone?  I'm providing evidence.

He doesn't have any plus tools at this stage in his career.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They still would?

Do you think Frazier is going to stop in the middle of an inning and drop some sage advice that can't wait until the inning is over?  I'm at a loss as to what the scenario you are positing looks like.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmHy-H9gkge/?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

For some reasons this back and forth reminded me of this funny IG guy.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want someone that makes a lot of outs as my bench bat.

He's not a good hitter.  When the game is on the line I don't want the guy off the bench to have an 84 OPS+.

And how am I attacking anyone?  I'm providing evidence.

He doesn't have any plus tools at this stage in his career.

And I’m just explaining what I think the front office sees as his value. Not really arguing with you or anyone else. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

He's 0-11 with 5 K's. I hope it's not an automatic as to when he comes back. 

I mean yes but this is the Orioles. They love struggling lefties

edit: meant struggling players don't know why i said lefties (maybe I miss chris davis subconsciously

Edited by Orioles0615

There’s no reason to keep putting Mateo out there. His pathetic offense is too much for his glove to overcome. Same with Frazier except his glove isn’t that good, either.

These two are not good and could pretty easily be replaced with better options. Just gotta have the stones to pull the trigger.

Gunnar 3B

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2B

I would also try to trade Hays + for a pitcher and put Cowser in left field. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There’s no reason to keep putting Mateo out there. His pathetic offense is too much for his glove to overcome. Same with Frazier except his glove isn’t that good, either.

These two are not good and could pretty easily be replaced with better options. Just gotta have the stones to pull the trigger.

Gunnar 3B

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2B

I would also try to trade Hays + for a pitcher and put Cowser in left field. 

I was with you right up to trading Hays

The Orioles have gone 12-12 since the end of the Yankee series in late May.  I would say that’s a long enough stretch to justify shaking things up some without worrying about disrupting a streaking team.

Not too optimistic that we will see those changes considering Ortiz is here now and can’t even get on the field.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The difference is that if you stick with the struggling veteran, you get to keep both the veteran and the rookie in your organization. 

If you go with the (possibly) struggling rookie, you’ll have to jettison the struggling veteran. 

I continue to believe that Elias is still viewing things through the lens of the organization as a whole, rather than one with a primary/sole focus on the ML team. I think his goal continues to be to accumulate as much depth — as many potential assets as possible.

In other words, I think he frames the choice as (a) keep both Frazier and Westburg, with Frazier playing at the ML level or (b) only keep Westburg and play him at the ML level. Same deal with Mateo/Ortiz, Perez/Vespi, etc.

You can still keep Mateo and Frazier. 

I'm glad Lester got a chance to fill in for a few, and hopefully he'll qualify for the benefits and whatever else a MLB player has coming...but he's a guy that can be moved. I think McKenna still has options. 

Bringing up worthy and qualified real talent from AAA does not have to be an "either or" situation. 

I don't care about the playoffs this season. I'm more interested in seeing who fits where, and what needs will have to be filled through trades and FA. Honestly, I don't care about Cowser coming up as much as I'd rather see Westburg up. There's 2 way underperforming positions on the IF that he could possibly help fill...at least 1 of them.