So, what can the pitching do to stop giving up home runs? Cause, dang

banks703

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I suspect this Yankees series is where the proverbial other shoe drops. 

You can’t give up three home runs to the Yankees and expect to win. The home runs are a major problem. 

You are really fixated on the home runs, but it’s lousy pitching in general that’s the issue.  The Orioles are 9th in homers allowed, and they’re 10th in ERA.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You are really fixated on the home runs, but it’s lousy pitching in general that’s the issue.  The Orioles are 9th in homers allowed, and they’re 10th in ERA.

Agreed..but..(and I don’t know if there is a way to quantify ‘the wheels falling off’ effect) Tyler just said himself that he needs to cut down on the homers. The home runs in a vacuum aren’t as big of a problem as the series of events that seem to come after allowing them for guys like Tyler and Dean especially. 

Tyler went 6 tonight and gave up two solo home runs. That’s a quality start. If he gives up only one of those homers though maybe he gets to pitch into the 7th or goes 7 and the bullpen is set up for the last two innings. 

They’re frustrating because they seem to occur in the most inopportune times. 

30 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Agreed..but..(and I don’t know if there is a way to quantify ‘the wheels falling off’ effect) Tyler just said himself that he needs to cut down on the homers. The home runs in a vacuum aren’t as big of a problem as the series of events that seem to come after allowing them for guys like Tyler and Dean especially. 

Tyler went 6 tonight and gave up two solo home runs. That’s a quality start. If he gives up only one of those homers though maybe he gets to pitch into the 7th or goes 7 and the bullpen is set up for the last two innings. 

They’re frustrating because they seem to occur in the most inopportune times. 

Of course, Wells’ HR propensity is frustrating.   Still, bottom line is he has a 3.22 ERA, lowest WHiP in the league among starters and had us in position to win tonight.  With him, I’ll live with the homers.  He gives up more than his share, but 71% have been solos (58% is league average), and all the others have been two run jobs.  That’s 1.29 runs/homer; league average is 1.57 runs/homer.  So, Wells can afford to give up a few more than more pitchers.   

While he was in the rotation, Grayson’s homers were very problematic.  Of the 13 homers he allowed, 7 came with runners on. Including two 3-run homers and a grand slam.  That’s 2.31 runs per homer.   

• Upvote 1

I think we have a HR problem...but its on our offense...suddenly we aren't hitting many at all...and Santander with 14 homers to lead the team isn't NEARLY enough of a threat...we hit a bunch of HR earlier in the season...but now its an occasional blast...but nothing scary for an opponents pitching to worry about...we need POWER...and we also need to somehow find a way to get runners in with RISP...two O'Hearn at bats tonight were crucial....one a strike out with RISP and one a line drive caught that might've changed the whole game if it got through..it didnt...we lose...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think we have a HR problem...but its on our offense...suddenly we aren't hitting many at all...and Santander with 14 homers to lead the team isn't NEARLY enough of a threat...we hit a bunch of HR earlier in the season...but now its an occasional blast...but nothing scary for an opponents pitching to worry about...we need POWER...and we also need to somehow find a way to get runners in with RISP...two O'Hearn at bats tonight were crucial....one a strike out with RISP and one a line drive caught that might've changed the whole game if it got through..it didnt...we lose...

Absolutely, spot on.  

30 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

April: 34 homers in 28 ganes

May: 31 homers in 28 ganes

June: 31 homers in 24 games

Seems pretty consistent to me.  We haven’t hit one in 3 July games, but that’s too small a sample to worry about.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April: 34 homers in 28 ganes

May: 31 homers in 28 ganes

June: 31 homers in 24 games

Seems pretty consistent to me.  We haven’t hit one in 3 July games, but that’s too small a sample to worry about.  

well, the Yankees had 3 HR tonight , 2 a solo, and one 3- run job.Apparently homers can be hit in bunches...we haven t gotten the memo yet...in fact I didnt think we hit a bad to even the warning track tonight....Ill say it again...we need more power...

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

well, the Yankees had 3 HR tonight , 2 a solo, and one 3- run job.Apparently homers can be hit in bunches...we haven t gotten the memo yet...in fact I didnt think we hit a bad to even the warning track tonight....Ill say it again...we need more power...

The Orioles have hit 3+ homers in a game 10 times this year.  They are 6th in the AL in homers per game.  They’re 6th in batting average.  They’re 6th in OBP.  They’re 6th in slugging.  They’re 6th in OPS.   They’re 5th in runs scored per game.  

In short, they have a well-rounded offensive team that is above average but not great in all aspects of offense.  Could they use more power?  Sure, what team couldn’t?   They also couid use another guy with a high BA or someone who gets on base a lot, just like any other team.  But we do not have a significant shortage of power on this team, and one game or even three homerless games doesn’t change that.  The results over the 83 games played are far more relevant.  

Here’s another few data points:

The average AL team scores 40.2% of its runs via homers (including runners on base).   Going into tonight, the O’s were at 40.6%.  Now after going homerless today they are at 40.1%.  The pitchers were at 41.2% going into to tonight; now it’s 42.0% after allowing 3 homers including a 3-run bomb.  Still, all these numbers are close to league average.  The O’s are not an outlier in terms of how many homers they hit, or how many they allow, or how many runs they score or allow on homers.  In fact, after tonight, they have scored exactly as many runs on homers (158) as they have allowed.  

So hit a few more homers, and allow a few less?   Sure, that would be great.  But getting on base more often, and allowing the other team to get on base less often, is equally important.  

5 hours ago, banks703 said:

He came close to giving up 2 more. He was getting hit hard most of the night. He just got lucky that there was a lot of space in Centerfield and that Hicks and Mullins can cover some ground / track fly balls better than most players.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles have hit 3+ homers in a game 10 times this year.  They are 6th in the AL in homers per game.  They’re 6th in batting average.  They’re 6th in OBP.  They’re 6th in slugging.  They’re 6th in OPS.   They’re 5th in runs scored per game.  

In short, they have a well-rounded offensive team that is above average but not great in all aspects of offense.  Could they use more power?  Sure, what team couldn’t?   They also couid use another guy with a high BA or someone who gets on base a lot, just like any other team.  But we do not have a significant shortage of power on this team, and one game or even three homerless games doesn’t change that.  The results over the 83 games played are far more relevant.  

These are good points.  I think Roy’s post is more a reaction to the reaction.  The reaction is we are giving up too many home runs.  Roy is looking at it and in shorthand saying that the offense has been as much if not more of the problem as of late.  The good news is there are signs they are coming out of this team- wide funk. All teams struggle. The ‘83 team had TWO 7 game losing streaks and won a world title. 

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He came close to giving up 2 more. He was getting hit hard most of the night. He just got lucky that there was a lot of space in Centerfield and that Hicks and Mullins can cover some ground / track fly balls better than most players.

Yeah, Wells wasn’t that sharp last night.  I certainly thought that ball Stanton hit to deep LCF was going out, but Hicks hauled it in on the warning track.   Still, if that’s a bad day for him, I’ll take it.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That makes the pitch to Volpe with two outs more frustrating. He hammered the ball previous at bat - feel free to avoid the center of the plate.