Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

I was impressed by the debut last night, as mentioned above he looks very comfortable in the show and that defensive play he made was amazing.

I have had a crush on Ortiz the past year and was hoping he would be the guy to come up and crack into the lineup but I do agree that one of Ortiz / Westburg probably does need to be traded and I can see Westburg being the better choice for 2B.

Hyde is going to have some good options down the stretch to put solid lineups out there vs RHP and LHP.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The almost double play where he flipped the ball to Mateo and Mateo made that miraculous turn and throw was a thing of beauty.

Not sure how many SS in the league could have made that play and made it that close.

And when I saw it, it looked like these guys had played together for years for being able to basically seemlesly do that.   Very good play by both guys.  

41 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

And when I saw it, it looked like these guys had played together for years for being able to basically seemlesly do that.   Very good play by both guys.  

They didn’t look like they’d played together for years on the earlier ground ball where they nearly collided.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t look like they’d played together for years on the earlier ground ball where they nearly collided.  

That ball was in no man’s land. He probably should have let Mateo have that but that’s tough to pull off at that moment. Unfamiliarity likely played a factor too, as you said.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Doesn't look like he has the pop based on his minor league track record or his 33 Major League at bats?

The perfect question to ask!  Ortiz showed decent pop at Norfolk, lots of gap power, and hitting the other way.  It did not show up yet at the major league level, but it took Jered Kelenic a while to tap into his pop (for example), so I'm not ready to write-him off yet as not having enough pop.  I think he was still adjusting to irregular playing time.  

16 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope so.

The opening round of the playoffs is a quick 3 game series. When I look at the Astros, Rangers, Twins, and Yankees (when fully healthy) I see teams with much better starting pitching than what we have. It will be an uphill battle if we go in as is. Don't get me wrong I like what Bradish and Wells have done this season. But Wells is very homer prone and if you send him out there against the other teams #1, we could be down 0-1 in a hurry. Kremer I wouldn't trust int the playoffs at all.

I think this is generally true. We don't have anyone that can consistently get into or past the 7th on a regular basis. That said, any of these 4 on any given day can match anyone else's #1. It's just a gamble as to who shows up on that day. 

4 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

I think this is generally true. We don't have anyone that can consistently get into or past the 7th on a regular basis. That said, any of these 4 on any given day can match anyone else's #1. It's just a gamble as to who shows up on that day. 

IMO we have WAY TOO much talent within the organization to accept living with such a gamble. I hope there are plans to attempt aquiring someone to match up with the Coles, McClanahans, Gausmans, Grays, Ryans, Valdezs, Javiers, Eovaldis, etc of the world.

Because without that we are going to be facing a serious uphill battle.

IMO we have tremendous depth, the type that leads to consistent success in the regular season, but I don't feel great about the roster build for the postseason. The thought of facing a team like the Yankees in a short series (especially if they are healthy) terrifies me. IMO they are built much better for postseason success than they are to go the long haul in the regular season. We appear to be the opposite of that right now.

40 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

The perfect question to ask!  Ortiz showed decent pop at Norfolk, lots of gap power, and hitting the other way.  It did not show up yet at the major league level, but it took Jered Kelenic a while to tap into his pop (for example), so I'm not ready to write-him off yet as not having enough pop.  I think he was still adjusting to irregular playing time.  

To be far he's only been given 33 sporadic at-bats.  Not really enough to show what he can do yet or how his power will translate.  I think Westburg is more of a power bat, but Ortiz isn't that far behind.