If the Orioles DFA’d Mateo…

Sports Guy

Mateo DFA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your reaction if the Os DFA’d Mateo?

• It’s about time!
    • What are they thinking!?!?
    • Wouldn’t really care either way
    • I get it but don’t agree with it

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pretty weird concept. You almost never see fans drastically undervalue their team’s players, but that’s where things are with Mateo, it seems.

The time to trade Mateo would have been when he had some value. In the offseason

He's had a couple of good solid hot streaks.

One last year.... one this year. But he has otherwise been relatively poor with the bat. 

As an example.. his 2023 OPS by month was as follows:

April 1.015

May .316

Jun .456

He hasn't just been bad with the bat... he's been awful. Whatever magic he had to open the season has been either figured out by scouts, or lost to his own psychology.

He also got some recognition for his defense last year. But has missed some routine plays this year.

You may think that teams will be lining up to trade for a player with an OPS in the high .300s since april... and you're certainly welcome to think that.

Hopefully some MLB GM shares your delusion.

But in reality... we'd get a couple bags of balls.. I'd insist they be new balls though... no scuffs

Edited by owknows
typo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think he is worth a lottery ticket or two.  Lopez brought more than I thought he was worth.  I can see some team giving us some minor talents for the chance that Mateo figures it out.  

Do you honestly think Mateo has anything even remotely approaching the value Lopez had at the time we traded him?

Just now, owknows said:

Do you honestly think Mateo has anything even remotely approaching the value Lopez had at the time we traded him?

You watch.....Elias will get something for Mateo.  Maybe it will be some kids in the Dominican Summer League that probably wont amount to much but they will be lottery tickets.   Mateo has value to a team that is failing and can afford to play him at SS everyday or has some value as a pinch runner defensive replacement.  

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You watch.....Elias will get something for Mateo.  Maybe it will be some kids in the Dominican Summer League that probably wont amount to much but they will be lottery tickets.   Mateo has value to a team that is failing and can afford to play him at SS everyday or has some value as a pinch runner defensive replacement.  

Yeah... exactly.

a couple bags of balls.

I'd think it's pretty stupid if we DFA him.  He can't hit much. Okay.  But his defense at a premium position makes him an upgrade somewhere.  I have to think that we'd be able to find a trade partner for either a non-zero prospect, some relief help, or in a package for some starting pitching. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Stranger things have happened.  I agree it’s not that likely, but the guy has literally had no value for almost two months.  He’s got a .367 OPS since May 1, and no amount of defense can make up for that.  The only reason NOT to DFA him is that (1) you think he’ll snap out of it, or (2) you think he could being value in a trade.   

But he's not a .367 OPS hitter. He has a .623 OPS for the season, and last year had a .646 OPS. I can't think of a single reason to DFA him. Trade him, sure. But just DFA? Just give him to whichever team happens to have the waiver priority? I can't see it at all. Much easier to just send Ortiz down, put Mateo on the bench as a utility infielder, and try to find a trade partner. 

• Upvote 1

I look at him being "addition by doing subtraction".   We may lose out on a stud infielder by trying to milk something out of Mateo, who can not hit major league pitching.  IT is like h aving a stock in your portfolio, which did real good 10 years ago and you just can't sell it.  So you miss out on several great choices.

Edited by 2001OriolesFan
  • Upvote 1

The reason this won't happen before the deadline is twofold. 1) As many have said Mateo himself could be traded for something, and without needing the 10 day DFA limit to force it. 2) Elias likely wants to keep his options open in terms of who to trade and who to keep based on how the market evolves. Losing Mateo pre-deadline gives him one less piece on the board for planning the post-deadline roster. 

On 6/25/2023 at 7:49 PM, Explosivo said:

dude just helped win the game today with his speed. No way would we just DFA him. Ridiculous. Is his calling better as a defensive replacement/pinch runner? Well yeah, but he still retains value on this team.

Is he worth losing one of our prospects because he is taking up a 26 and 40 man roster spot?