2B/3B/SS playing time for the next 30 games

Frobby

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:
  • 2B:  Frazier 14, Westie (lots of T-shirt possibilities there) 12, Urias 4
  • SS:  Gunnar 14, Mateo 12, Westie 4
  • 3B:  Gunnar 13, Gold Glove Urias 10, Westie 7

Total Starts (Isn't that what really matter here?):  Gunnar 27, Westie 23, Frazier 14, Urias 14, Matteo 12 

Given Hyde's near-obsession with maximizing platoon matchups, I think there will be plenty of games where two guys each get 3 innings or more at a position, and some where the starter sometimes plays there for less than half a game. There also will be -- and should be -- lots of instances where a starter moves to a different position during the course of a game. 

I don't get this.  While it's [roughly] what will happen, is that what you really want to happen?  Why would anyone want to watch Frazier start over Gunnar or Westburg?  I want to see as much of those two as possible.  Urias and Mateo can mix in some though I prefer Ortiz.  While Frazier isn't the worst left handed vet to have around, he's not a good hitter and his defense is bad.  

18 hours ago, Ripken said:

I don't get this.  While it's [roughly] what will happen, is that what you really want to happen?  Why would anyone want to watch Frazier start over Gunnar or Westburg?  I want to see as much of those two as possible.  Urias and Mateo can mix in some though I prefer Ortiz.  While Frazier isn't the worst left handed vet to have around, he's not a good hitter and his defense is bad.  

As I tried to make clear, I focused largely on the games started by each.  I have Gunnar starting 90% of the games, Westie 77%, Urias and Frazier 47% each, and Mateo 36%. I think that's about right. I want to see the young guys get plenty of playing time, and I think giving them these starts will serve that purpose. I also want to see the Orioles qualify for the playoffs, finish the season with the best record they can, and be as ready for the playoffs as they can be. Assuming Mateo, Urias and Frazier stay on the 26-man, I think my suggestion serves both objectives. I understand that others disagree, probably for a variety of reasons.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, Frobby said:

Tell me what you’d like to see over the next 30 games, assuming Westburg, Henderson, Mateo, Frazier and Urias are all still on the roster and Ortiz isn’t.  Be specific, how many games for each guy at each spot.   

Here’s mine:

2B: Westburg 20,  Frazier 10

3B: Urias 20,  Henderson 8, Westburg 2

SS: Henderson 20, Mateo 10

There’s only been 26 games since I started this thread, but since I thought of this today, I thought I’d see how it’s worked out so far.

2B: Frazier 13, Westburg 10, Urias 3

3B: Urias 11, Westburg 8, Henderson 7

SS: Henderson 15, Mateo 11

Urias also started 3 games at 1B, Frazier had 1 in LF, and Gunnar had 1 at DH.

Overall, not too far from what I hoped, with Gunnar getting 22 starts (+1 at DH), Westburg 18, Urias 14 (+3 at 1B), Frazier 13 (+1 in LF) and Mateo 11.  

I wrote in the OP that I thought playing time would be adjusted after the first month based on performance.  At this point, short of trading/cutting Mateo, I’d like to see him cut back to no more than one start per week, with Gunnar moving to SS more or less full time and the extra playing time added to Westburg and Urias’ workload.  I’m fine with leaving Frazier’s playing time more less where it is, i.e. starting about half the time.

I think it’s a positive that everyone gets a chance to stay fresh. The versatility of Gunnar, Westburg and Urias really gives Hyde a lot of options, both when he makes up the starting lineup and when he makes substitutions.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s only been 26 games since I started this thread, but since I thought of this today, I thought I’d see how it’s worked out so far.

2B: Frazier 13, Westburg 10, Urias 3

3B: Urias 11, Westburg 8, Henderson 7

SS: Henderson 15, Mateo 11

Urias also started 3 games at 1B, Frazier had 1 in LF, and Gunnar had 1 at DH.

Overall, not too far from what I hoped, with Gunnar getting 22 starts (+1 at DH), Westburg 18, Urias 14 (+3 at 1B), Frazier 13 (+1 in LF) and Mateo 11.  

I wrote in the OP that I thought playing time would be adjusted after the first month based on performance.  At this point, short of trading/cutting Mateo, I’d like to see him cut back to no more than one start per week, with Gunnar moving to SS more or less full time and the extra playing time added to Westburg and Urias’ workload.  I’m fine with leaving Frazier’s playing time more less where it is, i.e. starting about half the time.

I think it’s a positive that everyone gets a chance to stay fresh. The versatility of Gunnar, Westburg and Urias really gives Hyde a lot of options, both when he makes up the starting lineup and when he makes substitutions.  

You had Westburg almost exclusively 2B. The way it has played out is good for Frazier, bad for Urias. Urias did have some 1B starts but I believe not since Mountcastle's return. I personally like your original breakdown better now that I have seen Westburg at 2B.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You had Westburg almost exclusively 2B. The way it has played out is good for Frazier, bad for Urias. Urias did have some 1B starts but I believe not since Mountcastle's return. I personally like your original breakdown better now that I have seen Westburg at 2B.

I mostly wrote it that way because Urias is so good at 3B and I had the sense that Westburg’s best position was 2B.  Frazier has hit very well since Westburg’s arrival (,964 OPS), so I haven’t begrudged him the few extra games.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mostly wrote it that way because Urias is so good at 3B and I had the sense that Westburg’s best position was 2B.  Frazier has hit very well since Westburg’s arrival (,964 OPS), so I haven’t begrudged him the few extra games.

I think your intuition was correct. Westburg looks fine at 3B but Urias has the GG there and Westburg has looked very good at 2B, while Frazier's defense has been awful. I don't think Frazier's bat is worth it to lose Urias's bat and our optimal defense.