Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

8/9 225 for me.  I screwed up the Angels’ DR player question, using Kendrys Morales, who’s from Cuba.  I was actually surprised to see how few Dominican-born players the Angels have had (57), and how few were significant players (though I did pass over a couple of very obvious ones).   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 41

Reveal hidden contents

Ryne Sandberg, Billy Williams, Sammy Sosa

Melvin Mora, Cal Ripken Jr, Brady Anderson

Duke Snider, Nap Lajoie, Ty Cobb

I was on my way to a 9/9 today, was planning on using Shawon Dunston for my Cubs 30 SB guy (which I was about 80% sure was correct), but decided to get cute and try Lou Brock there.  Zap!  I was frustrated at that point so I just stuck Brock in the 30 SB/HOF box to finish up, which cost me 14 points but I’m sure I could have done way better in that box if I’d been in the mood to give it two minutes of thought (say, Hank Aaron).   My other 7 boxes only totaled 11 points, so I could have been looking at a very low score  today but ended up at 125.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was on my way to a 9/9 today, was planning on using Shawon Dunston for my Cubs 30 SB guy (which I was about 80% sure was correct), but decided to get cute and try Lou Brock there.  Zap!  I was frustrated at that point so I just stuck Brock in the 30 SB/HOF box to finish up, which cost me 14 points but I’m sure I could have done way better in that box if I’d been in the mood to give it two minutes of thought (say, Hank Aaron).   My other 7 boxes only totaled 11 points, so I could have been looking at a very low score  today but ended up at 125.  

Looks like the year he really ramped up his stolen bases is the year he got traded to the Cardinals. I forgot he played for the Cubs. 

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looks like the year he really ramped up his stolen bases is the year he got traded to the Cardinals. I forgot he played for the Cubs. 

I knew he had never been a star for the Cubs, but I figured he would have stolen 30 bases for them by accident.  That trade BTW was extraordinarily lopsided.  The three guys traded to Chicago produced -1.6 rWAR for the Cubs.  Brock was worth 41.7 as a Cardinal and another player traded with him, Paul Toth, was worth 2.2.  

• Upvote 1

9/9 144 

Kind off annoyed with the “born in Puerto Rico, born in the Dominican Republic” etc categories. It’s not a cultural anthropology quiz. Better start reading up on Dominican/Puerto Rican Orioles so I don’t draw a blank when that comes around. 

Bobby Bonilla, Cody Bellinger, Jason Heyward

Doug Drabek, Jeff Bagwell, Steve Finley

Roberto Clemente, Carlos Correa, Juan Gonzalez 

I had a real pisser today.  I was super proud of myself for knowing that Luis Matos was from Puerto Rico and knew that would get a super low score.  So I type in his name, quickly click when the name pops up, and then see that I’ve accidentally clicked on the wrong Luis Matos - there’s another one who debuted in 2023 and I clicked on him by mistake!   

Well, the “real” Luis Matos got 0.2% but I’d already blown my grid.  I wasn’t going to score that well anyway but I did have confident answers for 8 of the 9 boxes and my guess for LA/PIT (which I left empty) would have been correct, too.

I now hate the new, fake Luis Matos.  

Started the year with a 9/9 70.  I’m not going to miss any this year!

Dwight Evans, Wayne Garland, Brandon Snyder

Curt Schilling, Robin Roberts, Mickey Moniak

David Price, Earl Wilson, Justin Verlander

Garland, Snyder and Wilson were all below 1%.   

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Was rolling along, confident of a very low score, then guessed Jim Bunning for Phils pitcher with 20 wins.  That dirty dog won 20 with Detroit and 19, 3 separate times, with Philly.

I almost made that mistake, but recalled he had a bunch of 19’s.  Another guy I thought of but wasn’t sure about was Chris Short.  Turns out he did have one 20-win season.  Bet that scored well.  John Denny also came to mind, he won the NL Cy Young the year the O’s beat the Phillies.  But it turns out he only won 19 that year.  So, I was pretty happy with Robin Roberts.  

• Upvote 1

117 today. Halladay was the big point scorer. I thought the first round pick had to be made by the team. Harper is the high score for that square. I also thought ERod would be the high Det/Bos, so I stayed away from him. My Orioles/Red Sox was under 0.5. There are three to four guys that I thought would be pretty high in that square but were lower than Pearce. 

On 12/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, Frobby said:

I knew he had never been a star for the Cubs, but I figured he would have stolen 30 bases for them by accident.  That trade BTW was extraordinarily lopsided.  The three guys traded to Chicago produced -1.6 rWAR for the Cubs.  Brock was worth 41.7 as a Cardinal and another player traded with him, Paul Toth, was worth 2.2.  

Yep and the trade is well enough known that even though I know nothing about him and only know of him in context of that trade, I was able to use Ernie Brogiio on a ChC/SL square in the grid at some point.

9/9, 59 points, 8 Orioles used

Couldn't come up with a 1st round pick who played for the Tigers and was also an Oriole, so I went with Torkelson for 24 points as the first name i thought of.   Turns out there were some Orioles I could have used but didn't think of:  John Shelby, Bob Melvin, Gregg Olson, or Andrew Miller.

Spoiler

Dick Drago 0.2%, Mike Boddicker 2%, RIck Sutcliffe 0.06%

Jeff Stone 0.06%, Robin Roberts 12%, Kyle Gibson 0.08%

Fred Lynn 3%, Denny McLain 17%, Spencer Torkelson 24%