Coby Mayo is tearing it up in Bowie again tonight..

Roy Firestone

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.

Starting to see that on here in a few places.  We've got all these stud prospects and you can quickly see how there won't be room for them all.  And yet, people are petrified about the idea of trading any of them for fear they'll go on to do great things somewhere else.

While I'd like to keep Mayo, if he's the centerpiece for a stud pitcher, I don't mind.  

Would you consider Bailey from Minnesota or Abbot from Cincinnati to be stud pitchers?  Would you give up Mayo for either of those two?

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Would you consider Bailey from Minnesota or Abbot from Cincinnati to be stud pitchers?  Would you give up Mayo for either of those two?

Maybe for Abbott. Are you just asking that because they dominated us this week?

3 hours ago, joelala said:

Maybe for Abbott. Are you just asking that because they dominated us this week?

Yes, I ask that partly because they both dominated Baltimore this week.  And partly because:

Bailey Ober has a 2.70 ERA, a 158 ERA+, a WHIP under 1.00, and gives up less than 1 HR per 9 innings in 13 stats this year. 

Abbott only has 5 starts in his MLB career but has an ERA of 1.21, an ERA+ of 397, and his WHIP and HR/9 innings are also both under 1.  For all they hype Rodriguez for,  Abbott appears to be the pitcher we all hoped Rodriguez would be.

They both looked like guys with the ability to have long, successful careers. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.

Starting to see that on here in a few places.  We've got all these stud prospects and you can quickly see how there won't be room for them all.  And yet, people are petrified about the idea of trading any of them for fear they'll go on to do great things somewhere else.

While I'd like to keep Mayo, if he's the centerpiece for a stud pitcher, I don't mind.  

Good general point but there is still room to have an untouchables list. I'm at the point of giving Mayo a spot on it--especially when you factor in pitcher risk.

Edited by now
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Starting to see that on here in a few places.  We've got all these stud prospects and you can quickly see how there won't be room for them all. 

Here's what I'd like to see in two years:

C - Adley

1b - Mayo

2b - Westburg

ss - Holliday

3b - Henderson

DH / backup C - Basallo

RF - Kjerstad

CF - Cowser

LF - Hayes

SP - Bradish, Wells, GRod, FA/trade, FA/trade

Bench - Prieto, Ortiz, Norby, Fabian, Haskins, Beavers, Wagner (pick 2 or 3)

Move Mullins and Urias (and if they bring any value Vavra, Stowers, Mountcastle and Mateo) and one or two of Prieto / Norby / Ortiz and one to three of Fabian, Haskins, Beavers & Wagner for pitching.

This leaves a lot of cash for FA signings and (hopefully) extensions.

• Upvote 1

There's a whole half of a season, and hopefully a bit more, for Grayson and Means to show what they are at this point in their careers.

Its possible entering the offseason BAL will be in a nice spot expecting Wells, Bradish, Kremer, Means and Grayson to pitch the first five games of 2024.     You can make Kyle Gibson a nice appreciation video.

31 minutes ago, now said:

Good general point but there is still room to have an untouchables list. I'm at the point of giving Mayo a spot on it--especially when you factor in pitcher risk.

Ok, but that’s just the thing. Who else is on the untouchable list? Holliday, of course. Cowser?  Kjerstad?  Mayo? At some point it becomes less of an untouchable list and more of a list of guys you’re afraid to give up. 

22 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Here's what I'd like to see in two years:

C - Adley

1b - Mayo

2b - Westburg

ss - Holliday

3b - Henderson

DH / backup C - Basallo

RF - Kjerstad

CF - Cowser

LF - Hayes

SP - Bradish, Wells, GRod, FA/trade, FA/trade

Bench - Prieto, Ortiz, Norby, Fabian, Haskins, Beavers, Wagner (pick 2 or 3)

Move Mullins and Urias (and if they bring any value Vavra, Stowers, Mountcastle and Mateo) and one or two of Prieto / Norby / Ortiz and one to three of Fabian, Haskins, Beavers & Wagner for pitching.

This leaves a lot of cash for FA signings and (hopefully) extensions.

The O's are going to have to trade some very good prospects to get a TOR starter.  Look what Seattle gave up for Castillo.  We need to get starting pitching somehow because Wells and Bradish and pray for rain won't work.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, but that’s just the thing. Who else is on the untouchable list? Holliday, of course. Cowser?  Kjerstad?  Mayo? At some point it becomes less of an untouchable list and more of a list of guys you’re afraid to give up. 

Giving up the best prospects wasn't how Houston operated, and I don't expect it to be how Elias operates. They acquired both Verlander and Cole without giving up an elite prospect. Besides, the top tier guys have pretty clear future roles. There are easily full-time jobs for Cowser, Mayo, Kjerstad, and Holliday all on the same team. I'd much prefer to keep that future lineup intact and find pitching via the draft/free agency/less punishing trades.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's why this season was important for identifying a core group. It's still possible, and they may have made decisions on guys that I'd like to see in Baltimore...no real way of knowing until the deadline comes.

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's are going to have to trade some very good prospects to get a TOR starter.  Look what Seattle gave up for Castillo.  We need to get starting pitching somehow because Wells and Bradish and pray for rain won't work.

and it doesn't even rhyme.....

Found myself looking for pitchers with a rhyming name, and came across a good one (only in name), and he plays for Kentucky Wesleyan....love the name...Max Payne

https://kwcpanthers.com/sports/baseball/roster/max-payne/6268

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Abbot's FIP is 3.79 and his xFIP is like a run higher than that.

Would love to have him, but I'm not convinced he's TOR

.....any more than we are convinced the Coby Mayo will be a top tier hitter in the majors.  That's the risk, and what makes a trade....there are almost never any guarantees.