Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

There is a huge difference between not realizing how great of a player Ohtani is and suggesting that saying that giving up massive value in prospects for two months of his services is foolhardy.

While I doubt this and Ohtani is an improvement over any of our hitters, the fact is he would not be replacing the weakest hitters in our lineup.  When Adley isn't catching, Ohtani would be replacing Adley, not McCann.  He wouldn't be replacing our backup center-fielders or middle infielders.  They would still be taking turns in the lineup.  His 1.000 OPS would be replacing guys with .750-.800, not the .600 guys.  Improvement, yes, but not as dramatic as some may believe.  Additionally, his blister situation reduces his pitching value.  Perhaps not career-wise, but we're only talking about the next 2 months.  I think these factors have to be weighed seriously before offering up a handful of really good prospects to get the guy.  I think the proposals we are seeing would be terrible moves.  Offering value that is clearly better than the value of the comp pick the Angels would receive if Ohtani walks makes sense, but going crazy with an overkill offer doesn't, IMO.

Maybe I read the underlined that and bolded that you wrote wrong. But I took it to mean that you were acknowledging that Ohtani is an improvement but not that great of an improvement because of who's spot in the lineup that he would face while DHing.

My point was the impact from just his batting skills alone would greatly improve our odds for postseason success. So far he has been a 4.5 WAR offensive player alone.

I am not really in the camp of trading for Ohtani. But I thought that you were selling his greatness short.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

While I doubt this and Ohtani is an improvement over any of our hitters, the fact is he would not be replacing the weakest hitters in our lineup.  When Adley isn't catching, Ohtani would be replacing Adley, not McCann.  He wouldn't be replacing our backup center-fielders or middle infielders.  They would still be taking turns in the lineup.  His 1.000 OPS would be replacing guys with .750-.800, not the .600 guys.  Improvement, yes, but not as dramatic as some may believe.  Additionally, his blister situation reduces his pitching value.  Perhaps not career-wise, but we're only talking about the next 2 months.  I think these factors have to be weighed seriously before offering up a handful of really good prospects to get the guy.  I think the proposals we are seeing would be terrible moves.  Offering value that is clearly better than the value of the comp pick the Angels would receive if Ohtani walks makes sense, but going crazy with an overkill offer doesn't, IMO.

Maybe I read the underlined that and bolded that you wrote wrong. But I took it to mean that you were acknowledging that Ohtani is an improvement but not that great of an improvement because of who's spot in the lineup that he would face while DHing.

My point was the impact from just his batting skills alone would greatly improve our odds for postseason success. So far he has been a 4.5 WAR offensive player alone.

I am not really in the camp of trading for Ohtani. But I thought that you were selling his greatness short.

Sorry if I was somehow unclear.  My meaning is that Ohtani is clearly a great ballplayer, but it is not so dramatic of an improvement in the Oriole's expected results to be worth giving away as much as is being proposed for 2 months of his services.  I am unsure what your argument is, since you seem to agree.  If that is still somehow vague, please understand that I have no other way to say it and you are free to disagree.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Sorry if I was somehow unclear.  My meaning is that Ohtani is clearly a great ballplayer, but it is not so dramatic of an improvement in the Oriole's expected results to be worth giving away as much as is being proposed for 2 months of his services.  I am unsure what your argument is, since you seem to agree.  If that is still somehow vague, please understand that I have no other way to say it and you are free to disagree.

I think we mostly agree on the larger point - That depending on the cost that we would have to pay, the acquisition to acquire Ohtani may not be worth.

Where I may disagree with you is the amount of impact/improvement that Ohtani would provide. I think it would be massive. I just don't know if it would be worth it given the relative short period of time in which we would be the beneficiary of his services.

13 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Thinking more realistically about how Mike operates, I would bet Lance Lynn is a target along with Grandel as backup catcher.    Offerings would be Hudson Haskins and carter young?

Definitely think Lynn is a legit target, but I don’t think you upset the cart removing McCann.  For better or worse, he’s part of the catcher tandem this year.  That is one spot where it’s very hard to gauge chemistry with pitchers. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This whole “untouchable” concept is a bad one IMO.  Every single player in the org can be had for the right price.  And anyway, Kjerstad would be pretty far down in the pecking order of guys I’d hate to trade.   

Honestly he’s a little behind age wise due to the illness. But, he could end up being out next .300+ avg, .400 ish OBP, .900+ OPS guy. I think he could be better than the guys on the roster now. For me he is almost untouchable. My exception would be a controllable ACE. 

3 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Thinking more realistically about how Mike operates, I would bet Lance Lynn is a target along with Grandel as backup catcher.    Offerings would be Hudson Haskins and carter young?

Please no. That is such a marginal move. We have a legit shot at a World Series if we had a meaningful piece or two. Doesn't need to be Ohtani, but Lynn would be a downgrade. He's not good at this point in his career.

A bit of an update, since I know both guys have been talked about on here ad nauseam.  Jordan Montgomery is getting shelled today and Stroman is on the verge of not being on the trade market as the Cubs are getting close to playing themselves back into things.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

A bit of an update, since I know both guys have been talked about on here ad nauseam.  Jordan Montgomery is getting shelled today and Stroman is on the verge of not being on the trade market as the Cubs are getting close to playing themselves back into things.

To piggyback a little on this post, Blake Snell gave up seven walks in five innings a couple of days ago.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 24fps said:

To piggyback a little on this post, Blake Snell gave up seven walks in five innings a couple of days ago.

Well, if they're going to trade for a pitcher it should be a guy who never has a bad game. Otherwise, forget it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vab said:

Well, if they're going to trade for a pitcher it should be a guy who never has a bad game. Otherwise, forget it. 

He's also had 17 walks in his last 21 innings pitched, so he's trending the wrong direction at the moment.  Additionally he has a 13% BB% when the MLB average is 8.4% so he's probably not going to turn his command issues around anytime soon.

Tryptamine's post was simply meant as an update to pitchers that have been discussed as Orioles trade targets before the deadline.  My post as well.