Monday Moves (Can’t hold the Mayo and Bowie takes a Holliday)

Legend_Of_Joey

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Jackson Holliday will be the second youngest player in AA next to Jackson Chourio. 

To put it in perspective, I believe the only AA players born in 2003 or later are Holliday, Chourio, and Junior Caminero (Rays IF prospect who broke out this year). And I would argue it’s easier for international signees like Chourio/Caminero to advance at a younger age because they are in pro ball at a younger age than even prep bats.

• Upvote 2

I think early in Elias’ GM career here in BMore, he could have been accused of slow playing guys.

But that is clearly not a reasonable thing to say now.

And again, as I have talked about, the way these guys are just going to higher levels and showing no red flags and throwing up huge numbers is astounding. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think early in Elias’ GM career here in BMore, he could have been accused of slow playing guys.

And again, as I have talked about, the way these guys are just going to higher levels and showing no red flags and throwing up huge numbers is astounding. 

The "Elite Talent Pipeline" is coming into focus. And I like it. Seriously, it's a great point; there is no premium (position player) prospect right now that is disappointing. Jax already in AA and Mayo in AAA? Wow.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2023 at 7:31 PM, Sports Guy said:

Both Mayo and Holliday deserve the promotions, but I'm still shocked. IMO this moves their minors-to-majors timeline up 3-6 months (assuming they continue their progression), putting Mayo in the mix for a roster spot opening day 2024 with Holliday following in his footsteps by the ASB or thereabouts. 

In my mind I had CM hitting the big leagues maybe a year from now, and JH being lucky to get a September call up. But now all bets are off. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Both Mayo and Holliday deserve the promotions, but I'm still shocked. IMO this moves their minors-to-majors timeline up 3-6 months (assuming they continue their progression), putting Mayo in the mix for a roster spot opening day 2024 with Holliday following in his footsteps by the ASB or thereabouts. 

In my mind I had CM maybe hitting the big leagues maybe a year from now, and JH being lucky to get a September call up. But now all best are off. 

Almost sounds like Elias decided the time has come to open the tap a bit.

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

In my mind I had CM maybe hitting the big leagues maybe a year from now, and JH being lucky to get a September call up. But now all best are off. 

I don’t understand why people think Holliday would be a mid season call up. I don’t think there is any way Elias would end his rookie status without him starting the year on the team. That chance at an extra draft pick is too important, especially now that they aren’t drafting at the top. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly.  We need to give a lot of credit to the player development staff on the hitting side.  The jury is still out on the pitching side; some successes and some failures so far.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

Exactly.  We need to give a lot of credit to the player development staff on the hitting side.  The jury is still out on the pitching side; some successes and some failures so far.

Everyone can say that. Maybe the talent level hasn’t been there in some cases but they are developing pitching well, which is why their draft pick yesterday was an encouraging one imo.