Monday Moves (Can’t hold the Mayo and Bowie takes a Holliday)

Legend_Of_Joey

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Everyone can say that. Maybe the talent level hasn’t been there in some cases but they are developing pitching well, which is why their draft pick yesterday was an encouraging one imo.

Yes, all player development is a mixed bag but it's hard to argue with the fact that their development of hitters has been more successful than development of pitchers.  And yes, much of that can be attributed to more high draft picks dedicated to hitters.  But it's also hard to ignore the fact they haven't been successful yet with Hall and Rodriguez; two guys with elite talent.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Otter said:

Yes, all player development is a mixed bag but it's hard to argue with the fact that their development of hitters has been more successful than development of pitchers.  And yes, much of that can be attributed to more high draft picks dedicated to hitters.  But it's also hard to ignore the fact they haven't been successful yet with Hall and Rodriguez; two guys with elite talent.

What was Means before they got him? Bradish? Kremer came around. Cano. Bautista. Perez (last year). Wells.

We've had success with the pitchers, but I agree, the talent to work with just hasn't been as elite or as deep.

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Both Mayo and Holliday deserve the promotions, but I'm still shocked. IMO this moves their minors-to-majors timeline up 3-6 months (assuming they continue their progression), putting Mayo in the mix for a roster spot opening day 2024 with Holliday following in his footsteps by the ASB or thereabouts. 

In my mind I had CM maybe hitting the big leagues maybe a year from now, and JH being lucky to get a September call up. But now all best are off. 

Tim Kirkjian and Buster Olney were talking on the Baseball Tonight podcast today that they think Holliday should have a shot at getting called up the MLB this year if he continues to tear it up in Bowie. I'll believe it when I see it but it would be interesting firepower down the stretch.

I think what Holliday's progression through the system does is make Ortiz the most expendable trade bait. It could give Elias some real ammunition to make a move before the trade deadline. I know people on here love Ortiz, but to me Baltimore's truly in the "lift off" phase now. And guys like Hays, Mullins and Santander are not going to be moved this year. I think Ortiz is Elias' main trade bait.

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

I don’t understand why people think Holliday would be a mid season call up. I don’t think there is any way Elias would end his rookie status without him starting the year on the team. That chance at an extra draft pick is too important, especially now that they aren’t drafting at the top. 

Here's the tradeoff though.    What if Jackson Holliday isn't better than Jordan Westburg on OD 2024, but by June he's had his Gunnar/Mayo liftoff after another full year of our secret sauce.

Using him for 4 months not 1 might cut off your 2025 Rookie of Year bonus bid, but it might also affect the 2024 AL East race, and the first round bye for a Top 2 team.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Here's the tradeoff though.    What if Jackson Holliday isn't better than Jordan Westburg on OD 2024, but by June he's had his Gunnar/Mayo liftoff after another full year of our secret sauce.

Using him for 4 months not 1 might cut off your 2025 Rookie of Year bonus bid, but it might also affect the 2024 AL East race, and the first round bye for a Top 2 team.

If Holliday comes up in September then he will be eligible for the postseason and still retain his ROY eligibility for next year. 

Gunnar and Holliday could each earn us 1st rd picks if they win ROY. 

9 hours ago, sevastras said:

I don’t understand why people think Holliday would be a mid season call up. I don’t think there is any way Elias would end his rookie status without him starting the year on the team. That chance at an extra draft pick is too important, especially now that they aren’t drafting at the top. 

You could be absolutely correct. But it appears that a shift in focus or at least in org priorities is on the horizon, if not already here.

Winning and cultivating the best big league roster is becoming at least as important or even most important in org goals. It made sense when the Major League team wasn’t there yet to prioritize the future first and foremost. Now maybe that is not so?

It is probable that Holliday can probably hit Big League pitching right now. The issue has been allowing his body to mature a bit/develop more strength AND getting more defensive reps at SS.

But this season has revealed that Gunnar can man SS quite capably so it may not even be necessary to use Holliday there now? It may be that he can play 2B for the time being. Imagine how much better our offense would be if we had Holliday playing 2B next year?

If Mayo and Holliday are able/allowed to start next season with the big club, it’s possible that we could have a top 3 offense in the Majors. On par maybe even with the Braves/Texas/Rays.

That gives us a lineup of 9 capable hitters with very good OBP and very good plate discipline. That’s an elite offense even in playoffs.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Holliday comes up in September then he will be eligible for the postseason and still retain his ROY eligibility for next year. 

Gunnar and Holliday could each earn us 1st rd picks if they win ROY. 

Sure, and that would be bananas fun if he lights the high minors up these next couple months, but I think Kjerstad/Mayo are the 2024 intendeds, and Holliday could be for 2025.

The dream scenario is 2024 runs so good, they don't need him at all save for the 129 at-bats.

5 hours ago, dzorange said:

Tim Kirkjian and Buster Olney were talking on the Baseball Tonight podcast today that they think Holliday should have a shot at getting called up the MLB this year if he continues to tear it up in Bowie. I'll believe it when I see it but it would be interesting firepower down the stretch.

I’ll worry about this if Holliday has a 1.000 OPS after 4 weeks at Bowie.  

• Haha 1

I said this in the main 2023 Holliday thread, but I kind of saw his promotion to Bowie coming.  He’d already said after his early successes at ABD that he was looking forward to the next challenge.  Coupled with the fact that his stated goal for the season was to reach AA, I think the FO felt the time was right, obviously. He was stagnating in ABD (I used the term “bored” and a couple of posters scoffed at me). What ever you want to call it, it was time.

He’s up for the move. There may be a week or two of adjusting, but I expect him to exceed expectations in AA too.  Hasn’t even been a full year since we’ve drafted him and we should all be ecstatic he’s pushed his way to AA already. It’s Machado-esque. 

Putting my Orioles colored glasses down, I think he’d very much be in the running for a September call-up, if he continues to prove he can handle it.  It’s hard to doubt this kid, but he’ll have to really earn the next bump up. 

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

I would bet a bushel of crabs Holliday is on the opening day roster next year, barring being on the IL. 

I think Holliday will have to tidy up his fielding skills first. Too many batted balls seem to walk on by him. The Futures All Star game highlighted that. But maybe as he grows up in the next year, that will be solved. I think it's mostly a product of his physical youth and inexperience.

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

I would bet a bushel of crabs Holliday is on the opening day roster next year, barring being on the IL. 

That would probably mean Mayo and Kjerstad are also on the opening day roster (or traded), which would be insane. Can you imagine an ODL looking something like this:

1. Mullins CF

2. Adley C

3. Henderson SS

4. Santander DH

5. Kjerstad RF

6. Mayo 1B

7. Cowser LF

8. Westburg 3B

9. Holliday 2B