2023 14th Round Pick (#421): Michael Forret - RHP - (J1) State College of Florida Manatee (FL)

On 7/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, MurphDogg said:

With his age and pedigree I highly doubt he is going to sign for $150K. Could be an overslot or a draft and follow if he stays in JuCo.

He pitched 2 games on the Cape this year.

He is a local guy here in North Carolina and from reports should be a guy that signs.    He was an ECU commit that changed and decided to go Juco route last minute that way he could get drafted this year and start his professional career so I would think he is looking to sign.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He is a local guy here in North Carolina and from reports should be a guy that signs.    He was an ECU commit that changed and decided to go Juco route last minute that way he could get drafted this year and start his professional career so I would think he is looking to sign.  

I was going to post this nugget before I saw you posted it.  ECU fans were quite disappointed when he decided to go JUCO. 

Draft rule changes with new CBA (mlb.com)

The draft-and-follow rule returns, allowing clubs that select players who opt to attend junior college to sign them between the end of their juco season and the beginning of the next year's Draft. Any bonus amount over $225,000 will count toward teams' bonus pools. A similar rule existed before being eliminated with the 2007-11 CBA.

If Forret doesn't sign in 2023, does the draft and follow rules apply to him if he goes to a non-JuCo school in the 2023-24 school year?

Seems like the $225,000 bonus amount would go against the 2023 pool.  Could he make an extra $75k if he waits a few months (assuming the rest of the O's pool in line still)?

Per Baseball America from the Draft Combine

Bullpen Induced Vertical Break

Zach Thornton, LHP, Grand Canyon — 21.6

Cameron Flukey, RHP, Egg Harbor Township (N.J.) HS — 21.6

Michael Forret, RHP, State JC of Florida — 20.3

Brayden Sharp, LHP, The Woodlands (Texas) HS — 19.4

Jaden Woods, LHP, Georgia — 18.9

• 7 months later...