Orioles most liked team?

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Likely Cubs fans all voting for the Cardinals as the most hated team.

Maybe Cubs fans are the reason the White Sox ranked so high (low) too.  Cubs and White Sox and their fans do not like each other.  I doubt their poor ranking is because of the 1919 World Series.

I was surprised the Mets are so hated -- but then a lot of Yankees fans probably dislike the Mets more than ever these days now that the Mets are often outspending the Yankees, stealing their thunder and even occasionally just better than the Yanks.  I'm sure Braves and Phillies fans hate the Mets more than ever too -- even though the Mets are kind of a mess this year.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, they are a feel good story.  They make the playoffs for a few years in a row and the number will drop.

I also notice a lot of the top teams have exciting, young players on them.  I don't think that's a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Another thing.  The Orioles have tended to more likable players than a lot of other teams -- like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken -- and now Adley.  And the O's were not at the center of the PED scandals the way other teams were.  

Also fans of the Yankees and Red Sox don't see the O's as rivals like they used to in the good old days.  For years they've seen the O's as door mats -- except briefly when Showalter was here.  But even then we didn't get that far in the playoffs.  It's not like the Cubs, Giants, Cardinals, or Red Sox.  I live in California, and Dodger fans hate the Giants more than ever after winning 3 World Series in 5 years.  How dare they!  Cubs fans hate the Cardinals for obvious reasons but so do a lot of Braves fans and lots of others who think the Cardinals always got the close calls.  Cardinals and White Sox fans hate the Cubs.  And we know about the Red Sox.  Frankly, I'm a little bit surprised the Braves ranked so high.

19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Maybe Cubs fans are the reason the White Sox ranked so high (low) too.  Cubs and White Sox and their fans do not like each other.  I doubt their poor ranking is because of the 1919 World Series.

I was surprised the Mets are so hated -- but then a lot of Yankees fans probably dislike the Mets more than ever these days now that the Mets are often outspending the Yankees, stealing their thunder and even occasionally just better than the Yanks.  I'm sure Braves and Phillies fans hate the Mets more than ever too -- even though the Mets are kind of a mess this year.

I live just south of Philly. Mets are their most hated baseball team. I went to an Os vs Phils game in Philly in 2009 and was being heckled with my Miguel Tejada jersey. I turned and said, “we haven’t done anything to each other since the 1983 World Series, but we can all agree the Mets suck.” They went wild and bought me beers. So I’m willing to bet the entire state of Pennsylvania east of Pittsburgh voted for the Mets.

It's true all across sports. People like a good underdog, but they envy a dynasty. People hated Tom Brady and the Patriots for the same reasons they now hate the Houston Astros and the New York Yankees.

As for why the Mets are the most hated, it's because of blowing a bunch of money on all the top free agents that no one else can afford.

Envy can lead to hate. At the same time, an exciting underdog and win over some fans. Anecdote: I didn't have much hope in the 90s of the Orioles winning the World Series, so instead I found myself cheering for the Atlanta Braves vs the Pittsburgh Pirates in the National League Championship Series. The Braves might have been considered underdogs that early in the 90s, but they were fun to cheer for and they became my default team to cheer for in the playoffs from that point from the National League all the years Orioles weren't in it.

55 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The Red Sox are way more obscure than their fan base would allow you to believe.  

I dunno.  There are a ton of Red Sox fans here on the West Coast -- or at least there were when it was especially trendy to be a fan when they were going for the first WS title in 86 years (or however long it was).  Maybe not so much anymore.  I don't see as many Red Sox hats as I used to.  

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Another thing.  The Orioles have tended to more likable players than a lot of other teams -- like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken -- and now Adley.  And the O's were not at the center of the PED scandals the way other teams were.  

Also fans of the Yankees and Red Sox don't see the O's as rivals like they used to in the good old days.  For years they've seen the O's as door mats -- except briefly when Showalter was here.  But even then we didn't get that far in the playoffs.  It's not like the Cubs, Giants, Cardinals, or Red Sox.  I live in California, and Dodger fans hate the Giants more than ever after winning 3 World Series in 5 years.  How dare they!  Cubs fans hate the Cardinals for obvious reasons but so do a lot of Braves fans and lots of others who think the Cardinals always got the close calls.  Cardinals and White Sox fans hate the Cubs.  And we know about the Red Sox.  Frankly, I'm a little bit surprised the Braves ranked so high.

I don't think Eddie was all that likeable at a National level.

The O's were also dead in the heart of the PED scandal.  They just managed to lose despite juicing.

Remember Grimsley?  The Congressional finger wag?  Gibbons and Roberts?

7 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

I live just south of Philly. Mets are their most hated baseball team. I went to an Os vs Phils game in Philly in 2009 and was being heckled with my Miguel Tejada jersey. I turned and said, “we haven’t done anything to each other since the 1983 World Series, but we can all agree the Mets suck.” They went wild and bought me beers. So I’m willing to bet the entire state of Pennsylvania east of Pittsburgh voted for the Mets.

Good story.  And probably safer than retorting that the O's made quick work of the Phillies in the 1983 World Series.  I think the most scared I've ever been was going to a Redskins/Eagles game at the old Vet stadium when I was 12 years old in the early 80s.  I didn't dare cheer for the Redskins at that game (not a Skins fan anymore but back then I sure was).  But those were different times.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Eddie was all that likeable at a National level.

The O's were also dead in the heart of the PED scandal.  They just managed to lose despite juicing.

Remember Grimsley?  The Congressional finger wag?  Gibbons and Roberts?

True, but I think nobody other than O's fans remember Grimsley and Gibbons.  Like you suggest, they probably don't remember because they weren't that good and the O's were not good.  And I think people tended to believe Roberts when he said he tried it once and then never did it again -- though maybe I'm wrong.  

The former Oriole cheater everyone remembers is Rafael Palmeiro, but he was a Texas Ranger as much an Oriole.  

6 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Good story.  And probably safer than retorting that the O's made quick work of the Phillies in the 1983 World Series.  I think the most scared I've ever been was going to a Redskins/Eagles game at the old Vet stadium when I was 12 years old in the early 80s.  I didn't dare cheer for the Redskins at that game (not a Skins fan anymore but back then I sure was).  But those were different times.

I was at Fed Ex field for a Redskins vs Eagles Monday Night Football game about 20 years ago, and alot of Eagles fans came down packed in busses and a Winnebago. They all gathered around the area leading through the parking lot towards the stadium. Some Eagles fans were on top of the Winnebago with a bullhorn, taunting Redskins fans, and one of them spit on some Redskins fans passing by below them.

I was walking to the game with my group of friends and I had a Darrell Green jersey on and they all had some gear to support the Redskins. Some Eagles fans from the crowd threw a full sized drink with a Styrofoam cup that hit me in the back, and there was almost a brawl between our entourage and the large crowd of Eagles fans. The Eagles fan crowd was also chanting "A$$hole" at groups of Redskins fans.

It was then that I had written off Philadelphia sports fans as being even worst than Yankees fans.

7 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

True, but I think nobody other than O's fans remember Grimsley and Gibbons.  Like you suggest, they probably don't remember because they weren't that good and the O's were not good.  And I think people tended to believe Roberts when he said he tried it once and then never did it again -- though maybe I'm wrong.  

The former Oriole cheater everyone remembers is Rafael Palmeiro, but he was a Texas Ranger as much an Oriole.  

Orioles were so bad during 1998 to 2011 they couldn't even get results with their PED's taking players.

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It was then that I had written off Philadelphia sports fans as being even worst than Yankees fans.

Philadelphia sports fans are the worst from fanbases I've witnessed up close. I have a friend on went to Penn St and the students there were primarily Steelers, Eagles or Redskins fans.

He told me the Eagles fans at Penn St went nuts watching their team's games unlike anything he's ever seen.

40 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was at Fed Ex field for a Redskins vs Eagles Monday Night Football game about 20 years ago, and alot of Eagles fans came down packed in busses and a Winnebago. They all gathered around the area leading through the parking lot towards the stadium. Some Eagles fans were on top of the Winnebago with a bullhorn, taunting Redskins fans, and one of them spit on some Redskins fans passing by below them.

I was walking to the game with my group of friends and I had a Darrell Green jersey on and they all had some gear to support the Redskins. Some Eagles fans from the crowd threw a full sized drink with a Styrofoam cup that hit me in the back, and there was almost a brawl between our entourage and the large crowd of Eagles fans. The Eagles fan crowd was also chanting "A$$hole" at groups of Redskins fans.

Wow, even 20 years ago they were still scumbags -- and on the road?  I think the Eagles fans especially are -- or at least were -- a different kind of subhuman.  Maybe the old school Fliers fans too.  I used to pity them for having to be fans of teams from Philly.  Constant losing and getting their asses kicked by every other team every single year made them animals.  But I think Philly fans have maybe mellowed a bit -- I hope.  My family lived in the Philly suburbs when I was very little.  Thank God they moved to Maryland :)

I live in the LA area, and it used to be that for a long time the only MLB stadium that was still considered kind of dangerous was Dodger Stadium.  You'd get crap thrown at you for wearing the hat of an AL team that wasn't even in town and rarely ever was.  That all changed when that one Giants fan was nearly killed in the stadium parking lot.  After that the LAPD was everywhere and cleaned all the gangstas and criminals out at the drop of a hat.  It's a much better environment now -- though I haven't been to a game there since before the pandemic.

But I remember as a kid back in the late 70s and early 80s when Yankees came to Memorial Stadium there was a fight somewhere in the stands nearly every game -- usually several fights.  I don't think anybody got seriously hurt but O's fans were ready to throw down with visiting Yankees fans in those days.  We just shrugged and accepted it as normal back then.  The good old days!

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Why yes... I WILL buy that the Yankees are more disliked than the Astros.  But I don't understand why the Cardinals are more disliked than the Red Sox.

My assumption is that some people took the poll as “how do you feel about this team RIGHT NOW,” which led fans of teams who aren’t playing well (like the Cardinals) to downvote their own club without really realizing what the poll was trying to achieve.

I grew up in PA about 75 minutes outside of Philadelphia. As a teenager I went to quite a few games at Veterans Stadium with my Phillies-loving friends, and it really didn't take many games for me to start saying that Phillies fans were just the worst. I didn't hate the team -- we won the World Series, after all -- and they had some exciting players, but man oh man, their fans were awful... and they loved their Zuba pants. They would turn on their own in a heartbeat, like Yankees fans (but without the success). A couple months into 1985, Mike Schmidt was struggling and fans started robustly booing him every at-bat or missed play. He was in his 14th year with the club and the greatest player the team has ever seen, mind you -- but they let him have it for struggling in April and May.  Of course he finished the season strong and thus all was forgiven, but that was what sealed the deal for me. And by all accounts, they never got better. 

• Upvote 1