Cowser Vs Kjerstad

Sports Guy

Who would you keep?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you had your choice, which player would you prefer to keep?

3 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

Yea, cuz nobody would be stupid enough to trade a guy like prime Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez. Holliday with either Cowser/Kjerstad? Yep, making that trade any day and twice on Sunday. 

Just this?? 

No attempt to answer my questions?

9 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

The point is any prospect is available for a pure #1 starter with years of control. Anybody.

Do you have any historical examples of #1 prospects being moved plus 2 more top 35ish guys? What starter are you talking about in today's game? You mentioned Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez. I'm sure that you are aware that Randy Johnson was traded twice and once when he was aged 25. Pedro Martinez was traded at age 21.

I'm just trying to understand what you are saying. Because right now it doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. I can't find the type of trade that you are suggesting that the Orioles make involving 3 top 35ish prospects including number 1 and a borderline top 10. Please help me make it make sense.

55 minutes ago, banks703 said:

In the system right now, I think Gunnar has the best chance to do it. Ohtani is the guy who probably has the best chance right now in all of baseball. 

When Gunnar grows into his man strength around 25, look out. 

Right now I envision Kjerstad having a Justin Morneau-ish career. Had it not been for the mycharditis, he may be the guy currently occupying that platoon of 1B/OF/DH that Ant has for them this year. So far this year he's seen 20 games 1B, 18 at DH and 38 in the outfield. I can see him putting together a string of five or six really strong years as did Morneau but I think ultimately Cowser is the better/more valuable player long-term. 

Pre-concussion, MVP-caliber Morneau would be a great outcome for Kjerstad. Even better, in that Kjerstad can play RF, where Morneau was limited to 1B.

• Upvote 2

Kjerstad had a medical condition that can’t be cured and has a chance to come back without any reason. That doesn’t mean that it will, but it means that there is a greater chance than an average player that at any moment his entire baseball career could be over. Im sticking with Cowser I think. 

Note: I don’t necessarily believe that is going to happen. Just saying, Cowser doesn’t have a heart condition and I like that about him. 

• Upvote 1

To Rob's point about the Mariners, how would you do it if they did same thing to us and asked us to pick Gilbert or Kirby?

I would not move either of these guys for Miller or Woo, and imagine those are the quartet they are dangling.

It will encumber Dave Cameron and Ichiro Suzuki's Ohtani sales pitch if they enter the offseason with Castillo/Gilbert/Kirby/Miller/Woo.

I picked Kjerstad, because I think his power will be a perfect fit for OPACY.   I see 40-homer seasons in his future and I think his defensive skills are also a good fit for playing RF in OPACY (where range isn't as important in some parks).  

But it's not an easy choice, because I'm confident that Cowser will eventually figure it out and be a high-average, high-OBP player with excellent corner OF defense, lots of doubles and 15-20 homers a year.   (And I'm the guy who started the thread about how bad Cowser has looked so far.)

Agree with SG that neither should be traded unless it's for a high-quality, controllable starter.  

SG, would you trade either straight up for someone like Pablo Lopez, or would you need more?  

Cowser's slow offensive start in the majors isn't playing too much into my vote, but his CF defense is. It's still early, but I'm not confident he'll stick in CF or especially be the CF of the future to follow Mullins. Without a major positional advantage, I prefer the upside of Kjerstad's power.