Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

10 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I hear what you and @Malike are saying but based on what some of these rental pitchers have been traded for it would be very disappointing if we do not make a similar move to improve our chances this season.  We are going to be in first place in the AL East in August and we have a clear need for another starter.  Not even saying a TOR starter, like just a guy who can go out and have a chance to have a quality start.  Wells has already been demoted and most likely will be in the pen when he returns.  The spot in the rotation is already open, the move just needs to be made. 

Maybe I'm forgetting things in my middle ages, but I don't recall thinking "Wow" for most of the deals.  But the Montgomery deal was doable IMO.  He would help our rotation, but even he isn't a TOR type.  I do wonder if we had a legit offer on the table (not a low-ball)... 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Then go get someone good. Civale will probably be fine and maybe they think they can get more Ks and swing and miss out of him but the pitcher he is now is nothing special and doesn’t really move the needle.

They are in a similar position as us, they need innings but still.

EdRod and Candeliero are perfect fits for our ballpark and the playoffs. A lefty starter plays up because of the wall. As does adding another SH bat to the lineup. 

Game One

SP - Ed Rod vs RHP at OPACY

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santa S RF

5. O’Hearn L 1B

6. Candeliero S 3B

7. Hays R LF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Hicks S DH

That’s a nasty lineup with only one RH hitter. Only Gerrit Cole would be more than a -120 favorite against us in that scenario. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

EdRod and Candeliero are perfect fits for our ballpark and the playoffs. A lefty starter plays up because of the wall. As does adding another SH bat to the lineup. 

Game One

SP - Ed Rod vs RHP at OPACY

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santa S RF

5. O’Hearn L 1B

6. Candeliero S 3B

7. Hays R LF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Hicks S DH

That’s a nasty lineup with only one RH hitter. Only Gerrit Cole would be more than a -120 favorite against us in that scenario. 

I don’t think Gerritt Cole will be pitching in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Understand the Angelos part, but would you part with only Hudson Haskin if it meant you could get Verlander for 1.5-2.5 years?  Knowing he wouldn't sign here as a FA

Verlander has to approve any location he is traded to because he has a no trade clause. So if wouldn't sign somewhere, then he wouldn't  be traded there either. 

That said, we don't know what teams and locations would be acceptable to Justin and Kate and their family to locate to for the season in an effort to cement his legacy and potentially retire a champion after winning the World Series again.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Most of these guys are all the same.  Minor differences here and there and very little chance of really moving the needle. You don’t give up a lot for that.

Which is why they're probably hesitating. They know they need at least one SP, so why overcommit resources when whoever you end up with on Tuesday is not that much different than who was overpaid for on Monday.

I'd think there is a good match with the Mariners but likely not until the off-season. They need hitters and we need pitchers. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if we added some depth in a likely overpay for a middling starter, but I'd rather they leverage controllable assets (hitters) for controllable assets (pitchers) and you rarely see this done in the regular season.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I'd think there is a good match with the Mariners but likely not until the off-season. They need hitters and we need pitchers. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if we added some depth in a likely overpay for a middling starter, but I'd rather they leverage controllable assets (hitters) for controllable assets (pitchers) and you rarely see this done in the regular season.

I tend to agree but I wouldn’t discount the possibility.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I tend to agree but I wouldn’t discount the possibility.

The only scenario I see this playing out in the next 25 hours is if Seattle believes they are not a playoff team being 5.5 back. If they (foolishly) think they're going to make a run and hold their chips, they are probably relying on the rotation to keep them in games and don't want to lose some depth there and wait on hitters to develop at the big league level.

Just now, Malike said:

The only scenario I see this playing out in the next 25 hours is if Seattle believes they are not a playoff team being 5.5 back. If they (foolishly) think they're going to make a run and hold their chips, they are probably relying on the rotation to keep them in games and don't want to lose some depth there and wait on hitters to develop at the big league level.

I don’t think they have to believe they are in or out of it to trade Woo or Miller for Cowser(for example).