-Horrible Pitcher

-"eats innings"

-name unexpected and out of no where

-would piss everyone off

-would cost a bag of balls to get him

I have been predicting Rich Hill but I may change it to Lyles 

Warranted cynicism. 

I try to be a little more optimistic. 

My argument against this theory is that we have such an excess of depth in the minors, not using it to acquire impact players to help the major league team, makes little sense. 

I woke up, checked the news, and now I'm getting the sense that executives around the league is out of their minds.

The Padres who are still far behind a bunch of teams in the wildcard race, have revealed themselves to be buyers instead of sellers. Makes no sense other than being desperate.

Also, MLB reports that the Dodgers are discouraged about Verlander. They're puting their focus on Eduardo Rodriguez now. 

The Reds have decided the prices are too high and seems to have folded.

It sounds like the market is way too expensive. Based on that, I would not be surprised if we withdraw from the bidding frenzy and just did a more small time deal in the style of the Fujinami for Easton Lucas trade. 

I really hope we are trying to get a relief pitcher like Brooks Raley or Brent Suter. I would love to get the Pirates closer but he's probably way too expensive for a relief pitcher.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not saying this is not true. But what prospect reservoir are they trading from? If it is true that the Mets want prospects, how can HOU be ahead of the O's and Dodgers, the best 2 farm systems in the game?

I am with ya, see my next post, the Astros even said a few days ago they are not in the SP market.  Someone paid for that tweet.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not saying this is not true. But what prospect reservoir are they trading from? If it is true that the Mets want prospects, how can HOU be ahead of the O's and Dodgers, the best 2 farm systems in the game?

Verlander's no trade clause.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It's not who has the best farm, it's which team is willing to give up the best prospects.

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

I know all the talk is the great relationship between Verlander and the Astros, but I wonder if that relationship didn't take a hit when the Astros didn't pony up the cash to resign him?

That's a good question. Something alot of people probably didn't even think about. It's difficult to say for sure. But it is a business and Verlander is a pro so I wouldn't put too much stock into that idea.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree that the Astros don't have any prospects that are worth Verlander by themselves. But the Mets aren't typical sellers. They might plan to break the bank again this offseason and be relevant next year. So perhaps they're fine with a guy who is already a regular in the big leagues and under team control for a few years. I don't know the contract situations on Houston and don't care to look, but just a thought.

That or Verlander is very vocal about wanting to go there and the Mets just want to recover something. That one would surprise me given that the Mets don't have to do anything with Verlander and could benefit from him on the team next year.

15 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Rentals are priced accordingly. All else equal, you'll have to give up much more prospect capital for a player with team control remaining.

If you think he's too stingy to give up good prospects for a rental, then why would you expect him to pay the premium for players with years of control?

Really …. 

Mets … Verlander for a couple prospects not in your top 10.

Mets for Verlander with Mets paying his salary ….We will pay the $50 million but we want Holiday

You get an extra year of Verlander but his numbers suggest it might not be worth it.

Its stupid to give top 100 prospects for a 2 month rental 

Edited by Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So the Mets want Verlander gone that bad that they are willing to receive much less back in a trade just to accommodate his destination wish?

This seems hard to believe.

Perhaps between the Astros and the Dodgers it's hard to believe, but is it hard to believe that Verlander would exercise his no trade clause with the likes of Baltimore and not with Houston?

Verlander absolutely can push for where he wants to go.