Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

20 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

No matter how hot she is someone somewhere is tired of her.  

I saw that once on a bathroom wall in a dive bar about 20 years ago. It was a bit more graphic, but it still makes me giggle sometimes. 

Btw,  (you can look it up), I was the guy who wrote the original "I was in Whiskeytown and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" graffiti. I wrote it on the wall at the Continental Club in Austin TX after I played a gig there. 

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

St. Louis has as bad of a reputation as Baltimore and it's in the middle of nowhere. If the Cardinals were at their usual level of success, do you think he would veto a trade there?

I think organizational reputation has more to do with it. He could believe the O's haven't proven they're willing to spend or that they have the infrastructure to go all the way. That's going to be a bigger hurdle to attracting free agents than the area imo.

There's truth there too.

I pointed that out from the get go.  The problem is Baltimore AND Angelos.

St. Louis is another dump.  An absolute dysfunctional mess.

But the Cardinals being the Cardinals people will go play there.

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Canha to the Brewers,  Candelario to the Cubs

Reds nothing but that tweet that after TBR's Civale win they are the ones hottest after SP according to the Rosenthal tweet.

MLB crawl now has the nothing burger SEA has dumped AJ Pollock on to the Giants.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I grew up in the DC suburbs of MD, about equidistant between DC and Baltimore.  I currently live in Texas, and have been to Houston many times.

Houston is awful, especially in the summer.

I personally do not identify as a Baltimorean or a Marylander.  My family has been in Texas since its Independence, and I only grew up outside of DC because my family has a long tradition of being in the military.

But I am very familiar with Baltimore and MD.  And I know it offends some people here, or some people take it personal, but Baltimore has the single worst reputation for an urban area in the entire country.  That isn't just because of the "media" or The Wire.

It's because Baltimore is uniquely dysfunctional on a multitude of levels.

Is Baltimore going to find a mayor who can serve a full term without being jailed for corruption?

Baltimore was in the National News two days ago.  Some "squeegee" kid shot a dude six times in the back.  He was found guilty of manslaughter, and a jury member apologized to him for that.  He'll be out on the streets in a couple of years, no doubt free to murder again.

I'm glad that many of you are happy with your lives there.  I am glad that you have found such financial success that you have good homes in good neighborhoods.  Congratulations and I'm pleased for you.

That doesn't change the fact that Baltimore has a reputation for crime, violence, and corruption.  Rightfully so.

Well all I can tell you from being born here, growing up and coming back to the area as an adult and choosing to raise my family here, is that you may be uninformed.

The fact that you speak about the mayor really shows me how out of touch with this metropolitan. Whoever the mayor of Baltimore is has literally less than zero impact on my live, like it would the Verlanders.

The poor reputation fed by infotainment doesn’t seem to influence the other sports team in town and their ability to attract desirable players/FAs. And I know this personally because there’s more than a few who live in my community.

But I think I have taken this conversation as far as I can. And apologize to all for taking it off track… Back to the trade speculations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

None of these moves really matter.

I mean, maybe these guys can get hot at the right time or represent a 1 or so win upgrade but overall, all of these guys being traded are very meh.

1 win means a whole hell of a lot in a 7 game series.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I grew up in the DC suburbs of MD, about equidistant between DC and Baltimore.  I currently live in Texas, and have been to Houston many times.

Houston is awful, especially in the summer.

I personally do not identify as a Baltimorean or a Marylander.  My family has been in Texas since its Independence, and I only grew up outside of DC because my family has a long tradition of being in the military.

But I am very familiar with Baltimore and MD.  And I know it offends some people here, or some people take it personal, but Baltimore has the single worst reputation for an urban area in the entire country.  That isn't just because of the "media" or The Wire.

It's because Baltimore is uniquely dysfunctional on a multitude of levels.

Is Baltimore going to find a mayor who can serve a full term without being jailed for corruption?

Baltimore was in the National News two days ago.  Some "squeegee" kid shot a dude six times in the back.  He was found guilty of manslaughter, and a jury member apologized to him for that.  He'll be out on the streets in a couple of years, no doubt free to murder again.

I'm glad that many of you are happy with your lives there.  I am glad that you have found such financial success that you have good homes in good neighborhoods.  Congratulations and I'm pleased for you.

That doesn't change the fact that Baltimore has a reputation for crime, violence, and corruption.  Rightfully so.

You're kind of painting a caricature of Baltimore here though.  Baltimore has a lot of old money despite its bad rep in the inner city.  Why do you think a triple crown leg is here?  And its healthcare industry is pretty much second to none.  It's not like a Houston or an LA, where the city proper is a large chunk of the metro area.  Baltimore is like 80 square miles in a metro area thats over 2500 square miles big.  If Verlander comes to Baltimore he's almost certainly either getting a place in one of the nice parts of town like Roland Park or very close to the stadium, or he's gonna chill with Ray Lewis out in Hunt Valley.

Besides, you can point out bad parts of every city.  Dodger Stadium has 10 acre homeless encampment like a mile away that only recently got cleared out, and the homeless population in LA is equal to 20% of Baltimore's entire population.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

There's truth there too.

I pointed that out from the get go.  The problem is Baltimore AND Angelos.

St. Louis is another dump.  An absolute dysfunctional mess.

But the Cardinals being the Cardinals people will go play there.

We can agree on the owners.

No one is going to pound the table asking to go to Baltimore the way Dame Lillard is with Miami, but I think if you build an organizational culture/infrastructure/tradition, you can convince a celebrity-type athlete to come every once in awhile. It will take sustained success and a model of treating players the right way like the Ravens have done. Being in first place of the AL East a few weeks after the ASB hasn't made this team a destination.