I've never been more excited to be an Orioles fan

Greg Pappas

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Same but, like you, ownership will always keep me more level headed about the future than I should be. 

If we had a real commitment from ownership, a 5-10 year run is very possible. Without it, we need more luck on our side than I would prefer to have to rely on.

I have a buddy whos front office finance for a non-MLB pro franchise and he's told me that he's hearing rumors that there is a strong push being made by an extremely well financed group to buy the Orioles from the Angelos family. The same excitement we have for the O's may be attracting deep pockets who want to own the team during this championship window.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I have a buddy whos front office finance for a non-MLB pro franchise and he's told me that he's hearing rumors that there is a strong push being made by an extremely well financed group to buy the Orioles from the Angelos family. The same excitement we have for the O's may be attracting deep pockets who want to own the team during this championship window.

homer-simpson-please-please.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

homer-simpson-please-please.gif

My buddy made a good point that the O's may never be more valuable than right after Holliday debuts next year. The hype over having 3 back to back to back #1 prospects all under team control for half a decade might drive team value over $2B. Perfect time to sell.

9 minutes ago, bluedog said:

My buddy made a good point that the O's may never be more valuable than right after Holliday debuts next year. The hype over having 3 back to back to back #1 prospects all under team control for half a decade might drive team value over $2B. Perfect time to sell.

MLB teams get sold based primarily on how prospective buyers feel about the  long-term future of the franchise and about what they want to pay and can pay to own an MLB team. Even if the purchase price were driven up by the prospect of having a few really good players under team control for four or five years, no time while Peter Angelos is alive is a desireable time to sell an asset like this because the sale would trigger a capital gain of around $1.5 billion. (The amount of that capital gain would depend on how much of the team Peter owns. We don't know that, but John Angelos says he'll be providing the information to the media, I think next week.)

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

MLB teams get sold based primarily on how prospective buyers feel about the  long-term future of the franchise and about what they want to pay and can pay to own an MLB team. Even if the purchase price were driven up by the prospect of having a few really good players under team control for four or five years, no time while Peter Angelos is alive is a desireable time to sell an asset like this because the sale would trigger a capital gain of around $1.5 billion. (The amount of that capital gain would depend on how much of the team Peter owns. We don't know that, but John Angelos says he'll be providing the information to the media, I think next week.)

Serious question - why would a sale after Angelos dies be any different in terms of tax implications?

32 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Serious question - why would a sale after Angelos dies be any different in terms of tax implications?

The Yankees got lucky during a time when the Capital Gains Taxes lapsed.  George died and his sons did not have to pay taxes on it.  What a gift that was.  

4 hours ago, bluedog said:

Heirs don't pay capital gains taxes. Instead, the asset is valued at a stepped-up basis—the value at the time of the owner's demise.  So valued at $1.5B say taxable $1B that's a $200m haircut.

Edited by SemperFi